4870 X2 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. eduardmc

eduardmc Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
    your q6600 might kill it, if u had a dual u might, just like me.

2. davin8r

davin8r New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2
    Hi everybody,

I just edited and re-flashed my Sapphire 4870 X2 BIOS for a permanent automatic Fan Speed fix.

It works great! I used this guide (but be sure to get the latest versions of each programs):

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1020578.html

and since he was flashing a 4870 (not X2), be sure to read up on the new fan controller for the X2 here in order play with your fan settings:
    http://www.techpowerup.com/articles//overclocking/vidcard/154/6

I kept it on "Automatic mode", turned OFF "Dynamic mode", put Tmin at 60%, Tmax at 90%, and Duty cycle min % at 45. My fan now stays at 45% during 2D (very quiet and my GPU idles at about 57 C instead of 80 C), then ramps up accordingly during games as the temp goes above 60.

3. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I've already ordered one, so I'm just gonna assume it fits. It it doesn't, I'm gonna have to break out the dremel and trim the memory clips a bit ;)

They've been out of stock for a while, but Eddy said he gets new stock at monday.

4. eduardmc

eduardmc Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 580 SLI 900/1800/4200
    i rather create profile, right now my 4870x2 idle @ 38C with only 35% fan speed. my room temp is 84f . i have mine overclocked to 790mhz/930mem and it never reaches 75c at full load.

5. rossiski

rossiski New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2
    Good suggestion. However, the first screenshot is showing the history of the GPU. It was definitely zero. I took the first screenshot right after Alt-Tabbing out from a game and Core 1 is the only one showing usage in the history.

Here's another screenshot I took after I reinstalled the drivers.

Both cores are now working.
    [​IMG]

If your theory holds water, I wouldn't show history on the left GPU-Z (and it does) because the right one is now in the foreground.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  6. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    Fellow gurus, which 4870x2 driver currently works best with Crysis? Frankly, I found that this is the only game that pushes this card.

Thanks in advance.

7. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    8.8 Cat either beta or official, some people have no problem with 8.8 official, some do, just make sure you get it from AMD. I use 8.8 beta right now.

8. thunder50

thunder50 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 7900 512
    Hey everyone. I've been planning a new comp for a while now and I'm pretty keen on getting a 4870 x2. It's just that the temps that these things reach look way too high. Does adjusting the fan control void the card's warranty? Have any of you gotten any heat related problems from these cards? Sorry if I sound like a paranoid freak but what's the point in spending my hard earned on a new rig if it's just gonna end up like Chernobyl. Everyone's thoughts on this matter would be great.

9. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    No, it does not void warranty. To change fan speed all you have to do is create a profile in Control Center of the driver, then modify the fan speed values in an .xml file.

And it doesn't run too hot once you add some fan speed.

10. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    hello people, i am afraid i can almost confirm that this card with a quad core and "only" a psu of 620w does not work :(

in 2d its fine but when going 3d the pc either reboots itself or not exactly peforming as it should

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008

11. thunder50

thunder50 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 7900 512
    Thanks for the quick reply Stukov. I'm thinking about getting a coolermaster stacker 831 or 832 case for my new rig. You can throw a total of 9 120mm fans into those puppies, four of those can go into the side panel of the case. Providing the case would sound like a blackhawk, would so many fans make much difference to the cards temp? I'm not really all that keen on liquid cooling. Sorry for all of the temp questions, it just gets hot in summer where I'm from.

12. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    They may reduce your ambient temp and help get air moved to your X2, but the main part of cooling the X2 is having the fan spun up. If you can tolerate the noise it can really cool the card off.

13. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    It is not watt's that count, but the amount of Amps on the 12v rails. How many amps can your PSU push.

14. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    A member PMed me about the Club 3D version having a PCI-e 6-pin to 8-pin converter. This is what I answered:
    Am I correct?

Do other brands come with such a cable?

15. psyxeon

psyxeon Guest

GPU:
    Saffi 6800xt
    I know safire randeon comes with the adapter, but club 3d doesn´t

16. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    50amps

17. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Thanks. I didn't get one either.

@Stukov:
    I've benchmarked it with 3DMark06. Maybe you want to add it to the list. I've got this:

3DMark06: 15,214 AMD 9850BE @ 2.8GHz - GPU (750/900) 8.8 Catalyst, Vista 64bit

18. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Been a long time since a GFX card update ,but decided to get 4870x2 ,I m currently running a 600watt silverstone PSU ,and have about 3 harddrives and a few fans here and there.
    When I first installed ,i drivercleaned nv stuff away and put on 8.8 from the site straight up ,after alt-tabbin out of Assasins Creed ,I got this flicker as if the backlight of LCD is shifting backwards and forwards. I have then tried Hitman Blood Money and experienced the same thing ,when I ran Grid I had black tearing bars running through and most of the screen was part black.

I switched over to a different pci -express slot after noticing that it was running at x8 (nforce4 limitation on a blue slot) ,it runs at 16x now. And now I get no flicker ,however FPS is still low ,GRID especially ,is my PSU getting choked?

I must mention that when I booted up Vista64 ,everything ran fine and pretty fast ,however I havent tested GRID yet on it.

SO what can it be ? Drivers or PSU or clean OS? This is my first ATI card in my life so take it easy on me :D

19. mb

mb Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 980 SC
    bladerunner, your situation seems similar to mine and we have about the same specs too. this is kinda good news for me you know, because it has consolidated my assumption about my 620w psu being not enough

20. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    I had the same sort of issue when I was upgrading to 6800Ultra ,I was getting lines everywhere and terrible fps and that was on a 400watt psu ,i upgraded and all went fine ,it looks like I ll need to splash out for 1kw after all (