Forceware 180.48 WHQL ftw ;-)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mistajista, Nov 19, 2008.

1. texasrattler

texasrattler Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW
    Note to be mean to anyone or anything but it has been well documented about dirver support for the GX2's. If you just recently got a GX2 and didn't fully read about gx2's then that's your fault. Going to just one site, reading one review, won't cut it.
    I was going to get a gx2 or 9800gtx+ but before I left to go buy it, I did one final search and found that why the 9800gtx+ plus was good and cheaper than my current Evga gtx 260 superclocked core 216 that I would likely benefit more out the gtx 260 than the 9800 gtx+. A friend has the gx2 and likes it alot but has said he has had issues with drivers. I have used the same drivers, same game and do not get his issues.
    I do agree that there is a lack of driver support from nVidia about the 9800 cards. Maybe they are trying to fix whatever the cause is and don't want to cause any alarm to people if they can fix whatever the issue(s) is/are.
    But again, these issues from nVidia are nothing new and have been around on the net for some time. People who bought a gx2 recently should have known better and should have known what to expect since people have been complaining over the 9800's for awhile.

2. starstreak

starstreak Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 280
    If I have a nvidia 280, and a older nvidia 8800GTX, can I put both in my computer SLI but have the 8800GTX do physX? If I do that, will my games slow down to the 8800gtx speeds? Or since its a difference series it wont work at all?

3. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    New driver works fine for me mind you I don't play the newest games....

4. INTEL

INTEL New Member

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GTS-T2D512E-OC
    I went back to 178.24 drivers, because can't use RivaTuner.

Everything totally crashes when I install Rivatuner over 180.48 drivers.

Firstly I noticed that "Fan" option was missing in "System tweaks"
    and after reboot computer totally freezed, need to go Safe Mode and uninstall 180.48 drivers.

Everything works fine with 178.24 and RivaTuner v2.11.

5. rimmer66

rimmer66 Banned

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC
    No- these are the Big Letdown 2 WHQL drivers :3eyes: Bloody NVIDIA had all this time to sort out very obvious bugs in 180.43 and they didn't - The so-called "disguised" increase in performance is at the cost of IQ. Too many bugs, I mean christ doesn't NVIDIA see the obvious COD flickering and other problems or are they blindly releasing drivers ?
    Looks like the 178.24 are superior to some extent.

6. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    These drivers work great for me. Can't wait to replace my single 8800GT with 2 9800GT's :D

7. usher

usher Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX280 superclocked

I just spotted the new Rivatuner version with support for 180 drivers is due out tomorrow

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio

You do realise the 9800 GT is the same card, so seen as you already have one, why not just get another.

9. rimmer66

rimmer66 Banned

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC
    A new version of RIVA Tuner is coming out soon and will support the new sets of drivers.

Also - people, please learn how to read and interpret - You must be out of your mind if you expect that a driver will give you 80% higher frame rate - Don't forget the "UP TO xxx % performance increase" it will depend on many factors - KEEP in mind that sometimes to get higher performance you have to sacrifice elsewhere, those very hidden switches NVIDIA set in the driver, that you do not have access to in CP and which is a closely guarded secret - so let's not get all excited over performance, what matters to me the most is image quality and no anomalies during gaming - there is only so much the eye can see - and when your frame rate is already high and already decent, it's kind of strange to expect anymore - The big Gangbang 2 drivers are a major let down for sure, because there are a lot of oustanding bugs that NVIDIA did NOT address eventhough a bloody 9 year old would spot them - so I'm just wondering if they hire monkeys in their QC department (probably) but anyways, here is my moto - If it ain't broke don't fix it - if you are HAPPY with your current drivers and you have decent frame rate already, stick to what works for you - is it worth updating to new drivers just for the thrills of installing something new if it gives you 5 FPS more that you will never even see, with outstanding bugs ? No.

Maybe it is time that game developers properly uptimize their code in the first place - we cannot keep relying on the monkeys at NVIDIA to do it for them! ;-)))

10. Raidflex

Raidflex Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 780 Ti SLI @1300/7500
    I have owned a 9800GX2 and had many issues with the card, luckily I had a EVGA step-up and got my GTX 280 for free.

