Brilliant article on piracy by Koroush Ghazi(he from tweakguides)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by kwak, Dec 13, 2008.

1. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    One thing I've never quite understood is the relative price stability of video game releases.

I've never seen a major release product sold for $20. My simple mind wonders if the laws of economics apply to video games of all formats.

1. Does it have to do with demographics never changing?
    2. Is there always a constant number of people who are willing to purchase these products?
    3. Is there minimal room for growth that dictates that $50-60 is going to bring in the required revenue, and thus reducing the price will not attract a broader audience?

Just my thoughts - Please enlighten.

2. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Maybe you should read my post. I didn't reply to your post and I wasn't directing any of my comments at you. I was referring specifically to Cybermancer and Khan.

3. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I had a radeon rage32mb, then gf 440mx and finally a x800 xt pe in Peru, this is to show u that there was hardware but no legal software. That is not my fault, it is the area restrictions some publishers have. I had capable rigs and I wanted to play games so i pirated(there was no steam). I know it is bad, there is no justification when there is a digital store or retail either u have money or not to buy them.
    you dont have money, get a job. are u in college? get a part time... there is no excuse really.

Good luck

4. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i know, was just saying that in your case might've been justifiable because the games were not available :)

lol you guys always get onto each other's back, sup? :D

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Nah, I love him really. I'm going to Woking tonight (he knows it's only a few miles down the road from him) I might call him out for a pint... ,.-)

6. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    In spain we pay canon, which means x% of hard disk or cd/dvd, even printers goes to pay that, while we have to pay that, i'll keep on with piracy.

Thats all.

Anyways whats wrong with piracy, the effect on developers about non-buying or pirating its the same. No piracy = not enuf hardware sellings = no "nvidia, meant to be played" = no money from hardware producers = no games.

The only games i bought were age of empires series (which gave me more profit than cost), and fx games like imperium etc.... which cost 20€ on release and give many hours of fun.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  7. Khan

Khan Guest

GPU:
    HIS ATI 4870 X2
    I don't know, for sure. These are deep questions. But I don't know what a 'major' release product is. Care to quantify?

In my experience, games (for PC) are now costing ~$40-50 (US$, in US) at release, with the odd $20-$30 game (crysis warhead anyone? :)). I'm cool with this. I also hear that most high profile games cost a bajillion dollars to make, so I understand when a game is priced @ $50 and doesn't move for a while.

What I don't understand is when I hear folks in Europe or Australia talking about games costing effectively $100. What the hell is that ****? Who comes up with these prices? Are there tariffs or something?

Does anybody know anything about this noise?

8. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    How exactly does the digital canon in Spain help fight piracy? It seems like it's just a straight up tax for no reason.

9. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    The Canon in Spain dont cover software applications, share software under copyright is still illegal.

10. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    The exchange rates will create disparity in prices for each of us - but there is definatly a tendency to inflate prices overseas, compounded with any local taxes.

To clarify the point about major releases, examples would be as such and this covers all the gaming formats.

Half Life Series
    Halo Series
    MotorStorm
    Resistance Series
    Gears of War Series
    Madden Series
    Most major RPG's and Platform games were also costly some them being more so than others.
    etc...

The outliers in terms of units shipped are also the big name ones such as The Sims, Half Life 2, Gears of War, Halo Series which sold very well.

Now of course the industry doesn't run on 5 or 6 titles, but on my different titles. My question is would titles which had less production value than the blockbuster ones, have a better chance at penetrating the market if their costs were reduced and marketing/hype machine increased?

There is also the possibility that game review sites will (fairly or unfairly) crush a games hopes of becoming a market success with reviews that are negative whether or not the games deserves it.

The reason I ask is because I'm sure price (high or low) is one of the top reasons for piracy, as it is for many things that are routinely stolen.

11. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    The Canon in Spain try compensate to artist for the copies becouse in Spain you can share your legit purchased music, movies and books.

That is why programs like emule is born in Spain.

EDIT:

The article despite having more than 9 pages is incomplete and is not balanced, collects many partial data and performs conclusions based about them.

This thread have no end, and have no conclusions becouse the theme is more complex than that whole article said.

Guys, leave this :deadhorse:

12. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    I know what it's cover, it doesnt cover nothing, you cant use piracy anyways, just a bunch of stealer robbing every1, it doesnt even go to public services, just a private bunch of crappy artists the most failure artist ever is their leader, so you know...

Well, we have a limit, if you have 300programmes/cds with piracy, you can get jailed, otherwise the most they can do to you its.... destroy de cds

They r just getting hated by every1, and some ppl just use piracy bcs they are supossed to do, since they pay the tax xD.

Anyways ill be using piracy till i start to develop software, then ill pay em i suppose, watch its this way, people gets addicted to games pirating, and when they r older they buy em xD, for me it has nothing bad.

Being a robber its not bad, unless you steal to the normal people, but stealing big companies, i dont see nothing bad, thats the good effect of capitalism, you can be OK with stealing them, since you know they'll steal it from other side xP.

13. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    People can state why they pirate a game, but in no way are they justified in pirating a game.

I am not saying anyone in this thread has claimed this (aka, don't quote my thread and say no one claimed this and get off topic), but the fact that you cannot afford a game, whether that is a personal problem, or a problem related to cost of goods in your area, does not justify stealing. If you believe that this case justifies stealing, your logic is VERY flawed.

As Khan said before, games are not necessary. Games are entertainment. You can live without games (I know some of you might find that hard to believe, but I claim that it is in fact true). If it was a different situation in which a NECESSARY entity was being withheld due to high costs (assuming that the high costs and profits outweigh the severity of the entity), I would have no problem arguing that stealing, in that situation, is justified.

For example, if you were claiming that the cost of food was very high, and the ONLY reason the cost of food was high was because some agency was making an insane amount of profit off of each purchase, I would argue that stealing in this case is justified on the basis that they are withholding a NECESSARY entity (food).

Another thing, which many people do not realize, is that the Open Source community also suffers when people pirate software. Although this might sound outrageous, it definitely seems plausible. I know several people that would not pay $100+ for Microsoft Office, but would definitely use Open Office for free. However, because they can EASILY pirate Microsoft Office, instead of using Open Office, they steal Microsoft Office. (If you claim that my example is terribly irrational, both of my roommates did not pay for their microsoft office, and I asked them if they had to pay $100 for Office or could use Open Office for free, both said open office).

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  14. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    While what you are saying is true and quite obviouse - it doesn't further the argument. Regardless of stealing anything even for life and death situations it is still wrong. Wrong and right can always be clearly drawn in the sand if you wish to put blinders on, but that is not the issue at hand.

The issue here is similar to that of drug use. It is very easy to acquire drugs and there is nothing the goverment can do to stop you from doing so and consuming it. With digital media its even easier than that. The main problem is that these multi-billion dollar distribution corporations have failed to properly implement a strategy of some kind to reduce the percieved impact on their business.Only recently have services like Steam been introduced. So far Steam is the only one I've used so with great success and convenience overall for digital distribution of games, and there is itunes for music etc...

These large companies must come up with a strategy that is appealing to the greater population who consume their product otherwise they will continue wasting money on the RIAA and creating clandenstine laws and public policy which will do nothing but erode their already shaky public opinion. The general population doesn't generally sympathize with multi-billion dollar companies.

The issue is not whether it is wrong or right or peoples reasons for doing it. Those don't matter because at the end of the day, no matter what we do there will always be piracy, drug use, theft of auto's, stabbings and rape and bombings in the world.

The issue is whether these companies are ready to move on from the traditional methods of distribution and even possibly creating products which require purchase for maximum enjoyment (eg. Good multiplayer extentions).

We see it happening already - I myself used to pirates games "because I could". Now I love multiplayer so much I buy 85% of all my games, the other 15% I pirate or don't bother looking up.

If the product is good piracy will not be a problem for the company. To this day there is no detailed accurate report on the money lost directly because of piracy because there can never be such a figure. Some people will never play the game because they never afford is such an example. Someone downloading media from the web doesn't directly translate to lost revenue.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  15. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Yeah I've been trying to get at this but people insist on preaching their high-horse ethics lessons.

I'm not really sure I see the parallel between the drug trade and video game piracy...

Agreed. Certain developers/publishers need to stop using piracy as a catch-all scapegoat for all their problems.

16. zhackore

zhackore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 570
    Well to bring greater detail - if the people who cracked games were all rounded up, then the video game piracy would drop for a short while until new groups are formed and begin again. Same with thing with busting drug dealers and import/exporters - For a short period of time the trade will drop consumption will halt, until new people fill the void.

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i'm not bothering to read the article but why are discussing piracy....again? [​IMG]

Its not like its going to have an impact on our daily gaming lives. your all still going to either deal with DRM, be it legal or not and complain or play console games...thats the reality that matters. Send the article to all the Publishers or email your opinion to them if you actually care and want to make a difference.

otherwise this is a waste of time. no one here is going to change another guru's opinion on the subject just like you didnt in the last dozen piracy threads.

18. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Because this is a discussion board, where you discuss things. Obviously nothing here is going to affect anyone's life or the state of the industry. None of the threads on this board are going to affect anyone because it's a god damn discussion board for video games.

19. RyoHazuki

RyoHazuki Member Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy GTX 780 HOF

Don't mean to butt in and just tell me if I misunderstood you or anything, but UE4 is also being developed for the PC. The guy who announced about UE4 being for next generation consoles was misunderstood and what he meant was it wouldn't be available to the current gen of consoles but it will be available for PC as well.

20. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    whining and complaining obviously makes you feel better, thats the source of the problem as to why we suffer with DRM. action is far louder than words.
    i also think you forgot that this "discussion board" is rampant with this very thread topic and there is nothing more to discuss...its already done discussed, you didnt add anything new.