k9n2 sli platinum just caught on FIRE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Omnicide85, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Omnicide85

Omnicide85 New Member

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 260
    I have the worst lucky.

I was on my newly built computer running fine for a few days and started messing with the dual core center settings. Bad move!

My computer turned off... I turned it back on and I smell smoke... Look inside... its on friggin' FIRE!!!!!

I freak out and turn it off.
    The fire happened at the top of the mobo where the copper tube is:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...tinum&class=mb

Now the computer won't start. All the pretty lights in there work but computer wont boot.

My question is.... is the processor damaged? I figure the mobo is gone but my processor is ok right? What all would i have to do to switch the parts to a new mobo? Anyway to avoid reinstalling everything if I get the same model (I hate MSI btw.... :bang:)?

2. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    This is the second person on this forum in a couple weeks to have one of these things catch on fire...You should contact MSI about this, because this could become an issue where they need to recall these boards.

As to your processor, it really depends on how it died. it's entirely possible that it's fine, but it's also very possible it isn't. The only way to know is to put it in another board and see what happens.

Your link is dead by the way.

And you're insane for trying to turn on the computer again, after you put it out. See the problem with what I just said?

3. dzxray

dzxray New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 9800 GTX+
    Yikes!! I just got this board a week ago. Now I hear something like this? I'll be watching my system very carefully. I do have a question to ask..

Did you connect a power supply connector to your motherboard 4-pin molex connector? I had to do that with a Geforce 9800 GTX+ card in order for the PC to boot up.

4. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I'm sorry for you guy's luck! Damn!

All I have to add is this is yet one more reason to never purchase an MSI board. Apparently, the voltage regulators are shoddy and made from cheaper Chinese materials than they should have been...this is the second within a couple weeks of the same exact problem with the same exact board.

Even before this, I wouldn't have purchased an MSI board if it came with controlling interest and stock in the company - you couldn't have given me the whole damn company for free just to use their boards (bad experiences that I don't need to get into here) - but this is really just the icing on the cake.

If I were either of you that have had this issue, I'd be for talking to a lawyer about a class-action suit - check into how many MSI boards have been RMA'ed for the same exact problem...you two could be sitting on a bunch of money!

Good luck!

Psychlone

5. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    A quick google didn't show much, but it's definitely worth looking deeper into.

6. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
  7. goitalone

goitalone Member

GPU:
    VisionTek Radeon HD4870
    Get an Asus board man, MSI SUCKS!

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This is somewhat a copy from another post I made...but still applies very well here

Sorry for your luck, but appreciate you posting this info. You could very well be saving someone's life by posting it like you did! Could you imagine that board going up in flames and burning someone's house down while they're sleeping?

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I don't suppose you got a photo? That would make a great screenshot.... hehe