Microsoft fires Xbox 360 whistleblower

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Watcher, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/207107/microsoft-fires-xbox-360-whistleblower/

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/207041/report-xbox-360-defects-caused-by-pre-launch-rush/

Watcher

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Ljbh.. the guy is a contract video game tester who signed an NDA.

1. His position is absolutely nothing, he knows no more about the RROD then anyone who owns an xbox, he isn't qualified for anything.

2. He broke an agreement he willingly signed. Microsoft is right for firing him.

3. Zerkk

Zerkk Member

GPU:
    XFX 6850 1GB 950/1150
    hahaha, bout time. I understand that M$ has the right to fire him but their pissed because someone from their company actually was telling the truth to the public how they wanted to be so leet in the console world and it ended up kicking their ass in the end. Yea they are still making tons of money off the 360 but they look like asses and have many upset customers. The whole "YOU CANT BE MAD THEY FIX IT" thing is getting real old. If they can fix it i expect it to be fixed the first time not the 3rd...4th...5th time. A little out of line if you ask me and more power to Robert.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They are "leet" in the console world, they are ahead of Sony by 5M units - even with the defects -which is quite a feat considering Sony's experience in the console business. Also this guy worked for Microsoft, but he isn't a Microsoft employee. It would be no different then a janitor who works in the Microsoft lunch room came out and said "360 failure rate 33% blah blah".

5. Kow

Kow Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 5850
    The guy sounds like he may be interesting if he was not stupid. He signed the contract forbidding him to open his mouth in this way and did it anyways. I don't know the contract exactly but I'm sure it has "...or legal action may..." somewhere in it.

6. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Deserved it. Highest failure rate? Maybe. It's debatable. Also has the longest warranty.

Guy deserved it. Companies don't like people shouting their secrets, wonder why that is.

Microsoft doesn't have to tell you the failure rate of the Xbox 360, and this guy certainly has no right to.

But personally, I call BS on the 33% failure rate. I'd like to know the time frame that's based on.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  7. Zerkk

Zerkk Member

GPU:
    XFX 6850 1GB 950/1150
    Well he could be nothing to the company and as for the 33% failure rate imo that could be close to accurate. Just about everyone i know that has purchased a 360 has had to send it in for repair and to apply that to the big scale of the millions that M$ has sold, I'd say that its a pretty damn close number. They do have every right to fire him, idk why he would want to lose his job over it speaking out, it's not like its going to change anything.

8. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    I hope he values feelings of nobility more than all the assets he's going to have to sell/ mortgage to pay for his legal fees. (Who knows, though, maybe some lawyer would take it on for a discount considering the possible publicity.)

I'm also thinkin' his chances of working in IT again are pretty slim. But - I wonder, and I'm thinking the many IT guys here would know - what are the employment prospects in IT for someone who's breached a NDA?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  9. Woodmasterfox

Woodmasterfox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    I can't stress how dead serious NDAs are. If you breach an NDA, the company has every right to fire you and they WILL WIN in court for any damages that they want to get. This guy is a total idiot. Working in the game industry before, I can tell you that if you breach an NDA you are basically about to get boned hard from just about every lawyer in that corporation's arsenal, and, you will probably never work in the gaming industry ever again.

Not to mention, like it has already been said before in this thread, the guy is the equivalent of a janitor in the halls of Sony's PS3 development building. He is no more qualified to tell you about the red rings than I am, which makes him about the least qualified person in the world (next to me of course).

10. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    "If they want to come after me, bring it on."

Last famous words...

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The 33% failure rate sounds like a giant lie. Everyone I know who's had a 360 for more than 1.5 years had it crap out on them. I was actually going to buy a 360 until I saw them blowing up left and right. From what I've seen the failure rate is more realistically over 70% for consoles over a year old. I bought the giant colossus of a grill known as a PS3, which ends up costing me more this way, but I don't regret it. The only thing about it which fills me with rage is that I can't just hook up the HDMI cable to my computer since it has HDCP which the 360 doesn't.

12. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    as if microsoft will sue, it will only bring more bad publicity to the 360 fail rate.

13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Spot on, punch failure rate of 360 in to google and just about every result has a mention of somewhere in the region of 30%. By any standard that is amazingly high. Everyone seems to know someone that has had a 360 fail and this isn't like the PStwo and it's dodgy laser this seems to be an issue that Microsoft is either unwilling or simply does not know how to resolve. Take a look at the MS quote at the bottom of this article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2007/may/31/whatsthetrue

14. Woodmasterfox

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    I have owned 5 Xbox 360s...none of them have red ringed on me. My neighbors all own 360s...none of them have flashed the red rings. It happens, but it is NOT as likely as people like to make it seem. Don't be an idiot and put your 360 in some media cabinet where the fans can't bring in any fresh air, the thing gets hot, everybody knows that, adjust accordingly.

15. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    That depends how you count a broken products really. If Microsoft only count those consoles that were beyond repair, that would probably make their own number of broken consoles make more sense.

Since the console which the consumer sent back to Microsoft gets fixed and put into use again. It does not really count as broken anymore. But of course, the rest of the world do not look at it that way.

16. Bani

Bani Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 8800 GTX
    Well look at this way. My mother killed her brand new DVD players some years back. She put magazines on top of it...

There are people that just can not understand what differences a gaming console from a DVD player. If my DVD player is in the cabinet, why not my xbox.

Yet why they did not install a heat guard that shut the console down in time, and preventing it from overheating, puzzles me. A little note in the manual, is not enough to stop people from their own stupidity. Anyway I do not think the high number of failing consoles was due to stupid people. That is a tad insulting..

Edit: sorry about the 2x post.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  17. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    He got what he deserved to be honest with you.

He signs a contract/deal/agreement, and he should be expected to stick to it.

Not only that, but he hardly has a clue about the area he is talking about, so it makes it even more worthless.

18. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)

Just curious why have you owned 5 xbox 360's

19. blue5

blue5 Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800GTX (685/1115)
    that guy lacked professionalism. Glad they fired his ass.

20. Woodmasterfox

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    Because I'm silly and think that I don't want it anymore, so I sell it on Craigslist, only to realize a few months later I want to play *insert new 360 game here*, so I grab another one from a retailer or back off of Craigslist.

Its true, the 360's do fail, and I think that it is largely microsofts fault. I'm just saying its ridiculous to say "ZOMG 70% of XBOX 360's failed" because its just not true.