180.42 has multi-monitor support for sli

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by linyanti, Oct 21, 2008.

1. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    This is a specific thread about 180.42 and multi-monitors. It is able to support multi-monitor use while sli is working.

Have two 8800 GTS 640 video cards using Vista64. The 180.42 Driver was downloaded from the nvidia uk site and I installed it right on top of the old drivers. The control panel is different and the options for PhysX and sli are in the same part of the control panel. Previously, I remember that the PhysX was in Programs under the Start Button section.

Both second monitor and also "cloned display" are possible. Like before, Cloned Display has to be at the same resolution on both monitors. That is, if the second monitor is a plasma or lcd HDTV then the resolution will probably default to 1080 or 720. There is also a term "SLI focus display". It seems to mean the "primary display" but it may mean the second monitor. The term does not seem important. I cannot remember if this term was used previously.

Regardless, video games work great in sli with both monitors running. I have a 24 inch 1920 by 1200 HP monitor and a Panansonic 720p 42 inch plasma as the second display.

As mentioned in the dedicated 180.42 thread the fan section is grayed out and does not work in EVGA Precision Tune. The clock speeds can be adjusted in Precision Tune.

So for those of you with sli who have waited for multi-monitor support, here it is!

2. Norvegia

Norvegia Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb
    I need help because it isn't working for me :frown:

I have two 8800GTS in SLi and when I enable the SLi option in the control panel my secondary monitor losses the signal as always. My secondary display is a 37" plasma.

What I'm doing wrong? It should work with a pair of G92 cards, right?

Please, help!! I've waited for too long to get multi-monitor SLi!!

Thanx!

EDIT

Btw, I'm using Windows XP 32bit with the SP2 installed.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  3. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    This driver is just beta and has some failings. There is no fan control with Precision Tune (and I assume Riva Tuner) and there is no GPU temp in the systray from Precision Tune.

I am just guessing but it may be xp (since I can only comment on vista64) or it may be that your second monitor may not be compatible with your set up. What is the connection: hdmi, dvi, vga or svhs? You may want to get your plasma manual out and see what the inputs are that it can handle. Can it handle 720p? It may help to go ahead and set the monitor to the same resolution that your television can handle since it will only work if both the television and the monitor have identical resolution.

However, if you can get the second display working when not in sli then the resolution issue would not seem to be valid.

My plasma is 1080i (only 720p) but the 8800 GTS recognizes the resolution as 1080. My connection to the monitor and to the television is the same: DVI out to HDMI in.

Here is the step by step process. I only include this because it does not seem to look the same as previous drivers in multi-monitor. Went to "Set SLI and PhysX configuration" 1. PhysX is enabled. 2. "Enable sli" is checked. Then went to "set up multiple displays". The computer monitor is checked and greyed out. There is a check box above it that shows the television. I checked this and then there was a new large green rectangle with a "2" in it to the right of a box with a "1" in it. I right clicked the box with the "2" in it and selected "clone (monitor name) and (television name)". Then the green boxes showed a "1a" and a "1b" in them. Then clicked "apply" and it worked.

4. Norvegia

Norvegia Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb
    First of al thanks for replying.

I have connected the plasma screen to the card through the DVI>VGA adapter. It's a Panasonic and its native resolution is 1024x720 though it can handle 1360x768 with no problems. With the previous drivers (174.74) I had it set at 1024x768@60Hz and the monitor at 1280x960@85Hz.

With this drivers (as with 174.74), if I don't enable the SLi option, I can have both displays working together with the Dualview feature, each with its own resolution but as soon as I enable SLi, the multi-monitor settings in the Nvidia control panel dissapear so I have no option to enable both displays at the same time, just one or the other. Does it happen in your case? I also tried to set the same resolution and even the same refresh rates to both displays but no luck.

If I follow your process I can go as far as enabling SLi because when I enable it I don't have the option to set up multiple displays, it dissapears in the control panel.

At least, now I don't have to restart the computer every time I enable SLi...

But multi-monitor SLi still won't work here :(

5. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    What you describe about the multi monitor option disappearing is exactly what I would see before driver 180.42. I have never really used dual monitor much so I do not have more than a cursory knowledge of the topic. To check it out I just activated it and it looks like the resolution of the television is 1980 by 1080 and the monitor is 1980 by 1200. Then I was able to slide a windowed page over to the television from the monitor.

So it looks like dual view works okay in my set up at different resolutions.

Maybe, it is support for a specific resolution that is lacking. Do you have another monitor around that you could use instead of the television just to check it out?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  6. Baldassano

Baldassano Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    Keep in mind Dual monitor SLI only works off the First aka Main Card.. you cant have it plugged into the secondary supposedly.. Tho mine does show all 4 "quadheads" available in windows, only 2 in the nvidia control panel.

7. Norvegia

Norvegia Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb
    I have both the monitor and the plasma screen plugged into the first card. As I said, no-SLI Dualview works just fine like it did with previous drivers, but as soon as I enable SLI the option in the control panel to set up multiple displays disappears.

linyanti, could you tell me how is your plasma screen detected under the Nvidia control panel, please? I ask because mine just says "Analog screen". I don't think that's the problem because I can use it while in SLI as the focus display but who knows...

I know it's a beta release but it just pisses me off...

8. Baldassano

Baldassano Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    Do a reinstall w/ driver cleaner.. Mine works flawlessly, tho initially i had a weird issue where it was detecting my monitors in reverse (my left monitor is monitor 1, it was being detected as monitor 2, i had to flip them in display properties to go right to left.. then it corrected itself?)..

Other then that it has also solved the issue i was having with one of the monitors coming up "not clear", like fuzzy (not the monitor), that i could have to change resolution then change it back and it would be crystal clear.

I am LOVING these drivers..

9. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Baldassano, I had the same problem with the monitor selection but it worked like you said.

Norvegia, I wonder if it is the hook up of your plasma. Your aspect ratio is not widescreen. Maybe it is not detecting it for some reason. Maybe going DVI to VGA loses something.

My plasma was always detected as "Panasonic TH42PX25" which is the model. It is a widescreen plasma that was made in 2004. Maybe "analog display" is not supported. That is completely a guess.

What is the model of your plasma?

Final version of the driver is supposed to be out Nov 17, 2008.

10. Lahomer

Lahomer Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 680/1463/1215
    Not working for me the set up multi displays disapears every time .... already tryed driver cleaner and reinstall no succes ...

11. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
  12. Norvegia

Norvegia Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 460 1Gb
    Thanks linyanti. I guess I'll wait then until the next release and see if it works. I was worrying because everyone seemed to have it working but seeing that Lahomer is also having the same symptoms I don't feel like the problem is on my side now.

Thanks again guys ;)