Newest Games Rating Chart (SPOILS)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by St3nic3, Dec 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    The only I thing I understood from that post is that Carl-Brit does not use punctuation. At all.

2. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Ieldra was correct when he said you are looking for something more along the lines of a gameplay video. You don't want a review, you want a description or example of the game so that you can make your own decision based on what you see.

Nobody is trying to find hidden meaning in your posts; they're just trying to wrap their heads around your odd criticisms of media reviews.

Wrong. When IGN reviews a game, they are supposed to give you PROS and CONS in an attempt to give the reader a better idea of how good a game is.

What you want sounds like a description/summary of a game... or a video, or a demo or something.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    you see graphics and what it looks like in game, you se its genre. little else and ...again....was not what i said at all. that wont tell you if its the game for you or not

it was fairly simple. you dont get it by now, you never will

Fri4rtuck said my point the best in the fewest words

4. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Maybe you should re-read some of what you wrote, because you are making two separate points in your posts. The first point is that you don't value the opinions of anyone except yourself a few of your like-minded friends. I think everyone posting in this thread understands that point. Your other point is regarding the nature of reviews is what's so problematic:
    Wrong. They give you their opinion on the quality of the game. That's what the number means at the end of the review; it's the overall score of the game on a scale of 1-10.

Read what you wrote. You contradicted youself when you tried to claim that a review shouldn't make statements with positive or negative connotations, but then admitted that they must judge each element of the game. You're right that they must make judgments. You can't just say "Crysis has graphics." You have to say "Crysis has "good graphics" or "Crysis has bad graphics" or the reader won't know what to think. When you give Crysis a 10 for graphics, they know that it has really excellent visuals.

It is the reviewer's professional responsibility to inform the reader that the game sucks for reasons x, y, and z. I don't know how you could think otherwise. Are they supposed to say "this game sucks for these reasons but just buy it anyway?" Hell no, that is what would be unprofessional.

Think about what you wrote. If you give Crysis Warhead an 8.5, then you are implying that it is better than games with scores below 8.5, and worse than games with scores above 8.5. Understand? A review is automatically biased and opinionated. If you don't say what sucks and what didn't then how the bloody hell did you arrive at your conclusion that it deserves an 8.5/10?

Basically, you're trying to say that critical reviews should avoid being critical, which is completely ridiculous.

By nature a review has to be critical and opinionated or it fails to serve its purpose, which is to inform the reader about every aspect of the game, including, the pros, cons, and overall quality of a game.

5. simo2k

simo2k Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780ti sc
    personally i disagree with the ratings that was given by the thread starter. ive played most games mentioned, deadspace in my opinion looks good but plays crap. fallout 3 again for me looks good but does nothing for me, cod 4 i played to death was awesome, ive got cod 5 but hardly played it only because i play a lot of left4dead cos its fun to play on expert and versus mode. far cry 2 is crap, crysis is so so, and stalker i didnt like it at all.

but what you guys have to think about is, this is my opinion i dont force it on anyone and i dont broadcast it around it is each individuals taste of what they want out of a game.

if you cant understand what im trying to say then basically your an idiot who just likes to argue cos this thread is FAIL from the start and just gets people to flame each other over opinions..

6. Cliff Bleszinsk

Cliff Bleszinsk Member

GPU:
    Gears of War 2
    I don't expect xrc6 to post here again. Not after being so badly teabagged by peter_molyneux.

7. Cliff Bleszinsk

Cliff Bleszinsk Member

GPU:
    Gears of War 2
    If we can't understand what you are saying it's because your post seems to have been written by a nutless monkey.

8. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    It's fairly simple.. if you don't get it now, you never will.
    You either forgot what you said in your previous posts, or were never aware of what you were saying.
    You explicitly said that reviews shouldn't 'force' an opinion on teh reader and it's not professional for the review to say "this game sucks".
    Here's your post;
    Now...
    What point do I keep missing ?
    From what you said there, you don't want a review. You want a guided tour of the game. You might as well read a walkthrough.
    Reviews have to be critical, informative and -most importantly- provide an argument as a basis for the decision to purchase the game or not.
    We're now past the talk about scores. We're discussing the essence and purpose of a review.
    Have I made my , and your, point clear enough to you ?

9. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    :3eyes:

10. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    You sir, are a genius. :D
    [​IMG]

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    This is ridiculous. Where are we here? In kindergarten?

Either grow up and learn to discuss something without insulting people or leave this thread.

12. Carl-Brit

Carl-Brit Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS 3870xt Turbo oc+
    Yes my bad i never was good at english at school xD

13. simo2k

simo2k Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780ti sc
    to be honest your all a bunch of morons i thought the guru3d community was ok but all i see lately is pointless posts and posts being critisiced by people such as peter and others. GROW UP

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    And closed.

The thread was destined to fail from the start, but at least all the crap was kept in one thread. Since it's now nothing more than a slagging match with nothing of real value as far as discussion goes, it gets closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.