PNY 8600 GTS loses video

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by starfailure, Nov 12, 2008.

1. starfailure

starfailure New Member

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 8600 GTS
    Hi All,
    I tried posting this on the NVIDIA forums, but didn't get much of a response.

I just bought an HP m8407c (it was cheap), then bought a couple small upgrades.
    First off, the system is an Intel Quad Q6600 w/ Vista 64.
    It came w/ a single Asus GeForce 8500 GT (it's not SLI) and I got a PNY 8600 GTS 256mb to put in instead.. not a big deal.
    At the same time, I upgraded the PSU to a 500w OCZ StealthXStream (two 12v rails at 18a per), and put in a couple new nVidia DIMMs that came w/ the 8600GTS (i figured they'd be better than the memory in the PC.)
    Booted up and everything's fine... Installed the drivers for the 8600, ran some windows update junk, etc.

Then, it started happening -- seemingly at random -- that video would go black, the fan kicks up (loud) and the monitor loses signal. I have to power off. It will ALWAYS occur when:
    - I try the Windows system rating thing -- and I assume when it's probing the video
    - When I preview a screen saver (the one w/ bubbles or something). I believe it uses Direct3D
    However, it also happens sometimes when I go into config screens (no pattern) and then I tried Ubuntu64 and got the same thing 2-3 times in there.
    I've tried about three different NVIDIA drivers in Vista with no improvement.

Note, I haven't done any gaming on here. Every time I've checked the temp, it's been between 48-52 degrees C.

So.. now what? Should I just try to return/exchange it? Or is it likely some sort of incompatibility w/ other hardware? I did NOT have anything like this happen w/ the 8500 GT.

2. MrCompillitrate

MrCompillitrate Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    i'd try an RMA. it sounds like its the card, if it keeps messing up even with different os'.

just a suggestion.

3. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Did you uninstall the drivers for the 8500GT before installing the 8600GT? If not uninstall all drivers (may need to use a program like driverclean just in case). With that in mind try downloading the latest distribution of Direct X 9 and 10.

Also make sure that's it's in the slot properly just in case it became loose or something during installation.

You should also check the BIOS and load default startups of if need be, flash the BIOS to the latest version for your motherboard. (Can be done via floppy or USB before bootup unless your Dell has the option for it in the BIOS itself or during POST).

If the same problem occurs then you sohuld look into either a retail credit or RMA.

Good luck.

4. starfailure

starfailure New Member

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 8600 GTS
    I've pretty much exhausted all options, including a lot of your suggestions, Drunken. So, I'm just going to get an RMA from newegg.

5. MrCompillitrate

MrCompillitrate Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080ti/960m
    good luck. i hate waiting for new stuff.

6. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    No worries, you should be set once it's sorted out ;).