Upgrade recommendations for completely beginner

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by skalgrim, Sep 18, 2008.

1. skalgrim

skalgrim New Member

GPU:
    GF8600GT
    Hi all, I come seeking advice.

I've had my PC for about 6 months and it came with a GF8600GT. I don't do much in the way of gaming - Warcraft, now Warhammer and a bit of EVE (you can see the thread here) and everything runs just fine, but I know my card is a little out of date, so I'd like to upgrade it.

But I don't really know what to. I don't know if my PSU is big enough to power a huge card, but I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds either anyway.

So I'm wondering what would be a good upgrade and why, and not too expensive?

Oh, and I would like to stay with Nvidia.

Thanks

2. jcpenny

jcpenny New Member

GPU:
    Nvdia 280GTX OCX BFG
    Hmm are you going to go further in gaming than MMO's? if the answer is no then I think I would stay at the 8600gt you should get no FPS issues on the games.

3. skalgrim

skalgrim New Member

GPU:
    GF8600GT
    Its not really an issue of getting the games to run "better". Sure, WAR could run a little better.

Its just a thing I'd like to upgrade, really. A holdover from the 90s when I enjoyed building pcs :)

4. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    What's your psu and what's your budget?

5. skalgrim

skalgrim New Member

GPU:
    GF8600GT
    No idea what my PSU is. Its a standard issue in a big HP desktop. Had a look at the back, cant see a rating. Budget is theroetically limitless but I have no need to go for the latest greatest card. I'm just looking for a "decent" upgrade.

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Well i think a 9600GT would be good

7. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT
    agreed 9600gt should do fine for your needs :)

8. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    I think you would be good with a 9600GT if you wanted an upgrade.. 8600GT is about 25W to 52W power consumption from idle to load. And a 9600GT isnt that much more, its about 25W to 60W from idle to load.

And the 9600GT is around the $120 US range, so its around your price range. If you want anything better it get more expensive and you'll probably need to check your PSU for anything higher.

9. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    What CPU and memory do you have? You may get more performance with some extra memory and higher CPU speeds. Have you tried overclocking your 8600GT yet?

10. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I second that.

11. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    "Sure you don't want to overclock that card hey? A little bit of overclocky? Wind up the speeds a little....on your graphics card...maybe? Maybe OC the CPU? Wind up the FSB? Oh you might as well just get a 9600GT then."

/said in a Stewy voice. ;)

12. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    you could also go for the new 4670

13. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    Or even a 4870 as they are very good value for money and kick the pants off the competition.

I forgot you don't have a powerful PSU. I'd get a 4870 but you'd need to upgrade your PSU. The 8600GT is not a bad card though. Is your 8600GT a 512MB card? Make sure to get a 9600GT 512MB card as they are much better than 256MB version with higher resolutions, AA and high quality shadows.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    8600 GT not a bad card? o_O since when? since the beginning this card has been a very bad card

however, i say go for the 9600 GT, it's a very, very nice card

15. unbreakable

unbreakable Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 512 800/1905/2200
    you can find out your system specs through dxdiag (type it in the run command) and windows' built-in system info to find out your proc and your ram and your motherboard

16. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    8600GT 512MB were very cheap and can play recent games on decent settings even with old processors. They even run GRID on Ultra High settings with 16xCSAA, which I think is rather good for a card that was reasonably cheap. Not a card for hardcore gamers, but still good value for the average user compared to previous generations at that price point.

17. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    well it was a massive disappointment when it came out, nothing like the 7600 GT vs the 6600 or the 9600 GT to the 7600 GT/8600 GT/S, it just doesn't compare..

18. unbreakable

unbreakable Member

GPU:
    ^ agreed. and the 8600GT 512 only has a 1fps advantage over the 256 version (DDR3 both) in the highest resolutions. no use wasting cash on the 512 unless your goal is to have a bigger e-peen hehe

19. unbreakable

unbreakable Member

GPU:

On a sidenote, the 8600GT broke the trend of nvidia's midrange cards.

The 6600GT was faster than the 5950ultra
    the 7600GT was faster than the 6800 ultra (even 6800GT SLI)
    however the 8600GT was not much faster than the 7600GT except in shader-heavy operations, while the 8600GTS was no better than the 7900GS, wherein if you would follow the trend, it should have beaten the 7900GTX

It's a good thing that the 9600GT brought that back by getting a huge performance upgrade although controversially it wasn't enough as it should have beaten the 8800GTX while the 9800GTX should have been the new performance kiing. Thanks to nvidia's ridiculous naming scheme, this wasn't the case

20. AnthraxPants

AnthraxPants Banned

GPU:
    XFX 4890HD 1GB
    8600GT's were low to mid range, 8800GTS 's were mid range. 6600GT and 7600GT were mid range, but Nvidia changed the numbering again to confuse people, again. Just because it has a 6 in the model number doesn't indicate how well it will perform. Nvidia have been playing these number games for years. A 9600GT should not beat a 8800GTX as it is not a high end card, it is a mid range card. It comes back to the Nvidia number games again, the product specifications denote performance, models numbers are just names that are often used to confuse unsavy buyers.

That is because it was a new generation of card, almost budget pricing and you get what you pay for. Anything below a mid range product should not be expected to play games at high end settings. It takes time to develope new technology and usually every second generation from Nvidia doesn't have the same improvement in performance as the card before. Then the next generation improves from everything that has been learnt with the previous generation.

It has been like this for years and that is why it pays to do some research before you buy. I was in a hard spot with the 320MB 8800GTS, I knew something better would be released but I needed new gear and that is what I could afford. If you expect too much you will always be let down so making sure you understand the capabilities of a product before purchase are essential. There a plethora of reviews out there and benchmarks to show what the product can do. You get way more value for money with gear these days. For the same kind of performance a few years back you would be looking at spending a lot more money.