everyone who ordered a 4870x2 post here.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by eduardmc, Aug 13, 2008.

1. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    lol well i am skint now until payday next month. Have to cook tea for the wife for the next 3 weeks though !!

2. psybersoma

psybersoma Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 OC 725/1450/1850
    ordered mine an hour ago.. time to try a go with ATI after being a Nvidia user for the
    past several years.

I've got a AMD FX-60 OCed to 2.9Ghz, 4GB DDR400, and (2) XFX 8800 GTX in SLI which is being cooled with a Koolance Exos2 water cooler for the CPU and XFX cards. It plays everything I throw at it quite nicely. I get damn close to 60 FPS in 1080P mode on my
    40" Samsung LCD. Crysis plays good at 1080P with everything set to high.

I've also got another AMD PC running a Phenom 9850 which is OCed to 2.8Ghz, 4GB of DDR2 1066, with a BFG 9800 GTX OCX OCed to 800Mhz. running in 1680x1050 mode and I get about 60 FPS on all the demanding games. Crysis runs great on it with all settings to high. It does drag when I get above 2x on AA. Don't really need AA in my humble opinion.. Still looks really nice on a 22" widescreen.

I'll be putting the 4870 X2 in the Phenom 9850 machine to see what it can really do on benchmarks. I want to see what this card does when it's married to a AMD Phenom 9850..If I don't like it, I'll return it..

Just wanted to be one of the firsts to use one of these 4870 X2....

3. Rubenov

Rubenov Member

GPU:
    2 x 9800 GTX in SLI
    That Phenom will bottleneck that card BIG TIME, and you will end up all mad thinking the card is not worth it.

4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Yep, even IF I were to OC my CPU to 4ghz, I do believe it'd still be a bottleneck for the X2.....hopefully, not THAT much of a bottleneck though.:3eyes:

5. Jonesboy21

Jonesboy21 New Member

GPU:
    Asus HD5970 2GB
    Update: ordered mine at 9:12 am 8/12, got home from work today (8/13) and was surprised to see a fedex tag on my front door. Drove up to the local office and picked it up. That's some service )

6. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
  7. psybersoma

psybersoma Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 OC 725/1450/1850
    WTF?? why would a Phenom 9850 bottleneck a 4870 X2???

Why would ATI and AMD come out with products that would counter react
    with each other??

What would I need?? a Intel 3.0Ghz Quad CPU??

8. JumperR

JumperR Master Guru

GPU:
    GtX 570 @ 900/1950
    Pretty sure AMD tested the 4870x2 on Phenom 9850 or w.e

, it wont bottleneck!!

phenom are good processor.

9. gosh

gosh Member

GPU:
    ATI
    All tests (they are hard to find) comparing amd with intel shows that amd performs better using fast video cards for demanding games in high res. Amd has better communications speed with external hardware, one reason why they are strong for the server market. Raising resolution for games will also increase memory use and that is a stronger area for amd compared to intel.

10. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Are you the gosh from Xtemesystem's forums?

11. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    ^ There's always gotta be someone that has something to say about AMD - used to be that there was a whole camp that had something to say about ATi too, and look now - alot of green out there is turning red ;)

In any case, I made the purchase for a 4870X2 the morning they went on sale - it will be here tomorrow...paired with my good overclocking Phenom 9850BE, we'll see just how crappy this system really is - I'm *REALLY* interested in just what kind of scores a system like mine will pull in comparison to the Intel systems that everyone's been bragging about for sooo long.

Psychlone

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  12. psybersoma

psybersoma Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 OC 725/1450/1850
    I'm curious how high you've overclocked you 9850BE?? I've managed to get it to about 2.9Ghz. Anything over that and it bluescreens on me with Vista x64.

I've heard that some have gotten up to 3.2Ghz. Not sure what kind of MoBo they are using though...

13. IM0001

IM0001 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    I just ordered my Visiontek X2 off Best Buy. Today its on sale $80 off. Final price was $510.05. Can't beat that since yesterday they were going to charge $598 after tax and shipping lol. Luckily it would not let me order it yesterday.

The one thing that worries me is its a pre-order.. So when will it really show up I dono.

As soon as I get it ill post pics, benchies, etc. I would like to see how it fairs to the AMD proc. I know thoes new AMD quads are nice and relatively cheep but all reviews I have seen show it to be a smidge slower than even the older Q6600.

Either way this GPU will bottleneck any CPU (Especially duel cores. Look at Crysis reviews from sites that use a Duel core vs Quad core). But in the end I just can't wait to be able to play any game for the next year or so maxed out at my native res. A large step up from my old P4 3.0 @ 3.3 and a 7800GS.. Its worked great all these years but hopefully I can find someone that wants it as a reliable WoW or business machine. :)

14. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=391344

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3.5GHz @ 1.375V and it's going to go higher with the new M3A79-T motherboard when it comes out... :cool:

I actually have 4 Phenom 9850BE's and this one is by far the best one. I have a Phenom overclocking guide at the top of the AMD forum here at Guru3D - you should check it out...could help you figure out how to get more!

On a side note with the Phenoms, since I've had the opportunity to play with 4 of them, the common thing I've found for a good overclocking one is that it uses LESS than stock voltage (1.3V) for stock speeds - the current one (in my spex) is Orthos StressPrime blend priority10 stable for 24 hours at 1.074V...the next best, also a 0816 week, is Orthos 24 hour stable at 1.172V. So, the common denominator between good overclocking Phenoms is how well they handle LOW voltage at the stock speeds...well, you can see what a good low-voltage one is capable of from the x-86 validation!

Back on topic, my card is almost here, by the tracking #, it's in my town waiting to be put on a truck, but it won't happen till tomorrow - can you say ANXIETY!?!! ;)

Psychlone

EDIT: @IM0001: Although you're seeing benchmarks with the Phenoms at a bit lower scores than the Intel parts, keep in mind that you're looking at BENCHMARKS and not real-world performance. I don't care how fast you can crank out SuperPi cause there's really nothing in the real world that will operate on the same basis, and for some of the other benchmarks, let's just say that some of them are in Intel and nVidia's pockets...if you catch my drift.

What we should do when we all get our 4870X2 cards, is create a benchmark thread in the Benchmarking section here, but everyone run the same exact bench - something that's not ATi or nVidia or Intel or AMD affiliated or biased...and if everyone is running the same exact settings, it would be an EXCELLENT indicator of what actual performance differences are. You in?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  15. psybersoma

psybersoma Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 OC 725/1450/1850
    Then my problem is my ASUS M3N78-EMH HDMI board is not good enough to push the 9850BE past 2.9Ghz.. I've got the latest BIOS 412 for it and there just seems to not be alot of OC tweaking in it. CPU Vcore is adjustable from 1.20v to 1.25v only. Unless that's all I'm suppose to see??

16. alcest

alcest Active Member

GPU:
    MSI R9 280X
    hey guys for what do you need such a beast? ;)

ok i will hint you, ati is trying do to raytracing on these ones,
    if you saw new ruby tech demo, than (i read it somewhere) thats the graphics ati could do until the end of year, at least they hope they will do it until the end of this year, and i wish them luck, because i will also order one if they manage to do it,
    i hope next year will be GREAT for AMD/ATI.

17. IM0001

IM0001 Guest

GPU:
    PNY 780 GTX
    I'm In for the benchmark battle ;)

When I say anything Benchmark I only talk about real world benches like game test and whatnot. 3dMark is great too see a number but I have known a long time that anything past 3DMark20001 (RIP MadOnion) has been nothing related too real world gaming (3DMark01 was a direct connection the Max Payne at the time)

Either way the number is a number when overall generic numbers must be used so I say we use benchmark from all kinda games that I have access too (Crysis, UT3, HL2, etc as well as 3DMark01-Vantage if you guys want) but you cant post just 1 thats faster than everyone else, we need numbers from multiple to see an overall picture of course.

I myself do like the Crysis benchmark since I do see a large difference in performance when going from Dual cores to Quad cores. The score jumps around 20fps from what ive seen in the test ive read. (give or take of course)

Either way its nice to live in the days of quad cores and such. I do kinda wish I could have waited till the new next chip from Intel comes out with Hyperthreading and its own onboard memory controler (cant brag about amd only having that now ;P) but eh.. I can always sell my proc,mb,and ram down the line once those establish themselves a bit.

Atm I neeeeeed to get out of my P4 3.0 478 AGP 7800GS setup lol. Its pure torture having to build comps for clients with hardware I could afford for the longest time... Now my time has finally come WOOHOO!