4870 X2 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    That's superb if it's actually working! Please do test if it works correctly. My rig is in pieces atm, so I can't test myself.

Edit: Lookie lookie:

2. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Cores OC easily and is confirmed by GPU-Z but memory frequencies aren't moving for me, it sticks to 900mhz. Could be driver related as I'm on 8.9 beta. I'll have to read up on the forums to see if I'm the only one.

3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    How far are you able to take the cores? You on stock air? What gains are you seeing? I can't wait to start playing with this!

4. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I've tested enabling both those registry entries as power user but I don't see any cloning going on, still have to set them seperately :/
    Again, this may be because of the beta drivers I don't know, I should read around on the forum for that later on.
    Gonna OC my cpu to 4ghz now and run a benchmark at 750/900 and one on 790/900 and I'll post the results. I'm not gonna touch the memory frequencies as they don't seem to move through rivatuner. Could take half an hour ;)
    And yes I'm on stock air, but I'll put them on 100% for a change, that should keep them cool enough for now.

5. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Go on then; how/where do I input the commands for cloning?

Awesome news for sure!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  6. PlatoonSgtElias

PlatoonSgtElias Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX470 1280Mb
    Got my X2 4870 some days ago and yesterday got my E8600 :p
    Damn i must get a new motherboard if i want to test on LN2.
    I cant belive what FSB my Striker is doing in 3D lol.

• Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3333MHz "Q822A462" - OC 5129MHz
    ATI Radeon™ X2 4870 2Gb GDDR5 870\1000
    • ASUS Striker Extreme nVidia 680i SLI - 512,9FSB - 1.50v
    • 4Gb 2x2Gb OCZ Reaper HPC Edition pc6400 800MHz DDR2 CAS 4-4-4-15 1T
    • 1,28Tb 2x640Gb Western Digital WD6400AAKS, 300MB/s, 16Mb, Sata II
    • Seasonic 700W M12 Modular

Watercooling:
    • D-TEK FuZion v2 CPU Block
    • 2x EK-NB/SB ASUS 1 Chipset Blocks
    • Swiftech MCP355 Pump 18w, 600L/h
    • Swiftech MCR320-QP-K Triple 120mm Radiator, 410x128x34mm
    • XSPC Laing DDC Top with Reservoir

3D Mark 2001 - 100,002p

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Ok here it is, I was pleasantly surprised and so will you be.
    For the OC I took the closest setting to 790mhz in rivatuner which was 793mhz.

QX9650@4.13ghz and CFx@750/900
    [​IMG]

QX9650@4.13ghz and CFx@793/900
    [​IMG]

That's a 400 point increase in vantage with a mere 40mhz overclock on the cores :)

And @Skiddywinks: those can be found in the power user tab under:
    Rivatuner \ Fan
    Rivatuner \ Overclocking \ Global
    Try it out and see if it works for you to OC them all by just doing 1, didn't work for me...

EDIT: I just noticed that my CPU score on the second bench was a little higher also for some reason, maybe that boosted my score also, I'll do one more bench hoping CPU score will be closer to the first one to get a better impression of the real extra points because of the GPU OC.

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Ahh, so that's how you use the Power User doodads. Many thanks. Seems so simple I want to slap myself now -_-

Granted, it is my first day with Riva :p

Will give OCing a go now. Not a bad performance increase for only 43MHz. Looking hopeful, eh?

EDIT: Well, GPU-Z seems no good in helping me figure out if it is doing both cores, as it is currently telling me one core+memory are at 2D clocks, and the others at 3D clocks.

9. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I did a second bench @793mhz, my cpu score is a little lower now but my GPU score went up now lol and the total score is even higher now. So actually there is no doubt that the OC gives a substantial increase in scores, especially for an OC of only 43mhz. I think that with an identical CPU score there would be an increase of around 350-400 3dmarks for this OC.

[​IMG]

10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Screw it; with GPU-Z being a pain (in my last post if you missed it), and me needing to be up at 8 tomorrow (or today, rather), I am going to call it a night and leave you fine gentlemen to it.

Shame I won't be home until 10PM. 14 hours without my PC :(

Good night gents.

11. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    Must be getting late as the cloning setting DOES work :)
    I can change 1 clock now and all 4 follow immediately.
    The clone on the fan control on the other hand doesn't seem to work for me, I still need to set them both manually.

12. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Oh god thank you!

13. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Ived noticed a few people over the past few pages are having trouble with the X2 with the Asus X38/X48 boards, what bios are you guys using? Perhaps there is a driver issue?

14. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    i have the x48 asus what seems to be the problems as im getting a 4870x2 soon

15. spigen

spigen Member

GPU:
    Visiontek HD4870X2

I just scored 17,818 in 3dmark06. but i swear the first time I tested it a week or so ago it was up around 18,989 or something. I need some serious bios help and researching to get this thing to where it should be scoring at.

16. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't know if there IS a problem, I know my P45 board just runs fine, and most people I know that had one it didnt have any problems either. There are just some people on here recently that have issues with the 4870X2 like corruption, crashes, shutdowns, that have an Asus board (like Maximus or Forumula, Rampage or something). I don't know if these are all X38/X48 boards, possibly a P35, but it may be worth checking out if there is a bios or a setting with a few of these Asus boards that are causing a problem.

It wouldnt mean the board is bad or the card is bad, just that there is a incompatiability between the two somewhere. I was thinking maybe a new or older bios may be causing an issue? Maybe even a driver for the chipset/PIC-E?

17. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I have an X38 Maximus Formula and I'm running latest official bios now (1207) with catalyst 8.9 beta drivers and 2 of these babies. It is really rock solid. Not a crash, not a stutter, nothing... Couldn't be happier with my current setup.

18. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Good good, hopefully those having troubles (that I was decribing) could let us know which board/bios/drivers they are using to see if that could be a contributing factor.

19. Peentje

Peentje Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 X2
    I tested some more yesterday with rivatuner 2.11. I could reach an overclock on the cores of 830 without artifacting and up to 850 without crashing but with artifacting. Anything higher will need a bios flash to raise the voltages. The memory can be overclocked but only in chunks of 25mhz.
    Enabling the cloning on cores worked for me right away, but the cloning of the fan speed control didn't work at first, it did work after I rebooted though for some reason.

Now I wish I could say that overclocking the cores raises vantages scores considerably, it seemed to do so at first, but I've benched several times and there is a quite large fluctuation in scores in vantage which makes it hard to say how much extra it gives you. To know really sure you'd need to bench 10 times on one core frequency and 10 times on a higher frequency, take an average and compare imo. Otherwise it'll be hard to give a real conclusive answer on the profits gained by raising core frequencies.

Here's the highest score I reached yesterday with my QX9650@4.23 and the cards overclocked to 830/950:

[​IMG]

But then again, I did around 5 benches and the lowest score was P20956 so as I said there's a quite large margin of "error" in vantage which makes it hard to tell without averaging out a decent number of benches or maybe it's just me...
    But I'm sure there is a profit as I checked fps during particular scenes of the GPU tests and raising the core frequency from default to 830mhz gave me a raise in for example the first few frames running vantage from a max of 115fps to 121 fps.

20. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Are you running the fans at 100%? What are your GPU load temps like?