The most performance demanding 3d Test ever?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Sneakers, Aug 27, 2008.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    You think it is overheating when it is perfect during Single GPU, when temperatures inside the PC actaully is higher then during SLI ( since one of the gfx cards are running on 60% fan actually raising temps a tiny bit ).

Besides my gfx cards idle @ around 45-47 degrees, mobo is at 36-37 during idle, and 38-40ish during loads.

CPU is at 30 and 31 c during idle on cores, so overheating is just not it, I wish it was that simple though.

I havn't tried with XP but the whole point with going SLI is to be able to play in dx10 @ 1680 resultion, so going back to dx9 is just not an option.

/edit

One thing I did suspect in the past was the NB overheating, since Asus P5N-D had heating issues with the first batches, but I got an active cooler on it ( a fan ) and personally I don't think it seems that hot, can easily touch it, so it is <55 degrees atleast ( since the over all Mobo temperature could be wrong, or only count for some areas, located near the sensors ).

Anyway, the NB should be heated due to my CPU OCing not due to having one more GFX right? And since I don't take out the GFXs but leave them in that card still takes and gets power and produce heat yet it is ROCK SOLID as single GPU whatever settings and OCing I have.

I find this problem to be sooo tedious and wierd I'm just thinking about selling them GFX cards, yet I do not want to :)

/edit2,

If the soundcard is overheating what symptoms would that have, actually this is something I never thought about and could actually be it.

I mean I have a PSU blowing air underneath it and I have a hot GFX above it ( and during SLI thats the 2nd card, wich get hotter then normally during single GPU )

Could an overheating soundcard cause bsods, and freezes?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Yes, an over-heating soundcard can cause bsod and crashes.

I have the pci-slot back-plate removed and a delta 60mm fan sitting on the soundcard blowing air out. The audigy without that fan gets hot! Instability is noticed more on hot days for me although no problems right now.

The area underneath (motherboard) and around the graphics cards (especially exhaust 1/2) gets really hot.

Remove the soundcard and try using onboard and see if games still crash out.

3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm not too sure that Folding@Home on GPU makes your temps go as high as possible, i just tested it for quite some time and it only made my 8800 GT go up to 51C, while FurMark made my 8800 GT go up to 61C

4. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

This is what I'm gonna try next.

Would be both good and bad if this is the cause of the problem since I got used to having nice 5.1 sound :)

5. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    The most demanding 3D test EVER is DEFINITELY going to be Crysis with everything on "Very High", and 2560x1600, with 4x AA.

I've even heard someone getting their 8600 GT killed as a result of playing Crysis... probably true too if Le Inq's story was correct.

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I trust Le Inq as much as id trust gary glitter with my 14 year old cousin.

7. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Right, now the soundcard is taken out and testing as begun!

See how it goes, I'm actually starting to think this could really be it.

Fits the descrition for SLI aswell since most ppl with SLI setups have really crowded cases, and often you have PSU at the base and then the soundcard above it, so it takes heat from psu and then from GFX card, with minimal airflow and no active cooling on its own.

/edit

Right I take all above yibber back. I just had a BSOD after ~1 min ingame World in Conflict, just like before I took soundcard out :).

So to list what I done.

I tested system with SLI on with Soundcard in + running prime95 + vantage, for 30 mins - No bsod, no freeze, no crash. This means PSU is able to provide no?

I tested SLI system underclocked with WiC = bsod

I tested SLI system overclocked with WiC = bsod

I tested SLI system at default settings with WiC = bsod

I tested SLI system at default settings with no soundcard with WiC = bsod

I tested system OC/UC/Default with single gpu = rocksolid @ all settings, not had one single bsod in 7 months as single GPU.

One thing that changed since the new driver 177.92 is that it is 50/50 now with BSOD msgs blaming Nvldd and system/hardware error, before it always pointed to nvldd.

Seriously I don't know what to make of all this, seems SLI isn't working that well for me lol.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  8. 90Ozkr

90Ozkr Active Member

GPU:
    9600gt OC 765/1928/1136
    Well to stress my card, and to check if my OC is stable i used to use ONLY ATI Tool, Furmark and Crysis. However once or... even twice i had No errors with ATI tool, for 18 mins, and ran Furmark for another 20 mins, and got no errors there either. So obviouslly i was like "There, highest stable OC". But, i was wrong... i ran Crysis and i got a crash within 15 mins of gameplay.

Then i discovered a Benchmark that since that day has been an ally :D I ran it, and it froze within 40 secs. I lowered my clocks a bit, and stayed stable for a long while (8 mins) and since that day Crysis has stopped to crash on me...
    The benchmark is "Unigine v.4 Sanctuary" Its awesome i tell you =D

9. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Have to try that then. I mean if it works with a very demanding bench then I should be able to rule out the hardware as beeing the cause of the problems I havein actual games.

Okey, I tried it a little bit now on default settings in my system. This is by FAR the most kickass performance tests I seen, it pushed my 8800 GTX to 74 degrees, highest temp I ever seen in this machine so far.

Only minus is that it doesnt utilize SLI at all and thats what I wanted to test since I already know it is stable during single gpu. Do you know if any of the other plugins or programs support SLI?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  10. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Furmark (1280x1024) heats mine up the most ~65°.

Unigine (1280x1024) ~63°.

rthdribl (1280x1024) all options on, settings to highest ~62°.

UT3 benchmark (1280x1024) 16xAA ~62°.

Measurements by Everest Ultimate 4.50 BETA 1488.

Unfortunately, I do not have Crysis to test...

11. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Just run them all and determine for yourself and knowing you throughly tested your card. And it's fun to do ; )

Lex
    (Superman can fly but can't do everything good!)

12. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    The Crysis SP Demo is probably just as stressful.

13. Nerox

Nerox Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE 6950 2GB
    GPU Caps Viewer, it has some tests you could use , after you choose a test you can set the options to the max (resolution, AA,) .. I remember my vga reach 90°C with that that even with the fans at 100%

14. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I've had your problem. For me it was CPU voltage. I raised it. It worked. Never crashed since.
    Edit; Wait did you test your system with no CPU overclock or were you talking bout the video cards?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  15. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    GPU Caps Viewer 1.5.2
    OpenGL Demos:

All demos run for ~60 seconds

Idle Temp ~56°

FUR Rendering Demo 1280x1024 ~66°
    HDR, DoF and RadialBlur Demo 1280x1024 ~64°
    HW Geometry Instancing Demo 1280x1024 ~61°
    Soft Shadows Demo 1280x1024 ~64°
    GLSL Point Sprite Particles Demo 1280x1024 ~58°
    Vertex Displacement Mapping Demo 1280x1024 ~62°
    CEL-SHADING Demo 1280x1024 ~62°

16. epoxer

epoxer New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS 640MB 112sp
  17. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Update!

Thanks for all the posts guys but I solved my SLI problem now.

All I had to do was take out 2 gigs ram and it worked rocksolid with SLI aswell.

Wierd part is that all ram sticks work on their own, and two by two when in SLI but not all 4. And they work all 4 when sli is turned off :puke2:

So not sure what to make of it all except that 4x1 ram is not a good solution. Gonna buy some corsair 2x2g ram in some days and test it.

18. Arctucas

Arctucas Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3