Geforce 8800 GTX Blue Screen Crashing

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by ZombieHendrix, Nov 28, 2008.

1. ZombieHendrix

ZombieHendrix Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTX
    I started getting blue screen crashes in Call of Duty 4 a while back after long play sessions but I never had any problems with any other high-end games (crysis, stalker 1 & 2, Half-Life 2 games/mods) And now I'm getting them in Fallout 3 and they seem to be getting more frequent in Fallout and CoD.
    The Blue Screen mentions something about an error with the video card, but nvidia's help said it might be my mother board, so I updated my bios, but still recieved problems. My system was getting a bit bloated and I've recently done a clean install of Vista, but the problem still persists. But it no longer mentions a video error in the BSoD.

Any ideas or help? All my drivers should be up to date and a memtest86 scan said I have no errors in my memory.

*edit*
    It's saying specifically that nvlddmkm.sys is the error

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  2. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Which version drivers are you using?

nvlddmkm is part of the nvidia driver I believe.

Make sure you install the latest set of Nforce drivers and I suggest 180.70 (Fallout 3 works fine on it for me) which seems to be stable as well.

If your computer is overclocked, reset it to defaults. Make sure it can pass a Prime95 test too (to rule out other issues).

Also, what power supply do you have?

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Uninstall drivres , boot into safe mode run driver sweeper , boot back to windows normal reinstall latest WHQL Drivers from nvidia website.

4. hirmak

hirmak Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX285
    Install the latest update of COD 4 and don't use trainer or cheats :)

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=229865

There are plenty of reasons why you could get this error, ZombieHendrix. Have a look at the above thread. Hopefully you can find out what is causing this on your system...

6. ZombieHendrix

ZombieHendrix Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTX
    I'm getting pretty much exactly whats described in the thread Cybermancer linked to. I tried the MS hotfix patch, but my problem still persists. I was running on nvidia drivers 180.48 but tried 180.70 based on snip3_3's suggestion and that too has failed. And I am up to date on my CoD4 patches as well.

I am using a thermaltake 430w PSU that came with my "Matrix" tower, but PSUs and wattage control, overclocking, and temperature monitoring are things I'm not familiar with if they are the cause or partial cause of my error.

I appreciate everyone's help

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Possible that your PSU its starting to become unstable affecting your card , 430w for a 8800GTX its very hard on that little PSU. Try your card in another rig or try a different PSU. Good Luck.

8. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I totally agree, 430W is not enough for a 8800gtx. I even had trouble with a Silverstone 650W before bc of short of ampage.

9. ZombieHendrix

ZombieHendrix Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTX
    I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to PSUs, whats a good brand to go with? And how much wattage should I be looking to upgrade too? I see alot of 650s and 750s listed in user's profiles.

10. ZombieHendrix

ZombieHendrix Member

GPU:
    GeForce 8800 GTX
    Well, I upgraded to a Antec 850w PSU, but I"m still getting crashing!

I don't know what to try now.

11. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    So, you reinstalled your system, you bought a new PSU, tried different drivers, anything else besides that?

Did you install all the latest OS updates?

Did you try different chipset drivers?

Did you try different soundcard drivers?

Did you flash your motherboard with the latest BIOS?

p.s.: Although the new PSU didn't solve this problem for you, don't feel bad about buying it, though. It was a good decision, regardless, and should last you a while now. Having a good PSU is never wrong, and can prevent a lot of other problems, ZombieHendrix. ;)

12. Burrie1973

Burrie1973 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 mb
    I have exactley the same problem. started with driver 180.84 for GTA.
    now my system keeps crashing. "nlddmkm stopped working but recovered"

Please let me know when you find a solution

13. Kridian

Kridian Member

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB
    You could use Rivatuner to underclock the 8800GTX from 600mhz to 589mhz and see what that does. If it still BSODs then go down to 575mhz. Also (using Rivatuner) check and see what kind of temperatures it's putting out. 75+ is unacceptable in my book.

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    The stock clocks for a gtx is 575mhz core, and 75C is more than acceptable for g80; ~87C+ is when heat might start to affect things. Though checking your temperatures while gaming using Rivatuner or EVGA Precision is definitely a good suggestion, maybe your card is just full of dust and needs a clean.

15. LEXX911

LEXX911 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    I also have the 8800GTX video card and trust me. It's the combination of this card/Vista and the fcking Nvidia driver. Good luck in finding the driver that will work for you without the "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered". The only driver that is working for me is the 169.44. Any other driver I'll be getting the stupid "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered".

I would really like to know what's the different between the driver 169.44 compare to the later drivers.

For me, temp, underclocking, memory or PSU and all the sh!t suggestion doesn't help anything. It's the fcking Nvidia driver. It fcking obvious when 1 particular driver work and the rest doesn't.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008

16. Burrie1973

Burrie1973 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 GTS 640 mb
    omg i cant even browse in explorer anymore. system sometimes even crashes in desktop mode

17. b1gwest

b1gwest Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 ti
    I had lots of problems with the asus p5n-e sli motherboard. Switched to a 680i LT SLI and its been rock solid since

18. NQ Sonic

NQ Sonic New Member

GPU:
    nvidia 8800gtx sli
    I've been having this same issue, but it's not always the "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered". Sometimes it tells me the program tried to write to read only memory. Either way, it's definately driver realted. The only game that crashes is CoD4. I played and completed FarCry2 with the 180.xx drivers and never had one crash. I'm back to 175.xx and CoD4 works better but freezes once in a while now. I've updated everything, but nothing stops this issue. The one thing I haven't tried yet is switching to onboard sound. I read somewhere that Creative and Nvidia didn't always play nice together, but I can't remember the particular reasons.

My specs:
    Q6600 OC'd to 3.15 w/CNPS9700 Zalman cooler
    EVGA 780i
    2 - 8800gtx in SLI (stock clocks)
    Audigy Live soundcard
    2gig Corsair DDR2 PC8500
    PC Power & Cooling 750w PSU

The gtx's run hot per Riva's log file. They average about 85-87 at peak loads. I have new coolers on their way now, so we'll see if that helps too.

When I try the sound thing, I'll post if it helps.

19. Necronaught

Necronaught Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 280 - 180.60

I had the exact same issue with my old 8800gtx. 170xxx drivers get released and I crashed all the time on any game.

To the OP revert back to 169.44. My brother has my old card and he has no problems running modern games with those drivers, it's still a great card actually, I regret upgrading to a 280gtx tbh

20. Kridian

Kridian Member

GPU:
    GTX 680 2GB
    Wow, didn't think I'd ever see someone say that. So what's the deal with it?