sli---1gpu for rendering other gpu for physx and shared memory

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by g000fy, Sep 25, 2008.

1. g000fy

g000fy Banned

GPU:
    2* 8800GTS 512MB (G92)
    i guess im just having tons of ideas

maybe someone could be kind enough why or how this could be possible.

sli = disabled

1st gpu with 512mb (in this ex:) and it is ordered to do all the rendering
    2nd gpu to be used as physx and also use its memory for storage like we do with our normal ram.

it might not be as fast as our ram on the motherboard but it would sure beat the heck out of a hard drive.

could someone be kind enough to tell me if this is possible (which i think the driver could do it and i think the hardware is already compatiblle) becuase the pci-e slots are dedicated lanes going to the actual pci-e part of the northbridge chip

what are your thoughts

2. mattymaxima

mattymaxima Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 9800 GTX+ SLI
    Dumb...I think you burned too many bridges dude.

3. g000fy

g000fy Banned

GPU:
    2* 8800GTS 512MB (G92)
    i care what you think

on lower end cpu systems this would help alot out where you would have 1gig of video memory shared on ram instead of 512 in ram and the other ....well there is no other....it either gets cached in system ram or on hard drive.

imagine the benchmarks of crysis on enthusiast with a 1 gig 8800gts
    i bet the same settings on 2 8800gts 512 are lower (with this low end cpu example)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  4. diddly

diddly Guest

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8
    Shared RAM, that's sounds extremely doubtful. Isn't it cheaper to buy a single GPU card with more RAM in the first place?

As for the 2nd GPU for physics, isn't Hybrid SLI meant to do this sort of thing?

5. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI

Hybrid SLI is where the dedicated GPU be is paired with an onboard GPU and during graphically intensive stuff things the dedicated card is used and when the computer is at desktop doing less intense graphical stuff the IGP is powered on and used, while the dedicated card is powered off and being unused. only the nforce 7 series, Geforce 9800's, Geforce GTX 260, Geforce GTX 280, and 8100, 8200 and 8300 IGP's support HybridPower.