Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

Hmmmmm, this could be a hardware issue? Who'da thunk it?

2. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    Quite rarely it's hardware, most of the time it's very much driver/vista based.

3. gpsk336

gpsk336 New Member

GPU:
    nvidia 8800gt
    since it is a driver/vista based problem, and nvidia and microsoft are not really doing anything to help, does it make sense for me to just switch my OS to XP or get an ATI graphic card to put an end to the problem?

kindly advise.

thanks and regards.

4. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

What makes your computer different from the vast majority of people NOT having this problem? Because I'm using the same GPUs and the same software as you with NO trouble whatsoever.

5. linyanti

linyanti Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1080 GTX Founders C
    did you try the standard windows vga driver?

There are so many possible issues with this problem. Quite similar to the problem if a car will not start. Out of gasoline, dead battery, someone stole the engine?

I have found that software from nvidia can sometimes cause problems.

Does the computer bsod if all of the nvidia software is uninstalled, then all nvidia folders removed in safe mode, then restarting and letting windows install the software it wants to install?

6. Shleed

Shleed Member

GPU:
    eVGA 9800GTX SC 512mb
    I found out those errors were caused by my faulty RAM.

Replaced them weeks ago and I've yet to see this problem again, all my games run without any hitches now.

7. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    If I knew the answer to that, I wouldn't be in this thread so often. If you're trying to start an argument, look elsewhere. I'm very happy you're having NO trouble. Although you're claim to be running the same software is a little far fetched. Do you happen to run Vista HP x64 + FW 169.44 + no AV?

This problem has no rhyme or reason. Most of the time it seems to be software based. You can look all over the net and see people tear their machines to pieces and still have the issue. Sorry if I refuse to believe that's the solution. Now I will be ordering my other 4GB of RAM here shortly and while I'm at it, I'll use just the new 4GB to see if maybe that is indeed the issue. Maybe I'll get lucky and be one of the guys with a hardware fault. That would be great.

On another note, the hotfix solved ... nothing, the error was back the same as usual. However, it resolved itself in about 2 seconds. Just a screen flicker really (CoD4). After the flicker, I played on fine. CoD4's recovery from the error has always been pretty good, but this was most impressive.

Oh and whoever asked about switching to XP or ATi, I wouldn't do either as both have an issue similar. I was myself under the impression that XP didn't have an error like this, but it does. However, it is significantly more rare (though just as debilitating). ATi, on the other hand, actually suffers from the exact same error in Vista as nVidia does, though again less frequently than the more common Vista + nVidia pairing. If you are going to try something, I suggest a cheap hard drive and a copy of XP. That way you don't have to reformat, just to see the same damn error.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  8. GammaLord

GammaLord Active Member

GPU:
    2g gtx 760 gigabyte oc
    i was having a similar problem awhile back tried a few so called fixes and ended up makin the computer unable to recognise the gfx card so endded up having to reinstall windows vista .

since that havent the problem at all but still get the occasional freeze in games (a black screen then it comes back) if u go to desktop ull see it says "driver stopped responding but has recovered" ive found it usually shows that when ive overclocked the gfx card to far ..Turning the overclock down will get rid of it.

9. Cigarettes

Cigarettes New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GTX ACS3 768mb
    I have been bluescreening during any modern game I attempt to play. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes, sometimes an hour. I rarely get the "...and has recovered" error. It is always the nvlddmkm.sys blue screen. Vista Ultimate 64 bit (also tried using 32 bit, same thing)

The only thing to give me more play time so far, has been to underclock my card to gts levels....I have tried every single driver I have come across, reformatted countless times, done every memory test, HD test, CPU test, known to man, nothing.

This is absolutely ridiculous, and would love to see a stop to it. I don't even know what to do, other than to save up and by a gtx 280, or whatever comes out after that and hope for the best...

I basically cannot play any games because of this problem. Unfortunately.

10. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

Oh ok, so you'd like a solution, so long as it conforms to this "hunch" that it's software related. It started as advice to test the GPUs themselves, but you and most others in this thread decided to crap all over the suggestion. Yes this problem has many causes, but the vast majority of the time it is caused by GPU instability. How about instead of taking "offense" to an offered solution you actually try to troubleshoot it?

11. Lightning_Rider

Lightning_Rider New Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SC Edition
    Don't count on the GTX 280 solving your problems. I just got one and I've had nothing but troubles. I'm not sure if it's a driver problem or faulty hardware and I don't want to RMA it for nothing.

12. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    Well aren't you the genius of the day. Has it occurred to you that I've already done the vast majority of the troubleshooting flows? I have multiple cards, I have tried a lot of different fixes. If you had actually offered something new to try, I would have tried it. But you are advising me to troubleshoot the first thing that I blamed for the issue and subsequently worked with. Give me break. Stop flaming this thread or gtfo. You aren't of much help to anyone here.

13. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

Oh, so you RMA'd the card like I said? Look at you, saying that I'm "flaming" the thread because I'm pointing out the fact that you're not willing to troubleshoot the issue.

14. -ToasT-

-ToasT- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670
    You actually never suggested an RMA to me. Just an FYI. Regardless, RMA'ing isn't much of an option. The cards are over a year old. Besides that, I have run XP and Vista on this particular machine, XP with the same SLi setup ran flawlessly. Vista does not.

I'm not sure what you're out to prove...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  15. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=2792804&postcount=273
    This post ALSO explained the discrepancy with XP.

16. Nazar78

Nazar78 Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY88GT512 850/2000/2280
    Urgh~! I thought my card has gone nuts till I saw this. On 177.35, Crysis seems ok, but C&C3 just doesn't get blessing from Vista...

17. Baldassano

Baldassano Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    after thinking this had been solved with the 177.79's on my 8800 ultras... last night it reared its ugly head during a TF2 game..

*sigh*..

18. Solid Snake

Solid Snake Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 480 SLI
    Same here, I don't play TF2 but this happens to me a lot on AoC and Tabula Rasa trial

19. LEXX911

LEXX911 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    I'm wondering if only people who are getting these error are people who installed Vista almost a year ago?

20. ofaviator1

ofaviator1 New Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTX 768
    I only starting seeing this BSOD recently when i decided to go to 4gigs of ram with Vista64 Ultimate. Actually wanted to put in 8gigs but i had to play bios update without a floppy game and to go through create a bootable flash drive then go from there, but anyway, I never saw a blue screen with this install. Took 4gigs back to fry's.. When i started to see these failures was soon as I got the memory installed, like vista doesn't want to share nicely. SP1 after having a crash recently I decided to open a ticket with MS they said the drivers aren't playing nice with Vista from Nvidia, Inherit incompatiblity still! No !#*$#

Actually considering doing a clean install soon just to get bits of **** out of the system.

Q6600 w/zalman 9700 fan/sink
    4 gigs TWINx PC6400
    2 x 160 gig sata's (from older machine need to get sata/3's)
    8800GTX OC 768 (610/2000) (MSI brand).
    Vista 64 Ultimate