But the problem is this card will not be fixed completely with a driver update. The card itself has limitations due to a low amount of memory and low 256-bit memory bus.

On top of the low mem/bus it is running in SLI which does have its issues. So all this compounds the performence of the card causing all kinds of problems depending on the game/application used.

This is why whenever AA/AF on high resolutions is enabled you can get extreme flucuations between FPS, because the card does not have enough video memory.

From my exprience with the card, what problems I did not have with higher aa/af at higher resolutions I ended up having trouble with SLI with certain games.

I do agree that NVIDIA does seem to ignore older generations with few improvements/fixes.

11. ThemNuts

ThemNuts New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX
    Got them installed aswell and i gotta say im satisfied so far.
    Played Farcry 2 and put everything on UltraHigh with 4xAA on 1920x1200 and had average of 45-50fps wich is beter then before (didn't get further then VeryHigh)

Another thing i would like to know is: Enables NVIDIA PhysX acceleration on a dedicated GeForce graphics card meaning that, when i receive my GTX280 next week, i can plug my old 8800GTX underneath and use that as PhysX card. Curious as to how this will work and if it will at all... would be a nice thing to do for an old Gcard.

As for GX2 performance, i can only recommend the new X58 chip as that is supposed to give first full support for decent SLI/CrossX scaling.

12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Im not in that boat, I bought mine in March (sold about 2 weeks ago) and your argument doesnt really hold. If they have serious and ongoing problems, the product line should be pulled. I agree that one should do one's research, but the reviews of the 9800GX2 are mixed at best.

The bottom line is that Nvidia seems to be neglecting a card that is relatively new and that is unacceptable IMHO.

E

13. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    I just don't get most of these posts?! I NEVER have any problems installing Nvidia drivers, and as well with these drivers they install just fine, SLI is enabled, Vantage, Crysis', Far Cry 2 all work flawlessly. Can use low level fan control with RT or like me I use the newest EVGA precision. I think some users have more issues with windows drivers and configs rather than what Nvidia drivers are causing. Just my opinion. BTW I will update my previous benchmark scores soon.

Driver cleaner and Safe Mode are your friends!!

14. Titan22

Titan22 Member

GPU:
    2x 9800GT SLI
    The dual monitor and SLI support doesn't seem to work. Once I enable SLI, the manage multiple display option disappears from nvidia control panel just like it used to. Can any other SLI-enabled users confirm this option is/isn't gone for them? Is it Vista only? I'm only in XP 32bit.
    Despite their similarities, the 8800GT and 9800GT do not work in SLI, I've tried. The only way to get those two to work in SLI is by flashing one to be the same as the other.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i never had a problem and i dont even uninstall the previous driver lol. sometimes i do but it seems to overwrite the previous on reboot anyway, never a problem.
    i wrote Nvidia an email about it once, they told me it wouldnt matter. hasnt for me so far after all these years.

16. Camster

Camster Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4890 OC
    Just curious. I think I'll install these but should I install the Physx software separately after the drivers or let it install it with the drivers? I know earlier versions of drivers with Physx installed better if done separately.

Cam

17. racingx

racingx Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 4070
    Drivers seem good but my ambient and load gpu temps went up aprox 3 degrees C. I have a dual boot with a older set of drivers and the temps do drop with the old ones.

8800gts 512m G92 BTW

18. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244

You just supported his argument. They're the same exact card when flashed to matching BIOS. There is no benefit to selling off your 8800GT and migrating to 9800GT SLI. Just get a second 8800GT or pick up a 9800GT and flash the card you own to match it. Just make sure the 9800GT you buy is 65nm and not 55nm.

19. paincakes

paincakes New Member

GPU:
    MSI 580 GTX Lightning 3GB
    With these drivers Counter-Strike:Source becomes corrupted if I use alt+tab or change certain graphic settings in-game. XP32

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  20. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    I would recommend installing them separately. Ive never had a problem installing everything at once but since there seems to be 3-4 drivers come out that all have the same physx I remove it so the drivers install faster.