Super MPC XP!

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Smurfer, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950
    I think I found a stable solution using Arcsoft codecs and Cyberlinks H.264 codec in MPC. At first when I started up Red October I couldn't get the English audio track using Haali. Same for Clear and Present Danger, TMT's new .121 build is by far a vast improvement over earlier builds but still lacked the PQ I was looking for. And when I played Red October it looked liked sh!t using TMT.

.121 suffers from aliasing and bad overlays which in turn causes color banding and artifacts. Using VMR9 in XP has always been a better solution because there is no color banding or artifacting the picture is solid with no distortion.
    At first I was getting hard reboots using the TMT codecs and thought since I was using Cyberlink's H.264 decoder in place of TMT's that must be causing the issues, so I tried the TMT video decoder with the same results. It would go into a screeching lock up and reboot. So breaking the Arcsoft codec chain has nothing to do with the lock ups. And not to mention TMT's video codec suffers from video corruption Cyberlink's codec doesn't so I really wanted to use Cyberlink's decoder in place of TMT's.

Success! After re arranging the filter line up in MPC I now have a stable working solution I just looped Red October for 6 hrs and no reboots!:)

First thing I did was unregister Haali using GSpot, wipe out any exsisting filters in MPC and get the Arcsoft HD Audio decoder, Arcsoft MPG demux decoder set merit to 06500000, and last but not least Cyberlinks H.264 decoder in the order I listed. I also forgot to mention set your sound card to 96KHz or you will get the squealing hard reboot of death TMT converts to 96KHz.

[​IMG]
    As you can see there is no down rezzing using the AS decoders media stays true to the original source.:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok so now I have English audio, no banding/artifacting and excellent playback with pristine PQ.:D

DFI 939 Dual Core 2.5, XP.
    nVidia 7850 94.20 drivers
    Aud 2 sound card analog out.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  2. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    What is this with? Blu-Ray?

3. Zeppo

Zeppo Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 560Ti / Sony 40-EX723
    So you can use MPC to watch BluRau/HD-DVD's?

Can you get rid of the black borders on movies?

4. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I don't think you can get MPC to play Blu-Ray. You can get it to play ripped, unencrypted HD DVDs by disabling some of the directshow stuff and using some specific splitter. But I haven't seen info on Blu-Ray.

Get rid of the borders, do you mean "zoom in/crop"? MPC can do that.. though why you would want to is confusing. You lose some of the picture.

5. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950
    Yes this is Blu ray Red October archived to the PC MPC's zoom function is nothing less than stellar especially for the 105" screens and up. Not to bad on a 46" LCD. The reason I posted this is because with the AS decoders and properly setting up your filter chain there literally is no user input. And the plus to MPC is using shortcuts to watch a marathon of archived HDM whether it be HD DVD or Blu ray. AS decoders make MPC a real dual player since the .121 update also due to the HD audo codec. No more foolin with sound codecs AS HD audio decoder does it all...
    [​IMG]

6. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950
    Actually MPC was always able to play mpg2 BD files in the early days even with my P4. Take Mi III for instance on BD-->mpg2 can easily be played in a 2.4 P4 with just about any video card, my 9700 still does a fine job.

Just a reminder you do not have to rip your HDM material AnyDVD can decrypt so you can play your disc on the fly, so no need archive if your short on storage.;)

7. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Have you tried using MPC Home Cinema version? It's being updated and has a load of other features.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

It's got an EVR renderer, DXVA offloading to the gpu and loads of bug fixes that were left when they stopped developing MPC.

8. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950
    No benefit for Xp users unless your running into tearing issue's, EVR looks the same as VMR9 if your properly color calibrated in other words there is no difference in PQ. And also there is no acceleration for EVR in XP, I already tested MPC HC a loong time ago thanks for the tip anyways...

9. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950
    This is a good test for TMT if you have tabbed browsing look at what your viewing[​IMG] you have to click on the pic for the full image. Once you get the full image's click back and forth on the tabs it's like TMT needs glasses it's blurry, and has terrible aliasing as I stated when they released the Japanese version. They really need to address this they seem to be using a really weird overlay and I swear it doesn't look right almost as if it's down rezzing but I know it's not, it's just bad sw overlays that makes it look blurry with bad aliasing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I have pretty much ditched PDVD and put TMT on the back burner PDVD hasn't been used in about a year now. And TMT is used for branched file structures like Ratatouilli and the likes. I just use MPC it handles everything better as far as PQ using either Cyberlinks H.264 decoders or TMT's decoders for VC-1 files. MPC's PQ is crsip and clear with no aliasing issue either! And I can play all my movies in series, we triple feature here folks.[​IMG] Sometimes a 24hr marathon.[​IMG] And MPC is the only player that can do this with no user input. TMT will use it's DXVA renderer if you drag the file in the UI it only usese the overlays when in the menu just like PDVD. But even then it doesn't handle filtering like MPC, take Red October or any other movie with a lot of grain MPC handles grain far far better than TMT. You be the judge....

10. Smurfer

Smurfer Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7950
    As suspected Arsoft is using Strecth-O-Vision! 16:10 :rpg:Enough already it's been like this since the first Japanese beta.

11. duggyhow

duggyhow New Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 3600
    Jitter

What up Smurfer, I am using an alrmost same setup as you but I have jitter in the playback of my archived movie of Twister. Did you have this problem, if so, what did you do? I'm not using the Arcsoft decoder, I'm using Cyberlink and I've got a ATI Radeon 3600. I have the latest drivers downloaded for my ATI card. I've tried different settings with MPC but no good. I have the jitter while playing thru PowerDVD also. The special feature video that was archived in the same folder with the movie plays fine with no jittering. Also, when I open the movie file, it says the movie is nearly 4 hours long. I know that's not right. What should I do? I'm confused. Thanks.