Windows cannot find 'igfxcfg'...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by at0msk, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Razrback16

Razrback16 Member

GPU:
    Radeon 4890 Crossfire
    I ran into that w/ the 8.7 Beta drivers. I ended up just removing the CCC and running the display driver only. When the 8.8 Beta drivers came out I installed them and the CCC installed fine. I think it was a driver issue w/ that driver package.

2. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970

I did not ask for an explanation On ATI's shortcomings. And did I say anyone told me anything on SLI or Physics, I stated a fact. Why do you want to twis my words around and put words into my mouth. I made no such statements, PLEASE, PLEASE. I don,t care about your take on the matter. GFY.

3. evolucion888

evolucion888 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6900
    Kid, once you grow, then talk to me like one, otherwise don't bother. It was a repost to your misleading posts, if you don't like it, then get out of here and stop wasting space which can be useful for grown up users like us that likes to post/share anything from both sides, without worrying about who likes it and who doesn't.

4. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with ATi or their drivers...it's only when people are used to nVidia and don't understand the ATi hardware and software that threads like this one even pop up.

The best thing that ATi does with their drivers is release them once a month - it just shows that they do more testing and only release their drivers when they're ready for the public instead of releasing nightly builds that incorporate a fix or two for a single game while breaking several other games in the process...the boys on the nVidia side have to change drivers depending on which game they play, the boys on the ATi side pretty much only swap drivers to change their benchmark scores.

Granted that ATi should incorporate fan control into their CCC, and perhaps raise the overclock caps for the memroy and core(s), but this isn't mandatory, and for those who wish to have fan control, or overclock past CCC Overdrive's cap, they know how to do it (or they find out).

And, as far as Physix on the GPU, nVidia cornered that market - ATi has long had a physics base to work from, but never used it...also, as of now, ATi is looking to incorporate Havok into their cards which will make a difference in games and benchmarks.

I, for one, am sick of seeing nVidia get higher scores in some benchmarks just because of the physics processing - this isn't the sign of a superior product, it's the sign on an inferior benchmark...one that doesn't treat one side better than the other based on benchmarking preferences (another thing with benchmarks is that they are ALL still heavily CPU dependent, and you can see this for yourself by raising the resolution to the maximum (which, by all means, *should* remove the CPU from the equation), run the test, then raise your overclock on your CPU and run it again at that same resolution.)

In any case, no one should be getting upset at their purchase - ATi has the upper hand in the GPU department (power efficiency as well as fps currently), and anyone trying out ATi for the first time really should have patience enough to learn the new hardware and software - you certainly would expect me to do the same had I purchased an nVidia card and didn't understand how it worked, right??

Psychlone

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008

5. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    "Kid", that's a good one. evolucion888, like I said, you twisted my statement to fit your response, and told me I said something that I did'nt. How do you expect me to respond?
    You did not answer my question as to why you did that. I was not misleading in my statement. Those are indisputable facts and you gave reasons for them. You did not deny them. Denying them would be a reason for discusion, not excusing them. And if you bothered looking at just some of my posts here, you would see that I am the contributor here, and you simply state your opinions. And if you go to the bench section you will see that I have no problem at all with drivers. All drivers have thier own shortcomings or deficiencies. I am not trashing either nvidia or ati, I use both, and both have thier problems. When you stop talking down to people then we can discuss.

Psychlone, if your implying I came from one side and don't understand the other, you are sorely mistaken. You do bring up some excellent points for discusion and have a better than good assesment of the situation. But I entirely disagree with this.

"^ +1

There's absolutely nothing wrong with ATi or their drivers...it's only when people are used to nVidia and don't understand the ATi hardware and software that threads like this one even pop up."

That's wrong and you know it. You are not being totaly fair to these people but I do see you trying to help them out. And I congratulate you for that. I have more but I'm off to work, will check back in the morning.

6. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Actually, that wasn't meant for you...and since it was mistaken for such, I've edited it out of my original post so as to not create tension.
    My issue here is that I've seen this thread linked to in EVERY SINGLE POST that at0msk has posted in every forum here at Guru3D (like a signature that can't be blocked), and since there's just more than the few of us here that's actually posted in this thread reading all this, I feel as though I need to make up for the inaccuracies that were posted earlier (toward the top) so people can better understand the situation...which truly IS driver conflict and misunderstanding the new software and how it works.

I will stand by what I said about green turning red and not understanding how it all comes together - it's just too natural for people to assume that graphics cards are 'plug-n-play' like all our other devices we use daily - we're used to that and it's become commonplace to think that way, but they're not, and because of that, there are a multitude of misunderstandings and misgivings usually leading up to misleading posts like some of the ones posted at the top of this thread.

There is nothing wrong with ATi or their drivers. I would bet my entire system that 90% + of the issues most people are facing when coming to ATi from nVidia (barring any actual hardware or physical issues) are ALL user error, nothing more. - Please keep in mind that this isn't single-sided...going to nVidia from ATi is absolutely the exact same boat - and people experience the same exact issues. It's nothing more than people not doing their research before jumping the gun and expecting graphics cards to work like plug-n-play devices. (again, barring any actual hardware issues which happens no matter what brand/make/model you purchase)

As for the original issue in this thread - it's obviously not anything to do with nVidia drivers OR ATi drivers...it's something that was installed by 3rd party software that was needed to run it that is causing conflicts.

