18 hour MMORPG battle=people sick

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ST19AG_WGreymon, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Original link: http://videogames.yahoo.com/feature/new-game-enemy-takes-a-solid-day-to-defeat/1238418

New game enemy takes a solid day to defeat
    Players pass out, get sick during extreme battle.

By Ben Silverman

If it's good enough for Cartman, it's good enough for Square-Enix.

The developers of the online role-playing game Final Fantasy XI seemingly borrowed a page from the Emmy-winning South Park episode "Make Love, Not Warcraft" by updating the game with one of the longest - and most physically grueling - video game fights ever. Introduced in the game's latest downloadable update, the boss monster "Pandemonium Warden" remained perfectly fit after a group of high-level adventurers wailed away at it nonstop for over 18 hours straight.

Though the seemingly unbeatable boss will not prevent people from 'completing' the game -- persistent online games typically do not "end" like most single-player games -- it has sparked debate over what exactly the game's developers, Square-Enix, expect out of their devoted fan base. Message boards have lit up with disgruntled players calling out the company for failing to respect its very own in-game warning telling players they have "no desire to see your real life suffer as a consequence [of playing]. Don't forget your friends, your family, your school or your work."

Easy for them to say. While the beast continually healed, the gamers weren't so lucky.

"People were passing out and getting physically ill," leaders of the player guild said in a forum post. "We decided to end it before we risked turning into a horrible news story about how video games ruin people's lives."

Too late.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a fan of MMORPGs but this made me laugh.

2. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    I'm not a MMO fan either. Why in hell would anyone waste 18 hours of their lives to play a damn game? :3eyes: It's insane how many people were willing to try such a stupid update! What do these people get out this . . . a huge growth to their egoes? Do they say to themselves after beating it 'Wow, it took me eighteen hours, but I did it, I f**king did it.' :stewpid: People need to get a real social life!

And I couldn't help think of "South Park" while reading this.

3. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i liked that episode of SP. i wondered if there were many people that were exactly like that with someone telling everyone what to set thier character too n all...lol nerds are funny

4. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
    President: Fellow board members, we have a problem: somebody in the World of Warcraft is ignoring the World's rules ...and is going around killing innocent players..
    Member 1: Why kill innocent players? The game is about finishing quests.
    Member 2: We've got to delete him from the servers.
    President: We can't. Whoever this player is, he has played World of Warcraft so much, that he has reached a level we thought unreachable. He's actually able to kill our admins. And he grows stronger every day.
    Member 3: Jesus...
    Member 4: [rises from his chair] I've gotta get home! My kids are playing World of Warcraft right now!
    President: Jim, your kids' characters are already dead.
    Jim: No... [sinks back into his seat] No... [frustrated] They just started playing!
    Member 2: What kind of person would do this?
    President: [walks back to the end of the table, by the doors] Only one kind. Whoever this player is, he has played World of Warcraft nearly every hour of every day for the past year and a half. Gentlemen, we are dealing with someone here who... had absolutely no life.
    Member 3: How do you kill... that which has no life?

Lol

5. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Classic...lol...simply classic.

6. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    lol i remember that episode XD

7. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    u think they might of quit after 1-2hrs

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I love playing World Of Warcraft, Guild Wars, AOC, but if a fight would take more than 10 minutes to end I would just leave it. Life is too short to spend 18 hours straight fighting one boss!

thats a really bad move on the developers side. To willing include such a fight in the game, its quite funny how the devoted players kept on going for so long. Square-Enix obviously under estimated its loyal (or maybe stupid) fanbase.

9. Drizzt

Drizzt Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce 7800GT @ Stock OC
    They're complaining about 18hours? On one of the biggest grindfest MMOGs in existence? I mean how many hours did it take for their last lvl? Probably in the 50+ range. A mere 18 hours to kill an unique boss should be nothing for them.

10. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Its 18 hours non stop for 1 boss.

11. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    Im all for long and challenging boss fights but 18 hours is KINDA pushin it... :p

12. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu

When my WoW guild was first starting on Razorgore we wiped for 6 hours straight. I think I blew a hundred gold on repairs. Talk about whining afterwords.

When a raid guild invites you on a raid, they may say show up for a 8 hour raid on Saturday, but if it's the guilds first clear that could be entirely spent learning one fight. Fortunately it's a hundred times easier after the first kill or two and everyone knows their roles.

but yeah, even an hour is stretching it for a single fight. Unless you're trying to kite it, which isn't generally done with raid mobs that I'm aware of.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  13. DrSiN

DrSiN Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 Ti OC 1G
    That scenario just about described my experience with FF11. People say WoW is bad but FF11 is slow paced grind all the way.

14. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I was stuck in EVE-ONLINE 4 days. Coud not log in cause i woud have beed scanned and shot. I was with carrier that cost too much to loss.
    It was after battle we killd Titan in R-6 system.

Its other side of this have to play! x)

My Nidhoggur is my onlyone =) Here is a picture from net.

[​IMG]
    In eve online, if u loss something, u dont get it back.
    I dont wanna loss my carrier.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008