Vista 64 does not load after driver installation

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by liiight, Jul 4, 2008.

1. liiight

liiight New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GeForce 9800 GTX
    Spec:
    Quad core Q9300
    4Gb corsair DDR2
    Gigabyte E-P45-DS3 Mobo
    Gigabyte 9800 GTX (GV-NX98X512H-B) Card.
    Vista Ultimate 64 bit SP1
    Acer AL1721 monitor

The problem is that after i install display drivers, vista does not load.
    After the progress bar display, the screen goes completely black, and the computer hangs. There is no problem entering in safe mode, and after uninstalling the drivers, all is well (except the lack of display drivers naturally :))

I have tried downloading the latest stable drivers from nvidia (175.19), tried the drivers that came with the display card (not sure what ver that is) and even tried drivers from MS site. All with the same result.

I have also found this thread: http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t47148.html

which is pretty much the same problem i have. Unfortunately, i did not find any solutions for it.

Can anyone help me please?
    Thanks in advance.

2. balanceshift

balanceshift New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8500GT
    I have the same issue -
    Vista Home Pro
    Athlon Dual Core 6000+
    Geforce 8500GT

I was playing Spore when the driver failed and the computer rebooted. After the Windows load bar, black screen. I can boot fine with the driver uninstalled and in Safe Mode. I am about to try the 162.22 Nvidia drivers...

Have you had any luck?

3. namklam

namklam Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 280 OCE2
  4. balanceshift

balanceshift New Member

GPU:
    Geforce 8500GT
    Nope - drivers right off nvidia.com.

I think forgot to mention in the last post that I'm on 32bit Vista. In any case, I spent a good few hours installing and uninstalling drivers, using driver wipe programs, etc. Eventually I must have got the combo right, because now it's working fine. I think the trick was making sure ALL the driver files were deleted, all over the system...

Best of luck!

5. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I had the same problem after installing a new driver; I had to go back to a restore point from before I uninstalled the last driver, install the new driver over the top of it, then I could uninstall and run driver sweeper without it killing my Vista install in the process. I can't remember which driver version that was now, I think the uninstall process was broken for it somehow.

Very strange.

6. Outrance

Outrance Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD6950 950Mhz/1350Mhz