9600GT BIOS v62.94.21.00.16 update, anyone tried it as yet?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Lich King, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Lich King

Lich King New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600GT XXX 512MB
    Hi everyone, I'm new here, this is my first post etc etc.

I want to know if anyone tried the latest 9600GT BIOS v62.94.21.00.16 update? I am asking because I updated my XFX 9600GT to this new BIOS from version 62.94.11.00.08 and I think the fan speed is no longer at 100% at instances where the driver isn't loaded. Usually as soon as I turn on my PC the GPU fan would start at 100% and be loud until the OS loads the driver for it. However I noticed it is no longer noisy at start up and I don't know if that is a good thing or not.

As with every other GPU BIOS update I have done, I manually inspected the BIOS file with Nibitor to make sure it is compatible with my card and all the fan speed settings were at 100% in there.

Anyone happens to own a card with stock BIOS v62.94.21.00.16 ? Or any with prefix 62.94.21 ?

Any help or advice would be appreciated here. Thanks.

According to this hardware monitoring log everything works fine once the OS loads the driver for the gpu. This result shows the fan temp and speed increasing when I run DMC4 then decreasing after I quit the game. I must ask though if this result is good or not? If I get no problems I guess I will keep this new BIOS because it is certainly newer than what I had before. The only thing I worry about is when I use Live Linux distros they don't usually load a specific gpu driver to control the fan speed so normally the gpu fan would always run at 100% so I hope it doesn't cause any overheating while no device specific driver is loaded.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  2. Shinzok

Shinzok Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 2GB
    Ehhmmmm.... why did you flash your XFX 9600GT in the first place ????:bang:

Ehmmm... I do have a XFX 9600GT myself with it's original BIOS....

But it's a XFX 9600GT XXX Alpha Dog Edition... So not sure if your card is going to like the increased default clock speeds....

The version I have = 62.94.29.00.14

I could upload it somewhere if ya like... But maybe you should check xfxforce.com website and maybe ask them for information... (They have been very helpfull to me when I asked them nicely about stuff... :))

3. Lich King

Lich King New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600GT XXX 512MB
    Well the only problem there is last time I asked them for a BIOS update they agreed to help after much begging on my behalf then they assured me they will get me the latest BIOS update because I was experiencing some crashing in certain games at the time. However they took 3 weeks to send me the original same version of BIOS the card came with thus never solving my problems and totally unwilling to assist me. I dunno maybe you could open a support ticket and ask them for the latest BIOS they got, even if it's for your card I will just mod the clock speeds ;).

Anyway my 9600GT is the XXX edition so the only difference between your Alpha Dog and my card is the core in yours should be 740Mhz and mine is 700Mhz. When I bought mine they didn't have the Alpha Dog edition as yet so I took they best that was available but surprisingly my card does work stable at 740Mhz but it runs 5C hotter and the benchmarks were only a few hundred points higher so for me that was not worth it to leave it OC at 740Mhz.

As for your offer to give me your firmware you bet I want it :D!!!
    I prefer if you boot into DOS and back it up with the latest nvflash but if that isn't doable then save it with the latest GPU-Z which I think is version 3 currently.

Also I never worry about the clock speeds on the BIOS files I use because I always change them to what my card runs at before I flash them. I also don't worry about the brand of card it came from but I am glad you have an XFX as well this way I don't need to alter those things in the BIOS file, hehe. My first BIOS flash was from an EVGA 9600GT SSC then I took one from a BFG and this latest one I did was from an MSI card. Although I prefer to stick to XFX, EVGA, and BFG because all 3 of them are just rebranded cards with the same reference design and firmware so I am always sure they will work. This is the first time I tried an MSI gpu bios and I was surprised it worked but I am glad you have an even later version on an XFX card. :D

I will PM you my email address so you can send it but you will have to zip it and set a password if it doesn't go through because Gmail is sometimes an idiot and blocks binary files even though they are not viruses.

4. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    i just recently got a second 9600GT, and it has the bios 62.94.21.00.00, not sure if it has any more performance than the one with 62.94.0D.00.02. though i did see a 2.0x SLI performance in some games... even a bit more. O_O (30-45FPS in cod4 to 91FPS)

not sure if these bios updates would help things, but im not an expert in this so i would not risk it personally.
    the original one still has the 100% fan issue upon startup, but im not sure if the new one has the same thing. it might, or it might not. cant really tell.

5. siavash123

siavash123 New Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 295
    hi
    I need bios XFX 9600GT XXX Alpha Dog Edition
    please upload the bios of your graphic card
    somewhere and send me the link for download
    bios is very important for me
    (XFX 9600GT XXX Alpha Dog Edition)
    thanks

6. Lich King

Lich King New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600GT XXX 512MB
    I have BIOS XFX.9600GT.PCIe.512MB.Rev.04 v62.94.11.00.81
    I just need to know what are your alphadog clock speeds and voltages so I can change it for you.

7. paradox

paradox Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GTX 470 on HDTV
    were do you download VGA bios from?I wanna try it also. cant seem to find it for Point of View

8. Lich King

Lich King New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600GT XXX 512MB
    I get from http://www.mvktech.net/ and http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/. Brand is irrelevant, in fact my first update to my XFX card was from an EVGA BIOS file because the EVGA one was the latest BIOS around. All you HAVE to do is modify the device ID, and vendor ID, and clock speeds in Nibitor before you flash it. My second bios update to my XFX 9600GT was from a BFG BIOS file. My third and latest update came from an XFX BIOS this time which is the one I quoted in my previous post. All the BIOS with same major version numbers are basically the same thing because they are built for the same platforms, and Nibitor can change the branding and clock speeds for you. I managed to overclock my XXX edition card to Alpha Dog speeds without any problems but I am not that enthusiastic about FPS anymore, just not getting the time to play games these days.

