Folding Update - Multi GPU Support (New Core 1.07)

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Julepalme, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Gaboou

Gaboou Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTXes ->> SM 275T
    What the heck, I could even bring it myself and have a nice vacation in the States if you have a spare room. And the electricity/guest bill would also be yours to pay. :D
    THX for good wishes. :)
    P.S. And how would I know you wouldn't game on it instead of folding? :3eyes:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670
    Does a shed count as a spare room? :p I can run an extention cord for you.

3. deurbel

deurbel Active Member

GPU:
    Trippl 8800-620-1000-1500
    Julepalme, thanks, yes i leave it off.
    I overclocked the cards a little, they run fine at 640, 1000, 1600 with 5313 ppd per card.

Still not managed to get them all 3 running :(

@ above, hehe lol i would take your shed :p i was with the marines i slept on the strangest places heheh :rolleyes:

4. Crossfire

Crossfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4670

LOL, I was joking just so I don't get any PMs from some homeless people wanting to live in my shed. That would be hard to explain to my parents.

...Mom, Dad, I made a post on this online computer hardware forum that somebody could stay in our shed and somebody is on their way right now.....:bang:

5. sardine

sardine Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070
    ok sorry if this has been answered already. but..........

I'm shutting down 1 of my 3 pc's.(AMD dual core 3600+/8800gt)

This pc Q6600 at 3ghz has GPU folding only on a 280gtx (cpu folding I canceled as the gain in GPU is enough and the room is warm enough as it is :D )

Nvidia is finally (well next Tuesday) releasing proper physx support for Nvidia GPU's with a free game and some tech demos to show off the physx technology.

This means I can move the 8800GT out of the pc I am closing into my pc as a 2nd GPU for physx only. gpu1-280gtx graphics / gpu2-8800gt physx.

If I am to fold on both GPU's in this pc can I do it without having to connect a 2nd monitor to the 8800gt ?

can I have 2 icons on my taskbar independently being able to pause/resume etc each client.

I have found that when I start for example "Grid- racing driver" the game shows signs of stuttering and a drop in FPS when I don't pause the GPU folding before launching the game as if the folding gpu client is not going into the background as described.

thanks for your time.

6. MoosePower

MoosePower Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    At first you'll have to connect a second monitor to the gt, like Hilberts article said. This will be fixed in a future driver release. You can still have an icon for each gpu. The stuttering is caused because the gpu client is still working. When I play games I completely shut down f@h, this way there isn't any background f@h processes running.

7. sardine

sardine Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070
    ok.
    I kinda have the edge i think on the monitor deal, I have the Dell 30" 3008WFP with inputs off the wazoo!!, even being able to display 2 pc's split screen is cool.

so how do i install a 2nd client ?
    copy client folder to client2 , edit config machine id and point to another work folder ?
    and run it ??
    does the client automatically use the 2nd gpu or do i have to tell it to do so ? so as not to run 2 clients on 1 gpu?

8. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    Hi there,

I've got 2 x 9800gtx, I have disabled SLI and when I try to run FAH on second GPU it says that my gpu is not yet supported? Anyone got any ideas?

e2a: I'm in the Guru3D folding team now!

9. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Tried plugging in a second monitor to the other card?

10. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Also try this;

locate the shortcut to the 2nd gpu client and in the 'target' box use the forcegpu switch after the path, ie. "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu2\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 1 -forcegpu nvidia_g92

11. cockneysean

cockneysean Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX 295 XXX Edition
    Hey there!

I got it sorted, I'm now folding on both my gpu's for over 24 hours solid now, and im gonna start my smp client later.

Also, has anyone seen this: http://www.moneybee.net/

Looks VERY interesting!

12. fetabob

fetabob Active Member

GPU:
    waiting...
    not sure if forecasting the stockmarket has ever been possible, I'm sure many have tried.

anyway, I'm getting more ppd by limiting my smp to 70%, got a 9800gtx and a 8600gts, if cpu is running 70% then i'm hitting about 8200 ppd but when cpu is anything over that I drop below 8k. Cpu is on idle and GPU's are both set to core priority slightly higher, unless I'm getting false readings, I'm pretty impatient when it comes to waiting for the cpu to process the next % and show me a new total (fahmon)
    I see someone else found it didn't affect their gpu speeds, looks initially as if it does a bit on mine.

13. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Are you folding on xp or vista, since on XP the fahcore's are not optimized for use on the older OS. Thus suggesting it will run much slower and will have the larger overhead.

14. Ripper-3D

Ripper-3D New Member

GPU:
    saphire 4870
    to me it looks like a fortune teller, give them something and they will tell you a story. maybe they use your processing power and sell the calculation results.

15. fetabob

fetabob Active Member

GPU:
    waiting...
    I'm on Vista 32, have just woken up from leaving it overnight and fahmon total ppd is showing 8131 after setting cpu to 75%, (down from 80%). Last night it was 7999, I'm not fussed, just thought others may want to test out curbing the cpu to gain on the gpu and see if they get a little more, it's probably just me though. it looks from the maths as if sacrificing about 40 ppd from cpu (5%) has, in this case, boosted gpu by maybe 150 - 200 ppd (3 - 4%) :nerd:

Also, another point, if anyone is thinking about buying an 8 series to process PhysX and to fold with the 8800GT looks like a winner. I paid £41 for an 8600GTS which does the PhysX fine but if you spend £80 on a 8800GT you will be folding at an extra 4 or 5k ppd instead of 1.6k

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008

16. deurbel

deurbel Active Member

GPU:
    Trippl 8800-620-1000-1500
    Meh, i cant get it running on Vistax64 3 GPU's, i give up.
    I hope that the 180 release Geforcedrivers that supposed to enable multi GPU on SLI will be able to run 3 GPU's on FH.