GTX 260 Really Really Hot (past 100C)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TomRob, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Templ

Templ Guest

If your card hits 100C in 5 min with the fan at 100%, it is faulty. Even with a bad airflow (and, quite frankly, yours is not really THAT bad), there is no way a good working card would hit 100C that fast. I suggest that you stop wasting your time trying to get this card to work and RMA it right away! It might be possible that re-applying the thermal paste would solve the problem, but there's no guarantee. Just RMA the bitch and be done with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  2. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Sounds like the paste is settling but the airflow is not ideal so it still heats up, keep trying different things with case fans etc. In an ideal situation the temps for components should be the same with the case open or closed.

3. TomRob

TomRob Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    I think I might of found the problem, one of them was the MCP fan was blowing hot air onto the card. To solve that I moved the card down into the GPU2 slot, and it got cooler, but still got to 100C, just in much longer time. I then started to feel around the card, and theirs a lot of hot air coming out of the side around the SLI bridges, so I'm wondering could that be a problem, as air isn't really going around the side of the card, and that might be why it's cooler when the side is off.

4. ZeW0 ToleraNce

ZeW0 ToleraNce Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5770
    I've never heard of the GTX 200 series overheating like this before this. Is this a frequent occurrence, or just something wrong with a single batch?

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I would move the case fan pins to different power headers such as fans pulling into to say the casefan 1/2 slots etc and the out fans to something different like the aux fan headers ( or whatever its called on your board) and then alter fan speeeds from the bios so that for e.g you have the fans pulling air in running at say 80% and those pulling out running at 60% and experiment to find out which config works the best.

This should also help to isolate whether it's caused by lack of air in or not enough being pushed out.

6. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Try to neat up your cable's m8 that will increase the airflow. The Coolermaster Wavemaster is in a league of his own BUT it cools like crap. I had that one for like 3 years till i got a Quad and a 8800GTS.

My 8800 and Quad would hit temps up to 90c and 76c on load. Tried better fans, different settings etc... nothing helped. Eventually i replaced the case and got the Antec 900, no problems anymore.
    Not saying you should replace your case but it sounds familiar.

P.S. The Nvidia side-panel on the Wavemaster is oww so pretty :(, i mis my coolermaster :p

7. TomRob

TomRob Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260
    I've been meaning to change my case. I know it has bad cooling, but I don't have the money, maybe next month ;)

But for now I'm running it with the side off. doesn't go over 63C on 100% fan, I might try and make some sort of grill to go over the side, as a temporary solution, any tips? maybe cut the side panel a bit and add some mesh, dunno really.

8. ZeW0 ToleraNce

ZeW0 ToleraNce Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5770
    if you're getting a new case (sooner or later), you might as well just run it with the side off. Will most likely save you time from cutting and slicing acrylic or your fingers ;)

9. teddyboy

teddyboy Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 260
    I have the same problem now, it use to be okay (42 idle 84 loaded) ~~

Now the same thing is happening to me. =(

i am thinking of step up program with evga and see if i can get a new card....

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  10. mycosys

mycosys New Member

GPU:
    9600GT SLI
    [​IMG]
    some serious coolin on the cheap ;)
    (both sides of box off, blanking plate under 9600 removed, fit for Australian summers :B)

11. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    lol... nice monitor, nice speakers, nice graphics card (if it's the nvidia 9600), yet in the end, ancient computer case? :p

12. Keith Wing

Keith Wing Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 470
    Even with my chipset cooler blowing on the back of my GTX260 OC which is running at OC2 speeds after several hours of Crysis my GPU has never gotten hotter than 65C.

Keith

13. waxking1

waxking1 New Member

You need to either RMA the card or take the card apart and apply new thermal paste. There is a thread on the EVGA forums which kinda explains how to do this. I've done it and its not too hard.
    Even when I clock the core at 768 my temps don't go over 60.

14. formula72

formula72 Guest

GPU:
    (SLI )eVGA GTX980 Ti
    Well, In my case, my Evga 260 blasted past whats considered "thermal limits" and lived to tell about it. 151*C!!!!

Story is, I was playing crysis for about 2hrs and it stuttered to the point of nearly calling it quits ( freezing/dropping frames) in heavy action. Didn't think anything of it, thought it was the hard drive paging files. I happen to have hardware monitor running in the background. So, i wrapped it up for the night, and low and behold, i nearly lost it when i saw the max temperature archived. Room was cool, about 75*F. Side of case was off, so it wasn't an airflow issue. CPU never peaked past 56*C. It worked fine the next day.

[​IMG]

I have since returned the card. Only had it 4 days. It was an eVGA GTX260 216 superclocked @ 626mhz. I did not overclock it, and fan speed was @ 75% during game play session through riva

15. R@ven

R@ven Master Guru

GPU:
    evga GTX260 55nm SC
    I have the exact problem with my brand new evga gtx280. Hit 105C in 5min with a open case and fans 100%. I replaced the thermalpaste and now the don't want to rma the card because I change the thermalpaste.

16. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i have no fans running at the mo except cpu,psu and my 260 doesnt go above 72c with side of case off maxed out.

if i was seeing temps some of you have reported i would of rma'd my card straight away.

plus i leave the fan on auto and it only spins up to 49%.

17. Saabjock

Saabjock Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX1070XLR8
    If it's a new card as you indicated, it might not be a bad idea to RMA it ASAP...just because of the fact that it went past 100 degrees to the point of artifacting. There is probably some damage already, which might show up later outside your warranty period...assuming it's not lifetime. Do a bit of cable management and as 'Gun' and others suggested, then make the top fan exhaust.

18. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Exactly what gunman said, fan 3 should be blowing out. Blowing inward is going to to disrupt you air-flow. I idle at 40-46C and under load 60c-75C, fan @ 80%. You may want to work on your wiring a little as well. If that doesn't help, RMA time.

19. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    Return it!

20. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    evga does not care if it was overclocked or if it has had the heatsink off and watercooled. as long as it was registered on their site within 30 days you have a lifetime warranty. they do not like physical damage. the card is faulty if it is getting those temps. although it seemed to be better when you took the side off the case. evga is a great company all my cards are from them.