The one thing that will fail for certain is trying to flash a BIOS version that uses different voltage parameters, even if you change them it will most likely still mess it up and you will have to blindly reflash a backup BIOS.

I can help you mod the BIOS file if you have any problems. Remember to always backup and learn the steps to boot your pc from cd or usb flash drive blindly. I also recommend you make a batch file that includes a script to reflash ur backup in the event the bios is messed up and you need to revert. That way if you need to revert it becomes easy, all you have to do is boot your pc from a flash drive or cd and execute your batch file, press Y to confirm flashing and wait for the process to finish. They assist you by lighting up the keyboard lights while flashing is in progress then beeping when done.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2009
  9. paradox

paradox Master Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GTX 470 on HDTV
    very nice explanation ty. so it doesent matter if I take Asus or Gigabyte?does the GT, GTX, GTX+ matter?

10. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    BTW do you change the voltage with nibitor?

i found that it does not work for over-volting.

11. Lich King

Lich King New Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600GT XXX 512MB
    It might matter if the core is different, you can tell by the major revision numbers in the bios versions. By that I mean the "62.94" part of the number v62.94.11.00.81 for example. The next part ".11." might have some significance too as it may indicate certain changes that may cause incompatibility between firmwares for example changes in the voltage id. I will say more about this below. However some may work even if that part of the firmware version is different for example in the first post in this topic I said I successfully flashed my card to firmware v62.94.21.00.16 which has a 21 instead of 11 but I was not comfortable with the changes to the fan speed algorithm so I used v62.94.11.00.81 instead.

No I absolutely never change the voltage ID on nibitor as in my experience it has never resulted in any success, lol. The first thing I check on a firmware is whether the voltage id matches the one my card can work with, for example some are set to 1.0 others are 1.1 etc. Once the voltage is different from what my card uses I won't even try modding the firmware to use it because it won't work. The thing is there are so many firmwares out there that you can absolutely find a newer one that will work with your card. The problem is some contain text on it that contain the brand name like albatron firmware for example. I never bother with brands like that because it is easy to get other great brands that stick to the exact nvidia reference design and therefore most likely have compatible generic firmwares like XFX, eVGA, BFG, they all have the best firmwares to use to update your cards because they never change anything except the clock speeds. In fact were it not for the logo on the heatsink there would be zero difference between XFX, eVGA and BFG cards.

I only wish that someday nvidia would see the importance of releasing firmware to the public with a changelog, because enthusiasts and gamers could solve many of their own problems if this were the case.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Umm, yes...that does matter. In the case of the GF9 series, GT is 112SP G92...GTX is 65nm G92 with 240SP and higher clock speeds. GTX+ is 55nm G92 with 240SP and even higher clocks. If your card fails after flash and is still under warranty.. they can compare the bios to that used on other cards of the same model....if it doesn't match, warranty = void.

13. Shinzok

Shinzok Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 770 2GB
    Oh crap, I did send some users this bios . And it is uploaded with the GPU-Z program, but for some reason it doesn't show in the damn list there :(

here is the bios file:
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/250658651/GF9600GT-XXX-AD-740.rar
    Hope you all happy now this is the 62.94.29.00.14 version of the BIOS that the card came with when I buy it.

here are is some more info about the actual card:
    Code:
    [CENTER]Graphics Processor Properties 
    Video Adapter XFX GeForce 9600 GT 512MB
    BIOS Version 62.94.29.00.14
    GPU Code Name G94GT
    PCI Device 10DE-0622 / 1682-2365  (Rev A1)
    Transistors 505 million
    Process Technology 65 nm
    Die Size 238 mm2
    Memory Size 512 MB
    GPU Clock (Geometric Domain) 740 MHz  (original: 740 MHz)
    GPU Clock (Shader Domain) 1850 MHz  (original: 1850 MHz)
    RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
    Pixel Pipelines 16
    TMU Per Pipeline 1
    Unified Shaders 64  (v4.0)
    DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v10
    Pixel Fillrate 11840 MPixel/s
    Texel Fillrate 23680 MTexel/s[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Memory Bus Properties 
    Bus Type GDDR3
    Bus Width 256-bit
    Real Clock 999 MHz (DDR)  (original: 1000 MHz)
    Effective Clock 1998 MHz
    Bandwidth 62.4 GB/s[/CENTER]

[CENTER]nVIDIA ForceWare Clocks 
    2D/3D GPU: 740 MHz, Shader: 1850 MHz, Memory: 1000 MHz[/CENTER]

PS: My PCB = BLACK PCB, so I guess it is not reference design. Just so you know. I won't be responsable for any damage that may come from using my BIOS.

14. IDSG89

IDSG89 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090
    i try to change the vid voltage table in nibitor and flash it but i see no difference in oc headroom, anyone knows how to make it work, i dont wanna do hard mods, and if i puto that bios in my card (pny brand) there will be problems?, my card can achieve that clocks

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  15. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    what drivers are you guys using with 9600gt on win7 x64... um experiencing sudden lockups....