First time building PC, wont post...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by mechazawa, Aug 23, 2008.

1. mechazawa

mechazawa Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070 SSC
    All of my specs are in my profile...I even used the guide at the top of the page. When I go to turn on the computer...I hear a faint sound of electricity and the blue L.E.D on the front of my case turns on...but no beep and none of the L.E.Ds on the mobo turn on. Right now im pretty confused and starting to think that this stuff is over my head.....any help would be awesome.

2. b2ghero

b2ghero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GS 661/1647/963
    make sure everything is plugged in, all the headers, power, etc. try reseating your RAM too, or swap slots

3. mechazawa

mechazawa Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070 SSC
    Well, i did that..and now the case fan and PSU fan jiggle a bit when i press the power button....but still no go

4. b2ghero

b2ghero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GS 661/1647/963
    make sure the video card, cpu, etc are all situated right, otherwise it should boot just fine

5. Kinfa

Kinfa Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX580 8GB
    What do you mean with "a faint sound of electricity"? Maybe you short something? Did you put motherboard standoffs on proper positions?

6. TV addict#2

TV addict#2 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EvgaGtx680+HPLP-3065
    try with one stick of ram installed,could be if you have the performance type ram it needs 2.2v to boot and most motherboards are set to 1.8v vdimm defualt
    boot to bios,raise your vdimm to your rams needed value and than shut down and install the other stick
    you may need to get hold of a stick of 1.8v ram to boot into bios to get your adjustment made
    my gkx firestixx run at my speed with 1.8 vdimm

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  7. bigpipe

bigpipe Watson Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 1080

That sounds like the MB is shorting to the case. You will see the PS fan and maybe the cpu fan try to turn for a split second before the protection circuit in the PS shuts the power down.

As was asked earlier did you install the standoffs for the MB and did you make double sure they were all in the right place??

You could always pull the MB out of the case and just set it on the box the MB came in then hook up your PS ram cpu video and keyboard to see if you can at least get to the bios screen

8. JumperR

JumperR Master Guru

GPU:
    GtX 570 @ 900/1950
    Make sure CPU fan installed correctly.
    happened to me.. :/

9. mechazawa

mechazawa Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070 SSC
    Well, I just tried it outside of the case and it worked...so what are the steps of figuring out where the short is?
    Im just glad i dont have to send anything back to newegg...
    and the MB was secured to the correct standoffs....what should i do with all of the extra standoffs/risers?

10. WinMacLin

WinMacLin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Keep the extras in a bag and store them you may need them one day.

Make sure that there isn't a rogue cable touching any parts of the motherboard. Make sure there isn't a riser touching the motherboard where there isn't a hole for a screw (This is very easy to miss, especially on cases that have positions for multiple ATX standards).

If you do all this, your system should boot fine as you say, it works outside of the case and this is usually an indication of a short or a component that is being dislodged from its socket/connector by a stressed fitting.

Nice system by the way, hope you get it all sorted :)

11. mechazawa

mechazawa Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070 SSC
    I think i pinpointed the problem.....when i had it out of the case..i only had the 20 pin cable plugged in to the MB without the plus 4....but when i plug in the plus 4, it wont start...does this happen often?

12. WinMacLin

WinMacLin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    it can happen if your plugging in the wrong 4-pin.

Many ATX power supplies use a 20+4 design. where its a 24-Pin ATX power connector but 4-pins are detachable. On the motherboard is a separate 4-Pin connector (sometimes an 8-Pin) you should not use the 4-pin from the 20+4 in the 4-pin connector on the motherboard. You should have a completely separate cable from the PSU with just a 4-pin on it for this usage.

Please go in to more detail about which cables you have and where your using them.

13. mechazawa

mechazawa Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070 SSC
    the 4 pin im talking about is wrapped with the 20 pin... the other completely separate 4 pin is plugged into the CPU 12v connector on the MB.

14. mechazawa

mechazawa Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070 SSC
    Well..all is good! Ive installed Vista 64...and got all drivers updated...thanks for all your help guys!

15. b2ghero

b2ghero Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GS 661/1647/963
    glad we could help

16. mechazawa

mechazawa Guest

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 1070 SSC
    Finished Product

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. WinMacLin

WinMacLin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Looks like a nice system you've got built there. And good cable management. :)

Enjoy your new system.

18. cpetry99

cpetry99 New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8400gs
    Don't know if you've fixed this yet, but I had the exact same problem with an ECS motherboard. It was a bad board. I had to exchange it for a new one.