Man City FC to bid £120 million ( not a typo! ) for Ronaldo

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Risco, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
  2. Raven^

Raven^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Ati 4870 512mb (Stock)
    shame he was bought for £30mill +
    Man city got there money from some stinking rich arib company and that same company bought out CPL as well!!!

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yeah i agree, i thought it was pretty nuts yesterday since the news got out they bought the club,and the same evening they got Robinho for 40 million.

4. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    Shame Arsenal don't buy anyone experienced :( Getting fed up with Wengers tactics... we want to win the prem for god sakes.

I see Man City finnishing around 4th, battling with Villa for that place.

5. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    didnt you watch the last matches ? they played great!
    still i think your right though, they should have bought some players :)

6. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    Well last match was good, but anyone see Fulham match...? ;)

7. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    Arsenal are a selling club until they pay for their stadium ( about 10 years ) You should count yourself lucky that Arsene Wenger is a good manager and good with the books. He actually has a degree in Economics iirc, hence why they will never get rid of him.

Lets face, how many managers can sell the team every season and still be in the top 4 the following? It is nothing short of a miracle what he has done for you.

8. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    I wasn't saying he was a bad manger at all, i've been a gooner for nearly 20 years.
    I just feel he makes some bad choices, we need an experienced midfieder, to support the youngsters. We were planning to buy barry or alonso, not sure what happened there.

Back in the late 90's / early 2000's we were the best :D

9. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    1998 to be precise ;)

10. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    Pires, Viera, Henry, Wiltord, Overmars, Bergkamp... oh and can't forget ol' Seaman :D

11. Risco

Risco Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 650M
    Bergkamp was the best import ever imo, a true star.

12. SERUM

SERUM Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 560 Ti
    He sure was ;)

13. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  14. T1tan

T1tan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 24GB GDDR
    lol did you say 225 billion pounds? No way.

15. soul8103

soul8103 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8600M GT
    Spent all day watching the transfer drama, absorbing stuff :)

I'm excited about man city. Not so much because of there new found fortune. But more so because it shakes up the higher end of the premiership a bit more. With man city up there now as well, or in the forseeable future if investment in the club goes ahead as planned, we could see the premiership top end battle becomming more exciting then it ever has been..... Before it was only liverpool, arsenal and man u, then chelsea joined the fight, and now city could be up there too. Good stuff :).

The sad thing about this however is it is strikingly evident that if a club does not have a high amount of funds, they will always struggle to even get in the top 6 let alone 4. Promoted clubs inevitably go down accept a few success stories like sunderland and reading, although now reading are down again and steve coppel wasnt a half bad manager. Maybe keano is the lifeline for sunderland. I think the bottom end of the premiership has always been mroe exciting then the higher end. The battle to not get relegated has always been awesome with great escape stories like fulham and west ham before them (tevez anyone?). There is just way to much freaking money in football, and there really needs to be a salary cap or some kind of sense. When players like robinho (hes good, but not 30 million pounds good considering torres was bought for 10 less) are getting such a high price all its doing is forcing all the clubs to have to spend more and more to get any star player. Chelsea started this craziness before them, and its just getting worse and worse. Players don't move to clubs for the history or the pride of playing for such a team. It's now who pays the most. This is where i have to respect Wenger. He has turned so many players from unknowns into really high quality players with a style of play that really has not been emulated in any other premiership club.

So although the battle for the top is certainly getting more interesting, im saddened that the premiership is turning into a business empire where the football is beccoming secondary to the amount of money being thrown around. It's exciting, you have to wonder whether its the right kind of excitement for the right reasons.

THANK GOD FOR THE FA CUP!

16. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
  17. bcoupland

bcoupland Master Guru

GPU:
    9300 onboard
    as a city fan, i am both chuffed and saddened.

chuffed because finally my team has the chance to stop being the underdogs,be top 4 in England, make it into the champions league and do me proud.

on the flipside though, all this wealth will turn us into the next chelski, buying a team doesn't have the same feeling as building one up through the training camps.

also the wave of glory hunting fans jumping on the bandwagon.

we need a better defence before we wax more cash on our strikeforce.

18. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I hate football and the nancy millionaires that play it!

19. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    He has a personal fortune of around £150 billion, but with him and the other partners in the investment group, theyre actually worth around £500 billion, which is close to $1 trillion dollars.