Specify display for full screen game

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GKZ, Dec 23, 2008.

1. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    I have a 19" LCD monitor as well as a 40" Sony TV plugged into my video card (using DVI and VGA respectively).

I would like to play a game, full screen, using the Sony TV which is currently a secondary monitor (as my LCD is used 99% of the time).

Currently I am using Omega's drivers but I am not tied to them. I've tried running the official version as well, but with neither set of drivers have I found any option to control which display is used.

Thanks in advance!

2. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    The whole subject of secondary and primary screen displays depends on the application and the drivers. In the past, BSplayer would only show a movie on the primary display while MCP would show a movie on both. More recent versions of BSplayer play on both. That's what I mean by it depending on the application as well. Currently, I have my projector and my LCD hooked up to my card, both with DVI. They are cloned in CCC and the LCD is set as primary. With previous drivers I could see the game simultaneously on both displays, but with the current ones I can only see the game on my LCD screen. The easiest option is just to switch the LCD to secondary and your TV to primary before you want to play a game. A better but more time consuming option is to test different versions of drivers.
    Goodluck,
    S

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  3. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    Do you have any idea how old of drivers you used to clone the displays?

What is CCC? I'm guessing Catalyst Control Center..?

4. makavelipr

makavelipr New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 6700 XT
    Hi,
    did you try the hydravision package for your ATI?, i think that you can control that and more from there.

5. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    I installed Hydravision and checked it out..but I really don't see any options as far as a full screen game. I only see things for any window (remembering it's size and position) and dialog boxes.

6. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    You can set profiles in Catalyst Control Center that enable certain displays with the appropriate settings. It's how I have my TV set up. I have a profile for each game, with the relative settings for the game, plus which monitor I want it on. For instance, when I want to start dead space, my main monitor is turned off, switched to my TV, then dead space is launched. All with one click.

7. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    @GKZ,
    I wouldn't go into the whole mess of Hydravision and all that. Yes,
    I meant Catalyst Control Center (CCC). I believe the drivers were the ones I got with my card which were the official 8.7 drivers. Again, there may be many ways around this problem (such as Hydravision and all kinds of different utilities) but I know for a fact that with previous official ATI CCC drivers it works fine in regular clone mode. You don't have to create any CCC profiles or anything like that. You just have to set up your displays as clones in the CCC display settings and hope that the drivers you have installed allow the game to be viewed on the secondary display. If not, you just right click on one of the screen icons and choose swap display mapping. This changes secondary to primary and vice versa.This takes a second to do. Again, if you have the time and motivation to find a way to set up profiles for certain applications like the previous poster suggested, you can go for that as well.
    S

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  8. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    You can do just two profiles, if you prefer. One for normal usage and one for TV gaming. I do more than one because I don't have a wireless mouse and my TV is kind of difficult to see from my desk, so it's hard to launch the games.

9. GKZ

GKZ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4890 1GB
    At this point the best solution I have and what I've been using is to have a single display when playing games, the TV. Then turn it back on both displays during normal use.