Funny story today

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by vbetts, Nov 18, 2008.

1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So, me and my girlfriend are coming back from class(Her college is right down the street from the apprenticeship program I'm in), and we're stoped. Then we get rear ended.

Ohohoh, not but at all. But then, we take a look at our truck(a 98 suburban), nothing. No dent, no scratch, nothing at all. Now, we take a look at the ford van, front end is done for. Don't have any pictures, but true story, and kind of funny.

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    yeh its weird the front of cars just crunch up like tin foil lol.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i've seen accidents where the offender didnt cause any damage to the victim's but did quite a bit to theirs.

ealier this year, my g/f was in a parking lot backing up and some other woman was backing up too, they didnt see eachother and collided. caused nothing to my g/fs car but the other womans was dented pretty good.
    sad thing is...how can 2 people backing up not see eachother, not paying attention if you ask me. women's cars should have reverse disabled, they cant drive for crap.

4. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    Heh, they should just have the ignition disabled. :p Almost every time I see someone driving too slowly or doing something stupid I look and see a woman behind the wheel.

But yea, the fronts of cars are designed to crumple, which really sucks in low speed crashes.

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    crap dude
    don't you just hate when that happens?
    will the insurance cover it?

6. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    2 x claims for whiplash! Where there is blame there is a claim! lol Last time I was rear ended was at work in a Police Transit van and it was a police dog section mobile that hit us! Got me £1500!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  7. Solinari

Solinari Guest

GPU:
    MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr
    Front ends are designed that way, it's called a crumple zone.

8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    I was going to say but;

And supposedly it works.

9. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    still get ur vehicle checked out and the labour paid for by the other person, you never know there might be some internal damage done.

10. krisby

krisby Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970
    Yeah, I was hit a few months ago in my little work car, a 97 Suzuki Vitara (Escudo), the guy had a 98 Nissan Laurel and smashed into my back bumper, absolutely crumpled the front of his car in, oddly we couldn't see any damage on my car save for a little chisel in the plastic bumper, I had a look underneath and realized the whole rear bumper has a huge reinforced steel bar in it, lucky me...or so I thought.

After we had exchanged details I carried on my way, got some petrol a few kays down the road, when I turned around to point out my car to the cashier saw my front bumper was half missing! I saw burn marks round the left side front wheel arch and realized that the truck I thought I had missed (when shunted forward) I must have clipped the trailers rear wheels, which ripped my bumper out and ripped half off.

Still trying to deal with the insurance now as the other guy was not insured and is not accepting liability for my front bumper even though he pushed me into the other vehicle, trying to make the stupid dick understand that had he not hit me in the first place I would not have been pushed into the truck, but he's too thick (and foreign) to have any common sense obviously.

11. WCASD

WCASD Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS
    That's so weird!
    I was reversing and this DHL truck was as well and I just heard a clunk. I thought to mysel: "HOLY ****, not again, I just scratched the entire back door of a rental yesterday! (550 Euros fine, aiaiai)" So, I jump out of the car apologize (I don't know just out of instinct I went ahead and though it was my fault) checked the vans fender and saw a huge dent, looked at mine: ZERO. Turns out his dent was there before as well.

So, sort of really happy and sort of really pissed because I let something like this happen almost twice in a week (and it's only Tuesday!)

12. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    nothing is more embarrassing then oversteering a corner hitting the curb of the road and humping a lamppost... and being recorded on the traffic surveillance.. an being with a chick you like next to you

13. HanShot1st

HanShot1st Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x 4870 512mb DDR5
    I got rear-ended by some chick last year and the first thing out of her mouth was some lame effort to blame me. Typical bad American female driver not paying attention...always someone else's fault too. I hate bad drivers.

14. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Yesterday was our first dusting of snow here, and it froze solid.There were tons of accidents around here from black ice and people taking it too lightly.
    Glad you weren't hurt, it could have easily been a very un funny story.

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    have your front and back ujoints checked if not replaced.
    whats unlucky is a small car that rear ends you.
    i had a small nissan go up to the windshield under my bumper last yr when this girl was to busy on the phone to be driving.no visible damage to my truck till the ujoint busted on the highway taking my tranny's case with it.

16. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    Ever seen the new vehicles get hit by old 80's (crash tests on a TV Channel) and under trucks and see what happens very interesting new vehicles crashing into each other is fine but when a old one is involved sometimes the new vehicle gets destroyed when the old one gets a little dented.

17. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    because of the crumple zones in the new cars... i guess you might have more chance to survive if you hit a 20 year old car of the same weight because yours absorbs more impact instead of your body, but you risk more damage because the old car might penetrate the habitat (unless the car has reinforced beams)

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm dead serious when I say nothing happened to our truck.

19. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    I thought that was a sexist joke until I started driving. I have nothing against women, but when some other driver does something stupid on the road (other than overspeeding), it's a woman nine times outa ten. They have no common sense at all when behind a steering wheel.

Dude, get yourself a ten-year-old (or more) French car; you can't oversteer with 'em. Get one without power steering if you really want a challenge. ;)

Yeah, gotta hate it when people don't take responsibility for their mistakes. I rear-ended some guy on the highway about three months ago because I was paying attention to some other dude on the left lane — he had his blinker on. I just took it up the ass. Was my fault, period.