4870 X2 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Did you happen to save your results? I tried to check performance increase also, but vantage seems to have a quite large range in results for me, both on gpu and cpu scores it would change between +-300 points so I didn't think it was quite accurate. Could you check the results and see if it was the same for you? Furmark showed the increase a lot better though, and more accurate also...

Also, the 830mhz mark is for people on air cooling ;) Above that there was a chance of artifacting. I didn't run the fans at 100% though, only at 50% I think, running them at 100% would probably raise the artifacting limit a bit on air cooling too, I should test it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  2. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    My Vantage results don't fluctuate more than +/- 50 points every time. I've ran it atleast 50 times over the last couple of days, so I have a pretty good idea there. I saw an increase of around 70 points or so for every 10th MHz I increased from 800 and up. I'm scoring around 15k now, which I've never achieved before. I'm guessing your fluctuations have something to do with Crossfire...

Anyways. I have an issue with the overclock on the 2nd GPU not sticking. When I exit a 3D app, the 2nd GPU drops down to 2D levels, but will not go up to overclocked 3D levels the next time I launch something -- only to stock 750. I'm trying to install the 8.52.2's again to check if its the same there.

3. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Limit? What limit? Drop some DICE on that baby and crack 900. Throw on LN2 and hit 1ghz. :p

4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Oh yes, certainly. I was just responding to those who claimed the limit would be around 830, even on water. In either case, overclocking this thing for day-to-day use doesn't really make a whole lot of sense I guess, since you're losing PowerPlay...

5. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Anybody has an idea what's going on here:

[​IMG]

Those are the temps taken from GPU-Z of the master gpu's from both my X2 cards. So the left screenie is the master gpu of my first card and the right screenie is the master gpu of the second card. As you can see on the first highlighted temp the left one is quite a bit higher than the right one, and on the second highlighted temp the left one is quite a bit lower than the right one. This doesn't seem logical in any way...
    Both cards are running on the same fan speed, get the same fresh air from 2x120mm fans and are far enough apart so they are not heating each other.
    My guess is something is not touching correctly underneath the stock coolers? Just wondering what you guys think could be going on. If one card was hotter in all aspects I could understand but this is just not right lol.

Also just noticed, the GPU temp all the way on the top of the screenshot that is not highlighted... a 6° difference? wtf lol
    Or is that normal if my monitor is connected to that card... Hmm, anyway the highlighted temps are still very weird.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2008
  6. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Blah, same with 8.52.2. Anyone else have any experience with RivaTuner and this card?

7. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I don't have that problem, just did an OC in riva and fired up a game, when exiting all clocks remained at their overclocked frequencies, on all the cores. I tried it couple times but no drop back to 2D clocks here. (8.54-080805n)

8. nutyo

nutyo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD5870
    Definitely true that overclocking these cards for day to day use is pretty useless. The performance gains are minimal and it isn't like these things can't keep up as it is.

9. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thanks, I'll try the 54's.

10. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Uh, one chip is closer to cool air, the 2nd chip gets hair air from the 1st. That will always increase temps.

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ah damnit, same crap. I wish there was an easy way of disabling this PowerPlay crap, it's brining nothing but trouble! I don't understand how it can work for Peentje and not for me, even if we're using the same drivers :rolleyes:

Edit2: If I overclock the core to the maximum allowed by CCC (800), GPU #2 will default to that clock during 3D no matter what I set in RivaTuner after 3D is launched once. Silly!

12. rodz37

rodz37 Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2
    RMA’ing my Sapphire 4870x2

Hey Guys

I am thinking about RMA’ing my Sapphire 4870x2 :bang: had so many crashes ended up having to rebuild my raid lost a lot of data and really F^(ked me off.

Is there a vendor out there that makes a superior card with i.e less crashing and good warranty, 3+ years say.

13. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    My first core is also stuck on 750MHz all the time (unless overclocked, in which case they both work at the clocked speeds). Memory for both cores works properly, as does Core #2, but that first core is always at 750MHz.

Also, it is usually a minimum of 4c hotter, raising to up to 10c at times (but I was having some driver issues at the time I measured 10c difference).

I also attributed it to an error in GPU-Z.

14. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I doubt it's a reading error -- RivaTuner reads the same numbers. I gave up on overclocking with RivaTuner as it just won't work correctly for GPU #2. So now I'm trying to overclock with modifying profiles instead. Is it possible to run over 800MHz with this? It works fine for anything under 800, but over is a no-go.

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I believe the XML hack lets you assign the clock speed to both over 800.

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    What problems are you having?

17. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    rodz37 you have Asus and Gigabyte with 3years warranty, but i doubt the crashes are diferent :p

18. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    No way, as I said there are 2 big fans blowing on it (one in front and one on the side) and the cards are pretty far apart from each other. Plus, if I turn those fans at full speed the air between the 2 cards is moving very fast so no way there can be an increase of 6 degrees just because there would be an ambient temp rise of the air between the cards. Actually to prove it I've switched the cards to test and now the weird temps are the other way around so it's definately something with the cards themself.

Even then, take another close look at the 2 temps I highlighted, how can the first one be higher on the left pic and the second temp be higher on the right one? Just doesn't make sense...

EDIT: I think you understood the screenshot as beeing the 2 GPU's on 1 card, but it's the master GPU of 2 seperate cards, I'm running a crossfire setup...

19. Leviathan-

Leviathan- Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780GTX SC ACX
    Even if its crossfire what stukov said could be correct, the card on top will have to handle the heat that comes from the lower one and its own. Try increasing the top gfx fan 5% more than the 2nd one see if the temps match eachother now.

20. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    noticed some artifacting going on

running warhammer i noticed some strange glitching..its mostly on chars faces and maybe it apaptive aa setting. although gamespot says use this..

i stopped using ai suite and now have the 9450 at 3.4ghz..

all i did was go into bios and change the speed to 450 and left rest on auto...i used however cpuz and it shows its changed to x6 multiplier rather than 8 and the base speed is 2500mhz but goes up to 3.4. (markvantage says 3.4 internal clock speed so i guess i did it?)

anyways ran cyris and on low settings but aa and 1920x1200 ran very smooth with 65 fps. again i did see some artifacts so turned up fan to 40 and havent seen any since. overheating?