Catalyst 8 in Win2k?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LinkDrive, May 27, 2008.

1. Fedyon

Fedyon Member

GPU:
    X1950Pro 512Mb AGP
    I'm not very sure but installing under safe mode may be problematic; rather, it's something wrong if it won't install under normal mode at the first place.

Uninstall normally, reboot, boot normally, and then do install as I described before, using official ATI's Cats backnumber. No extra cleaning should be needed (some cleaning tools are known to hazardous). If it doesn't go normally (i.e. need to go safe mode etc), then something is wrong already.

BTW if you run setup.exe in driver folder and not having CCC, you can run setup.exe in CCC folder afterwise (of course requires proper .NET installation).

2. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Yea i bought the game years ago, never did finish it. I will install after i get done a few of my games which i have already install and playing. Chaser is fun, and going into that big city looks amazing, you know at that club. And then once you get outside the club, if you look in the sky, bombs are dropping and some stuff other stuff. The game has some very nice level designs.

Oh and btw, Unreal gold runs great with the patch. Using D3D9 render and i get around 30-90fps, which is good. :)

I had to reinstall ati drivers using this same card when i was using XP home edition. On XP at the desktop my computer will freeze and i had to install in safe mode. Using w2k, i can install in both, but the driver only installs correctly in safe mode. Either way, everything is working just fine.
    [​IMG]
    Using the Visiontek 2400HD PCI version.

I am using a older version of ATT. 8.3 CCC don't work, but others may , but i don't feel like installing it. Everything is working good.

Thanks/peace :)

3. Fedyon

Fedyon Member

GPU:
    X1950Pro 512Mb AGP
    If you have the problem on WXP too, it's out of scope of this thread... I'm assuming that at least all the hardware is properly functioning.

As for CCC (in case you changed your mind), be careful to .NET's version requirement which differs depending on Cat's version.

4. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I don't think its a problem. Installing drivers in safe mode or normal shouldn't matter and my games and my hardware work just fine. I just played Jericho for about 2 hours str lol, temps stay at 39c the whole time, no issues. Everything is working just fine.

About CCC, i have net 2.0 install. Sometime tomorrow, i plan to do some more testing to see what drivers, ccc work. I will let you know results late tomorrow. But so far, 8.1 - 8.4 seems to work and install. I got the BSOD trying to install 8.6. , 8.11 install, but couldn't change out of 640x480. So i will do some more testing tomorrow.

peace

5. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Nope, only up 8.4 is working. I tried drivers 8.5 - 8.12, even beta ones, none of them work. 8.3 is the best driver for my card. I have to wonder what did ati do to their drivers to make them stop working on w2k?

6. jtleon

jtleon Member

GPU:
    Gainward 7800GS+ 512Mb
    Ditto that General.

ATI surely did not invest significant time to disable things for W2K...it should be an easy change to an inf - at the worst case.

jtleon

7. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    I haven't found a clue to what to replace or add to the inf , so i am kinda lost to what to do. I guess a hardcore modded can figure it out. If you guys do, post the results.

Hey jtleon I see that you are using a Intel Pentium III. I am too, but its at 600MHZ.

8. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    Well I'm looking into this guys, but i haven't been able to source the problem as why the newer releases aren't working has anybody tried this:

* Take the last know driver that works for W2K
    * Download latest 8.12
    * Replace the driver files from last good known working driver B_***** folder with the ones from the 8.12 driver
    * Run the installer as normal.

Trying this will use the old setup.exe / msi files and such, but will install the latest 8.12 driver files

Also be sure to edit the SOURCE driver files in the INF file of the last good known dirver as the new 8.12 drivers contain some more DLL / Manifest files.

If anybody can try this now it would help me allot to in my research. As I'm trying to get the 8.12's to work with Win2K and i think what i described above will work. The problem i had (seems the CATALYST 6.4 / 8.4 was the last know supported driver for 2K / XP ??)

9. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    You said to replace the 8.4(example) or 8.3 bin driver files with the 8.12 bin files?
    But wouldn't that just install the 8.4 or 8.3 drivers, because you completely overwritten the 8.12 with a old version, so how would it install the 8.12?

Also, what are you talking about when you said edit the source driver files in the inf?
    I looked at the INF, but didn't understand anything to change or replace.

10. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX

11. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Link is broken

12. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    well i'm not allowed to link to my site. But if you take the link above (right click copy link) and get on the DNA site you can download it (hotlinking protection)

13. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    No, driver doesn't work. Seems like the last driver for ati users using w2k is 8.4. Oh well, thanks for trying. I am switching over to Nvidia soon with a new BFG 8400GS 512MB PCI card for this rig, and use this Radeon 2400HD for my new rig and i will use your DNA 8.12 with that.

peace

14. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 480 8gb
    I was able to use ATI officials on Server 2003. If it's the same as win2k then yeh it'll work. Just add your card to the .inf and install via Device Manager.

15. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Windows Server 2003 is the same as W2k, can you install SP4 and that update roller to it, also can you confirm that it will work?
    I would like to see some sort of proof.

I notice that you have windows 2003 and are using a GTX280, Nvidia drivers always seem to work, but if you can firm that ati drivers work on windows server 2003, then i will buy it. Its only 15 dollars at my pc shop, the same price which i paid for w2ksp4.

16. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Btw what is a server 2003, it only says windows 2000 advanced server and Windows 2000 Server over at wikipedia

17. Fedyon

Fedyon Member

GPU:
    X1950Pro 512Mb AGP
    No, no, no, Sever2k3's kernel is NT5.2 and is a fork of WXP (NT5.1). A bit far from W2k (NT5.0).

And sure, Server2k3 should behave almost as is WXP (and usually perform better). But be warned that all editions are marked as "Server" (of course) and because of that e.g. almost all antivirus products for home users will be likely to refuse installing on it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  18. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Well i am not going to upgrade, i am happy with w2k 2000. If someone does find a way to make 8.5 and up on w2k, please share the news. I kinda give up trying to figure out what to do. Oh well, 8.4 drivers get the job done a plenty. :)

peace

19. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    nevermind i got full opengl support as well. I had the modded drivers install, so i just install your agp drivers over top of them and now i have opengl :banana:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  20. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    !!!!!!!!!!!BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All credit goes to this person:
    http://win2kgaming.site90.com/phpBB2/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7

8.10/8.12 Windows 2000 Drivers( They Work )

#1 http://win2kgaming.site90.com/phpBB2/index.php
    This is awesome site for w2k users:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/
    Make sure you bookmarked this site

You can also translate the site in english:

#3 Here are the links:

http://blog.livedoor.jp/blackwingcat/archives/571484.html

ATI 2000

http://pub.idisk-just.com/fview/n0c...98kgz0dfCFkK10LXJeigzxTTvTak6FqRoXriW3Fbw.zip
    http://pub.idisk-just.com/fview/n0c...98kgz0dfCFkK10LXJeigzxTTvTak6F3qrfxW6uIkc.zip
    http://pub.idisk-just.com/fview/n0c...K10LXJeigzxTTvTak6FfqBAVJdQ5PCp9nvse_fa1w.zip

8.10, 8.11, 8.12 beta.

I have no idea how they did it, but man, someone needs to find out, so they also can mod the older drivers also. I install 8.10 and it work, but i am about to install 8.12 beta :)

Enjoy!