EA: 99.8 percent of gamers don't care about DRM

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 20, 2008.

1. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i'd consider a rootkit any key that hides itself and/or makes low level calls. installs or interferes with other software/hardware ninja style. lets not forget that alot of hackers get hired by large companies.

good enough for me to call it a rootkit. frankly i dont care as long as it doesnt interfere with my gaming or slow my OS or cause harm to hardware firmwares. havnt had any DRM issues with any games i've bought in last couple of years, not since starforce anyway.

2. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    My biggest problem with rootkit-like DRM, as I've implied before, is not what the software itself does to your machine, but what a malicious coder can do by exploiting the rootkit DRM's features. That alone should be enough to cause some serious outcry over their use.

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Well dang, you got all worked up over an issue that was

A: not the fault of Steam

B: resolved.

:bang:

You may cease your banging now.

4. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    You're an idiot... Support the PC gaming industry not sink it dumb ass!

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Yes but he does point out a very important downside of steam:

"If somethings goes wrong, every single game you have on your account is lost"

For this simple reason I only buy games on steam if they were made from valve and thus cannot be used otherwise (cs:s, hl2, ...).

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You people complain to much. The argument that you don't own the software is retarded. I don't own the design of a Ferrari, should I go steal one now? I don't own the words on a book, should I go steal some books?

People talk about DRM being intrusive, how is it that intrusive? I install the game and I never see it again. It doesn't effect my performance at all. People talk about how it destroys Windows installations and whatnot... I know someone's install who got corrupted by firefox, is firefox bad, intrusive, and should be outlawed?

Fireknight says DRM is malware, you couldn't be any more incorrect. Malware is installed without the users consent. I'm pretty sure every game I've installed that uses DRM mentions it, whether there's a whole screen, or a part in the EULA, you're agreeing to it.

Like what? Bad bank payment? Contact Valve it's restored by the end of the week. Stolen account information? Contact Valve it's restored by the end of the day. I have yet to hear someone who has "lost" their games due to "something going wrong". I've heard people who've breached the TOS, by cheating and getting their account banned. What's wrong with that? You agreed to something, you should abide by it.

7. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    In the EULA I cannot read what DRM method is used in the game. Most of the time I can't even find who made the DRM "protection scheme". That would give me an indication. Maybe that has changed in recent years, but I haven't seen it yet.

The EULA itself is the problem. I cannot read it without opening the package and start to install the software. If I don't agree with that EULA then I cannot return the game, because most (if not all, online) shops don't want to take opened software back. If it is online I need to send it back and pay for shipping. If I downloaded the game I don't get my money back if I don't agree with the the EULA. It is intended to ensure that I have no rights at all. Thanks for the money and goodbye. In short: The EULA is a PITA for us gamers.

8. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i'll be totally honest with you, i own plenty of games featuring the TAGES drm and i've never had a single problem, dvd drive works fine, pc is stable, games run nice and fast, games featuring Tages "sherlock holmes nemesis", "dracula origin" (posted plenty of shots in the screenshots thread) and more....

back in the day Starforce was the king of problems for me, BSODs were something i had to live with for a few weeks before learning about starforce.

the FarCry2 DRM has not given me a single problem so far, the only issue i had was sound related BSODs solved by updating the drivers to the new ones, haven't had a single one since.

the limited installations may be a huge annoyance, but the DRM per se and so far for me has been completely harmless. ;)

edit: about the thread........EA states customers don't care about DRM, i certainly don't unless it is too restricting or problematic, for FC2 the restriction was eased which is fine, problems i had none. so far so good and no i don't care about DRM.

on the upside and even though i've never liked EA, to my surprise they released an excellent game which is DEAD SPACE which redeems them somehow, so i'll just close an eye this time. :D

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  9. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Well, Year... Let me be totally honest with you too. I really scratch my head when I read your reply. I've never seen someone that happy with DRM even though he admits he's not. I refer to your BSODs and the huge annoyance with limited installations.

/me shrugs.

StarForce isn't that widely used anymore, because people complained about it. That's why you don't have much problems with it anymore. Sony stopped producing audio CDs with rootkits because people complained.

Why are you defending DRM no matter what?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  10. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    You could at least specify what uninformed rhetoric.

11. Nihilkrist

Nihilkrist Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D GTX260
    There was quite some suspicion of the BioShock version of secuROM fostering a rootkit because of some partially hidden registry entries.

Since then secuROM have created their own service which runs on the application layer "to enable users without Windows administrator rights the ability to access all SecuROM features."

Makes you wonder what they did before version 7 eh? Or what those features are :/

But either way, they don't include an uninstaller, and they don't uninstall it when you uninstall the game. And that gets at me. Plus the software is hidden from your average user.

12. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    that's because the BSOD were driver related not DRM related (did you read properly?), the limited installations are not too bothersome, 3 installs, when you install and uninstall you gain your installation back (compared to Spore where you don't), sure no limitation would be ideal but if that's how it is then so be it, if it would not give me back 1 installation after uninstalling the game forcing me to call someone then i would rant and get pissed and hate the EA DRM for sure and in the end would never buy any of their titles featuring this crap, but since it gives it back i'm ok with it because i don't need to install the game on multiple pcs, just one so no big deal.

it is used at least in games, Fallout 3 russian being the latest, sure since my games are not coming from Russia i won't have Starforce, i would never buy or even download a single starforced game.

Because Safedisc, Tages and Securom are not giving me a single problem, only DRM that used to was Starforce and all i did was to avoid titles featuring this abomination, the day any of the other DRM start affecting my computer performance, stability and life i'll be the first to come here and bash the DRM to death. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  13. Lichelord

Lichelord Guest

GPU:
    X850 Pro agp/8800gs pci-e
    :cheers::mhp: