4870 X2 Owners Club

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Stukov, Aug 13, 2008.

1. x-speed69

x-speed69 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti Lightning
    bah it's expensive but much better choice than your own little sauna :)

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Very nice looking EK block John , i might go H2o on mine this time too. Seems like its the best way to cool the beast :)

3. psyxeon

psyxeon Guest

GPU:
    Saffi 6800xt
    Sorry -> I was talking about the nickel version of the water block. I try not t mix metals, but I,m new to water cooling. So I wont get any corrosion form nickel + copper. That´s a relive.
    Cheers

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  4. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    You're right in that, but that mostly applies to mixing aluminium with copper, which are two components watercooling equipment often is made of. Copper + nickel is fine, and so is copper + brass, which the channels inside most radiators are made of. Alu + copper is a big no-no, though.

5. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    Hey all - I think it would be an excellent idea if we could start a benchmarking thread dedicated to the 4870X2 cards *only*.
    If we could all get together in a single thread, and all run the same exact benchmark(s) - we'd all get a better feel of actual individual system performance rather than having scattered scores all over the place.

My suggestion is for everyone to run the same benchmark - but it really needs to be something that isn't AMD/ATi, Intel, nVidia biased...something that NO ONE could contest as not being fair...then we all run the same benchmark with identical settings. This is going to point out the differences between Intel and AMD on different processors and motherboards...good idea, or no?

I'm in as soon as I can get my card stuffed in my rig tomorrow evening...

Psychlone

EDIT: @Stukov: I've got updated info for the Owner's profile you're building (including a correction on my mobo's chipset) and I think you may should include what OS everyone is using as well.

CPU: Phenom 9850BE
    OC: 3.5GHz, 1.375V
    MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe
    CHIPSET: 790FX/SB600

And, on a side note, keep an eye on W1zzard over at techpowerup - he's usually the one that comes up with BIOS stuff, and has created GPUz (CPUz's graphics card cousin) explicitly for listing the GPUs spex and for dumping/uploading GPU BIOS to him...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  6. chief Dave

chief Dave Master Guru

GPU:
    4 x 290x
    Got 2 sapphire 4870x2 today. Drivers that came with it are fubar and CCC does not install. I grabbed 8.52 from msi and they installed like a champ, and benching now.

rig follows:
    Q9550 @ 3.9GHz H2O
    Rampage Formula
    X48
    4 x 1 8500 C5D dominators
    seasonic ZM 1200

Ran vantage with one (no crossfire) and broke P20000, 3dmark 06 looked same as 2 3870x2.

The msi drivers seems nice and I am running 06 now quad fire and hope to see at least 25k stock speeds. More to follow.
    Dave

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great going Dave :D

8. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I need to know what your old profile was so I can remove those stats.

Also, it would probably be best to only say what your OS is when doing a benchmark, because some people run multiple OS or switch and I can't keep up with all that. Most people should be using a 64bit OS with this card, unless they want less than 2GB of addressable memory.

9. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    What OS were you using so I can update your benchmarks.

10. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    If you get me your OS/Driver version + what clock your stuff was running, then give exact #'s for benchmark aand I can include it.

11. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    Going yo make the move back to the dark side card should arrive soon. 8800GTXs served me well for 2 years. I don't mind sticking with the setup i have, but the last straw was nvidia drivers crashing on me again the other day. I had to put up with it for too long i thought. Hopefully AMD ATI will be less of hassle.

12. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Nothing is perfect.

13. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    You can wait to update my profile (it was really only the 780FX chipset that needed to be changed to 790FX) - until I get my card and do some benching - I'll keep my modifications to your database as minimal as I can.

And, I agree that most people should be using 64bit OS and only give that info when benchmarking. You should standardize how the post should look to make your life easier though, something like the following:
    CPU:
    OC:
    MOTHERBOARD/CHIPSET:
    4870X2 OC: (?) or not?
    3DMark Vantage X:
    3DMark Vantage P:
    (or whatever benchies)

In my previous post, I mentioned that we should all use the same benchmark programs, limit them to maybe 3 and have everyone running the same exact settings, whatever they are (default, some specific resolution, whatever - as long as everyone runs them the same)
    In my opinion, and I'm sure that everyone in here will agree, there are benchmarking programs that are very biased to one side or the other, so it would be most beneficial to everyone if we could determine 2 or 3 benchmarks that aren't biased...something that everyone agrees on, something that everyone can download and run and not feel as though they've been cheated because the bench gives higher scores to a certain CPU manufacturer or a certain chipset manufacturer.

Also, as suggestion for you, inputing all the information for all of us Official Owners is going to get really tedious. If you set up a spreadsheet in Excel kind of like they do over at xtremesystems for their databases, it would be alot easier for you, and for the guests to read - it would contain all the relevant information that you need, it would just be in a very easy format to update as necessary.

Anyway, I hope this helps you out...if there's anything you need from me, let me know.

Psychlone

14. spigen

spigen Member

GPU:
    Visiontek HD4870X2
    Well I'm on the verge of building a new rig. Here is what I was thinking.

Intel 9550
    Asus Rampage x48
    hd 4870x2 (Thinking about waiting for the asus or visiontek)
    Choosing between these:
    OCZ reaper pc8500 4 gig set
    mushkin XP ASCENT pc8500 4 gig set
    Cosair or Ultra 850 to 1000 watt psu

Suggestions with the memory?
    I was thinking about waiting for the visiontek one to come out since they are the only ati company that offers a lifetime warranty.

15. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    This is how I was going to have it look.

Sapphire 4870 X2
    3DMark06: 18,989 Intel Duo @ 4GHz - GPU (750/900) 8.5 Catalyst - JaxMacFL
    Vantage: P12,256 Intel Duo @ 4GHz - GPU (750/900) 8.5 Catalyst - JaxMacFL

Game/Benchmark: FPS/Score Processor @ xGHz - GPU (xxx/xxx) x.x Catalyst, XP/Vista 64bit - Name

There should be plenty of room to have it all one one line and be easy to read. I will sort them by game/benchmark highest to lowest. I don't think it's really necessary to say everyone benchmark X thing, not everyone has every game. It's more, post up whatever you benchmark you want, see if you can get the best score. If we have a problem with validation you may have to post up a SS, but this isn't something thats really, professional. It's more like a hobby thing, like old guys talking about their bowling scores. I mean, the benchmarks I think are good to see improvements in drivers so that non-card owners can see how the X2 does.

We probably don't need to be too over reaching to the stuff we benchmark, and my friend and I will be putting up a hobby site that will include some benchmarks of our systems.

After I get my system I will be doing extensive tests on the X2. I will do varrying frequencies of the CPU (like 2.0-3.5/4ghz), varrying resolution (can't do 1920 until I get my HDMI cable, some how newegg screwed up and got a VGA cable ordered). I will also probably test some older games and quality settings of the varations of FSAA/Anio because you have temporal and non, edge detect, box, tent, etc.

I will post/link that info up, as long as Hilbert doesn't have a problem with it.

16. Chenumi

Chenumi Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070 FE
  17. Chenumi

Chenumi Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1070 FE
    Its here.......YAY :bounce: :) :banana:

18. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    DAMN THATS FAST!

I'll add you.

19. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    i installed the drivers with the sapphire card and im getting like artifacts in dark errors in crysis like on rock faces. Its like snow effect shining dots littered around anyone having this ??

20. C DuDe

C DuDe Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870x2
    In short....

Called my vendor asked them if it was possible to get a refund for my 2 HD 4870 CF. 4 weeks old...
    Great companie :thumbup:... they accepted the exchange to a HD 4870x2.:formal:

Going to extract the 2 tonight and (if I'm lucky) go to the store tomorrow before they close and go home with my brand new x2!!!!:banana:

If I can't make it before closing time I'll have it one on Monday.