4870 X2 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Get rid of them. They've only been trouble for me. The only drivers that have worked somewhat well are the old 8.52.2 betas. If you're able to install them, that is. I've been trying for half an hour with no success so far. How bloody hard can it be to make a working driver for this thing? I mean, it's been out for over a month already!

2. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    What's the error you get after installing them, is it the typical error where it says something like there are no correct adapters or hardware or something detected? Or ist Catalyst just not showing up. I've had the first error on some drivers and found a workaround for that.

3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Card shows up with an exclamation mark in device manager, ie, drivers don't load properly.

4. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Have you installed KB948473 already?
    "A WHQL test does not finish successfully on a Windows Vista-based computer that has multiple display adapters in an LDA configuration" --> there can't be a successful WHQL test with a beta driver.
    I've had driver problems when installing and after installing that update and a quick reboot all my problems were gone for some reason.
    Or maybe I did another install after that and it was solved, can't remember exactly... Just google for the KB and see if it applies, maybe it'll help, it won't hurt your system so...

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Way ahead of you John. Great minds think alike, eh? :p

Back to the good old 8.52.2s that I was on, and fan is set to 45% and I am idling at 41c and 39 according to GPU-Z. Sounds far more like it to me -_-

Far better than 60% and 51c, that's for sure.

I have to echo what you said though. It has been a month and there are still some major issues to resolve here. How hard can it possibly be?

6. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Hard enough apparently. They should double the size of the team working on the drivers, to speed up the progress. They should've figurered that out by now, it's been their greatest weakness all along.

7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Finally! Managed to install them. Rebooted a few times... and suddenly it just worked. Temps dropped even further with these:

[​IMG]

21c room temp.

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    :(

What loop(s) you running then, with what fans? Those are some awesome temps.

I want!

9. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Single loop, PA120.3 with 3x Yate Loon SM's at around 8 volts. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Very nice! Have you modded the case for the PA, or is there somewhere to put it in the case that I am unaware of?

Or is it mounted externally?

Only leaves the question of what you plan on doing with the GTZ now then?

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Sounds like something I want too (water cooling), but I also need to buy a new bed, want a FNP45 or a M4A3.

12. ribbell

ribbell Active Member

GPU:
    4870X2
    Guys, the problem of high temperatures in idle with some sets of drivers depends on a bug for which the clocks and/or voltage of the master GPU are not set correctly in 2d. This bug can be solved easily by activating an overdrive CCC profile. Morever with an overdrive profile you can underclock the memory to further reduce the idle power.
    Here's my overdrive profile:

[​IMG]

The parts modified are in green (i have my memory clocks in 2d set at 300 Mhz).
    Here's the results:

[​IMG]

Drivers installed are the 8.9 official. My room temp is 25 ° C. The fan in this condition is set at 34 % (i modified the fan controller parameters with rivatuner 2.11).

13. nelsonica2007

nelsonica2007 Guest

GPU:
    2x1080ti
    i got 7108 on Vantage Xtreme settings is it good?
    gpu : 6994
    cpu 10286

and on high 9434

gpu 9306
    cpu 10231

3 Ghz Q6600

Last edited: Sep 20, 2008
  14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't know for Xtreme, I just got the Performance ones remembered.

15. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    well, i have finally found out why the card in vista 64 didnt work properly for me: i have to underclock the gpu clock from one gpu to 707MHZ, the other clocks can remain at stock. then it doesnt give me bsods in 3d.
    crazy eh?

16. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Case is modded, yes. The radiator is placed at the bottom of the case, so I had to cut out a fitting hole for it with a Dremel. Not a huge fan of externally mounted radiators...

The GTZ is mounted in the loop as we speak. Although I think I may have to do a remount as temps over the 4 cores are very uneven.

17. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    If that is the case I think you deserve a RMA replacement.

18. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    ^ tell that to the shop i bought it from... since the card is working in xp with stock clocks, they say the card itself cant be defect.

19. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    I installed a EK waterblock too, temps are good BUT everytime I load a game card makes noise..it is freaking irritating !!!

I dont know what it is, I ll double check everything again...John do you experience something similar?

20. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Squealing? That's the graphics card. It's supposed to be that way... you're just hearing it better because the noisy fan is gone. Mine only squeeks while loading games or while I'm in a menu. While playing it seems to go away.