AMD ATI Catalyst driver 8.7 XP/Vista download | discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by enessel, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Lightning_Rider

Lightning_Rider New Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SC Edition
    Been having disappointing results with this driver too. Call of Duty 4 hangs the system after about 10-20 minutes of gameplay. No BSOD or anything, sometimes I get the "Driver has crashed and recovered message." but usually I just get a black screen with the music from the game looping. It got so bad I had to uninstall the driver and reinstall it. That fixed it for one night. Then the next night it starts happening again.

Ugh... So annoying. I'm starting to miss nVidia... I never had this problem with their drivers. ATi better have an answer for this soon or I might trade in my HD4870 and get a GTX260 or GTX280. That's what I should have done all along probably...

2. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    havin no trouble here with them; have tried them for ~1 week in 2008 server enterprise x64 and work w/o issue in quake wars, crysis, gears of war, assassin's; performance on par with 8.6 hotfix though.
    still not getting any hardware dxva acceleration in vista-like x64 oses.

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well spoke to soon, started getting that Catalyst control Host Application error on startup now, says it needs to close, but the funny thing is, my CCC and everything still works fine, so its not really bothering me, but i may do a reinstall of windows soon though, as i had a Nvidia card in before and so i just done an uninstall of those drivers and a driver sweep. :roll:

4. spanket

spanket Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770

u sound like me. my previous rock solid pc started crashing randomly exactly like urs (freeze & sound loop then black screen) after installing 4850 so i immediately thought ati drivers must suck ass i shouldve waited. but after lots of trying it turned out it was my northbridge that was now unstable probably the extra heat in my case or maybe jsut the extra stress on mobo with the card. i put a fan on my NB and i havent had a crash for over a week now :)

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well that was odd, i turned on today, got no host error, but all me settings in the CCC had dissapeared, i only had the display tab lol, no other settings at all, no 3D settings/color, nowt, so restarted, again didn't get the host app error, and this time all me settings were there. :D

6. Beany

Beany New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512MB
    Hi guys, just joined :)

Dont know if it's already been said, this threads quite long... but does anyone have problems with the desktop crashing with the 8.7 drivers on Vista 64-Bit with the 4870?

Sometimes mine will randomly crash and i'll get the "display driver stopped responding" message.

Really annoying me... also the CCC will not always save some settings i make. When i restart they are back to default.

Been using NV cards past couple of years and was hoping ATI drivers were finally on par... guess not!

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    HAve you tried installing ATT and not using CCC? Is your card overclocked?

8. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    5 days of uptime in my 2008 server x64 enterprise, in the meanwhile playing quake wars, quake 4, assassin's creed, crysis, running vmware, visual studio, encoding with x264, playing back with powerdvd and media player classic home cinema, foobar2000 and wmp, with ffdshow x86 and ffdshow x86-x64.

everything on top a format + install.

will only change these drivers if there's major reason to even reboot the computer, except for occasional windows update.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  9. Beany

Beany New Member

GPU:
    ATI 4870 512MB
    Stupid question... whats ATT?

My card is OC'ed, but at stock it makes no difference. Trying the 8.7 BETA's now, see how this goes...

10. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    ati tray tools, a project hosted by guru3d, replacing the standard ati interface with something more flexible

11. ehsan gamer

ehsan gamer New Member

GPU:
    ATI Club 4850
    I still got problem with Crysis even with 8.7 it crashes after 20 minuet !!!

12. casebuyer

casebuyer Active Member

GPU:
    HIS 3870 IceQ 3 DDR4 512
    radeon drivers working in safe mod yet constantly giving black screen in default xp 32 environment

13. ReDi

ReDi Guest

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 CF
    Are you sure it isn't a temperature problem?

14. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    This is overheating I think, as I got the same problem when I added my second card and overclocked, but it was on the default HSF. Clocking to stock clocks fixed this issue mostly. Make sure you have good air flow in your case, since this is where the card gets it's fresh air from.

This is because safe mode uses a generic VGA driver which is compatible with all cards, but only provides basic functionality. This is one of the benefits of running safe mode as it doesn't load any vendor specific drivers which allows you to troubleshoot bad drivers from a safe environment.

15. ehsan gamer

ehsan gamer New Member

GPU:
    ATI Club 4850
    no it's not because of heat after I set the fan speed to 60% the temp is 70 in load and 52 in Idle !

but again I have the problem and I didn't over clocked my card

16. sinister_steve

sinister_steve Active Member

GPU:
    2X ASUS 4850
    hey with the crashing ..are you running CF ? for I have the 4850,s in cf windowsxp32 and with these drivers I get the same thing ..but one thing that fixed the problem is to dissable cf and then enable it again whenever game crashes and then it wont keep crashing in games..but You do have to do this everytime you restart pc when it crashes in game...Steve

17. ehsan gamer

ehsan gamer New Member

GPU:
    ATI Club 4850
    no . no CF and i'm running it at Vista 32 bit .

PLZ HELP !

18. ultimate11

ultimate11 Member

GPU:
    HIS 4870
  19. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    The Tweak force driver 8.7 is better and more stable then the ATI/AMD one. Try that one :)

20. sinister_steve

sinister_steve Active Member

GPU:
    2X ASUS 4850
    Ok found them...are the Tweak force driver 8.7 better than the official amd ati ones ?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008