Is my new card busted?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by =HPSF=GO-GO, Aug 27, 2008.

1. =HPSF=GO-GO

=HPSF=GO-GO Member

GPU:
    8800gt
    when i install the new card it beeps 3 times in post an i get no display. put in old card everything fine.

is card bad?
    its an 8800 replacing an 6800

2. bluemoogle

bluemoogle Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 260
    is the videocard fan spinning? check your molex connection, reseat your card and power up again.

3. =HPSF=GO-GO

=HPSF=GO-GO Member

GPU:
    8800gt
    yea, card getting power. I actually think its 4 beeps though. 1 really quick 1 followed by 3 steady. tried reseating it. using same power connecters 6800 use.
    6800 runs fine.

4. Yellowbeard

Yellowbeard Master Guru

Can you test the new card in another system to verify that it works? Also, what PCI-e spec is your MOBO?

5. =HPSF=GO-GO

=HPSF=GO-GO Member

GPU:
    8800gt
    no and I know it aint 2.0 as far as pci-e spec goes. I think I might have made a big boo boo. Please tell me i don't need a new mobo. mobo is a asus a8v-e se. i'm lookin for a bios flash right now. site is slow as hell.

6. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Is that AV8N S-E using VIA chipset? If it does I bet it just doesnt like your 8800 and 8800 doesnt like your VIA.

Try to update bios?

7. =HPSF=GO-GO

=HPSF=GO-GO Member

GPU:
    8800gt
    its a via chipset. is there another place to find a bios for this mobo? the asus site needs to upgrade their tin can and string for the website.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Ditto!

9. =HPSF=GO-GO

=HPSF=GO-GO Member

GPU:
    8800gt
    OK, gonna hijack my own thread here.

No bios upgrade to fix problem. Last bios written in 05 so I guess I'm screwed. Kinda.

I have "x" amount of dollars to spend for the mobo,proc, mem upgrade. I have found 2 likely candidates.
    1. is amd phenom 9850 with 4 gigs of ram
    2. is an intel Q6600 with 2 gigs of ram

I am leaning twards the amd because the xtra ram would be nice. I also have never owned an intel in 12 years of building. I know the Q outperforms the Phenom but just barely.

thoughts?

10. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    It's a tough choice, but if you went with AMD's 790 FX chipset, you could potentially upgrade to AMD's 45nm parts which are looking promising. The Phenom though will probably be a bit more power hungry than the Core 2, especially if you had the G0 revision of the Q6600 (which is very likely what you would get today unless you got very old stock).

11. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    The 2 extra GB of RAM with the 9850 will outperform the Q6600 if it only has 2GB available. I also agree with the 790FX suggestion, as I've heard rumors of the new 45nm AMD's hitting 3GHz in the lab. The 790FX is also a good choice if you want to try an ATi card some day, since that chipset is specially tuned to take advantage of ATi architecture (though the nVidia card will still work fine).

12. =HPSF=GO-GO

=HPSF=GO-GO Member

GPU:
    8800gt
  13. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    CLEAR the CMOS settings from your BIOS a FEW times. I've seen this happen before and doing that fixed it.

14. =HPSF=GO-GO

=HPSF=GO-GO Member

GPU:
    8800gt
    Well, the phenom bundle is on its way. Thanx for the info on via not liking the 8800.