No offense intended drouge...I can agree to disagree with you if you still stand by your original statements.

Psychlone

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  7. evolucion888

evolucion888 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6900
    You tell me that you don't care about my takes on the matter like if you were the chief of staff of here and then you pretend that I would take it easy, people here posts, quotes, whatever people posts here, learn to be more tolerant to different opinions and stop bashing with no reason.

8. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    Good morning.

On bashing
    Evo, we could go on quoting each other for the sake of arguing, I do not wish to do that. I felt the flaming began when you threw the "who told you"s and the "please"s at me. I was only returning fire. You used them in a demeaning manner, to put me down or discredit me. Thats where the flaming started. We can, and I prefer to end the flaming now. I would rather stay on a peer to peer level with you. I don't talk down to anyone, and I don't like it when people talk down to me. But I see it all the time just the same. Let's start on new ground. Neither you or I are illiterate children. I can respect you if you do the same for me.

Psyclone, when I saw the uppointing arrow and the I agree comment, maybe I just misinterpeted what you meant. My mistake. I too saw the guy invading every thread I was in. I even tried to help him, but he seemed more intent on ranting about it than solving it. And I saw the lashing you gave him for it. We can most surely agree to disagree about things. Thats a given. No offence intended or taken. I also might of felt as though I was being gang banged. Again, my mistake. I dislike gang banging as much as I do flaming.

I sincerely hope we can overlook these misunderstandings and go on from here with no hard feelings.

9. evolucion888

evolucion888 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6900
    It's ok, no hard feeling here neither, just a little misunderstanding, have a beer :cheers::beer:

10. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    But gang banging isn't gang raping, and therefore, FUN! (j/k) ;)
    I guess I should have quoted what I was referring to so that wouldn't have happened, but it's a moot point now - we understand each other's opinions and respect that.
    All misunderstandings overlooked (mine too I hope!) :cheers:

Psychlone

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Why not just install the drivers and use ATi Tray Tools to do all your AA/AF etc... instead of the CCC if thats not working, you can also use the latest Rivatuner v2.10 to control your fan and overclock if you want.

12. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Toxic HD3870 512
    Psychlone:
    I was checking around and found on the ATI Community Forums that .Net 3.0 may be the issue. I'm 100% positive that it's got nothing to do with the LogMeIn driver. IGFXCFG is a part of the ATI install. I can reinstall 8.7 and it works perfectly. There is how I know it is ATI's doing. Even if it is an incompatibility with the mirror driver LogMeIn uses or the .Net Framework it was not there with the 8.7's and the two possible candidates have not changed; only the ATI software.

As for ATI Tray Tools? Yeah...I cannot get that to work as Vista x64 always kills the ATT driver. I use VistaBoot Pro to "disable" driver signature and will not run the OS in "Test Mode" just to run Ray's program. It works great on XP, used to love it. Hate it with a passion now.

13. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
  14. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Stop linking to this thread or i will report you for being realy anoying lol

15. Wolfseven

Wolfseven Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI NGTX580 1.2gb
    Just a shot in the dark bro But try turning off your Sounds card or disable it and then do a reinstall of the CCC see if that works.

I have had issues with ATI and SB the HD part of the ATI install was causing me errors So I would try that or Safe boot then install ATI.

16. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I just Googled 7 PAGES of igfxcfg - and not even a single link in 7 (seven) pages says anything besides "Intel Common User Interface" - so if you've got a link on this new information that you've got from some ATi Community Forums, I'd like to see that...nothing on Google even comes up with an ATi related link...

One guy that was having a similar problem was told to reinstall his motherboard's chipset drivers - he never posted back so I don't know if it worked or not, but perhaps something that you could try that is painless...

Good luck man, just stop linking to this thread in EVERY post you make here at Guru3D, and what's the point of linking to this thread FROM WITHIN THE THREAD???

Psychlone

17. at0msk

at0msk Member Guru

GPU:
    posting the link in this thread? did it for the lulz

oh and yeah, i've reinstalled the chipset drivers. accidently cleared them out with driver sweeper when i started a fresh install of the 8.8's so i installed them, rebooted, and installed 8.8 cats

it was someone here on the guru3d forums, may be in this thread or one about furmark that stated igfxcfg was ATI. i've intel nothing on my pc. been amd ever since i built my first rig.

i swear though it must be the drivers or some random vista update

18. drouge

drouge Master Guru

GPU:
    2x HIS HD5970
    the file is in the LH_INF directory of the cat install. Just search your pc for it's location.

19. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
  20. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    lolz @ kylzer!

@ drouge: I just did a complete search of my C drive and came up with nothing, so, I opened EVERY folder in C:\ATI as well as C:\Program Files\ATI and C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies, and looked at every single file manually, and I don't have it...so what driver version did you find it in? I searched the official 8.8's as well as the beta 8.52 & 8.54 sets...nothing.

Sorry, I just want to help atomsk out so I can get this resolved and over with...but I can't find igfxcfg anywhere on my computer, not in any compressed file, not in any directory, not even a reference to that file from within any .INF file - nothing...

Anyone else want to see if they can find it on their computers?? Please post up your search results (specific location of igfxcfg and/or any reference to it from within any other file pleas!)
    Let's get this figured out and buried!

Psychlone