POV 9800gt fan speed

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by my_lo, Dec 14, 2008.

1. my_lo

my_lo Member

GPU:
    POV 9800GT - 1 Go DDR3
    Hello,

I have recently upgraded to a point-of-view 9800 GT (1Go) and i have a little problem. I don't hear a difference in the fan speed when i launch a 3d application like call of duty 4 or any other game.

I have tried to check it with rivatuner but the low-level fan option isn't even available... I use the drivers provided by POV: 178.13

I have checked the temp and it's 42°c in 2D and goes to 60-68°c when playing COD4.

When i check the monitor for fan duty cycle, it says 100% and i can't change it with the direct control in the system tweaks.

Is it normal?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  2. my_lo

my_lo Member

GPU:
    POV 9800GT - 1 Go DDR3
    I have now been playing 1 hour of COD 4 and all went fine, temp 60 °c max, i think the fan is turning at 100% all the time, how could i do to make it slower in 2d since rivatuner doesn't help?

3. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Try EVGA's Precision Tool.

4. my_lo

my_lo Member

GPU:
    POV 9800GT - 1 Go DDR3
    Ok, no more results with EVGA's Precision Tool which apparently is no more than a simplified version of riva tuner.
    I have contacted the support of point-of-view and here is the answer:

< It is not possible to adjust the fan-speed, because the card is not equipped with a fan-controller >

I should have asked them first, it would have avoided me hours of struggle :bang:

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Thank you for sharing this info with us, my_lo. I was looking into that yesterday, but couldn't find anything online, mentioning that your card doesn't have a fan controller, so therefore I didn't mention it either. At least now we know what your problem was and hopefully it will help others in the same situation... ;)

6. my_lo

my_lo Member

GPU:
    POV 9800GT - 1 Go DDR3
    Thanks for your help anyway, cyberbuddy ;)