What were they like?

Discussion in 'Videocards - 3dfx' started by Nagasaki, Jul 6, 2008.

1. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Creative Blaster series, they were up untill Gefore 5 series (FX)

2. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    I cant beleive no one remembers this....

Hey guys thought I'd jump on the nostalgia bandwagon!

I'm surprised tho! No one who owned or discussed a Banshee here mentions this:

EVERY blasted game released slightly before or slightly after needed a frickin' patch SPECIFICALLY to address that card!

I can remember running triple time home from the mall with my 3DBlaster Banshee and slapping it in only to scream "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" when nfs 3 wouldnt fire up or Mech3.

I had that card in my AMD k6-2 333.... that prolly was also part of the problem. That was the 1st and last AMD system I ever owned.

All in all tho.... breakthru card... so I kinda...KINDA understood the issues. I was an impatient lad of 15-16 tho at the time i think

Zyro

3. Esskie

Esskie Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTS540
    seems like nothins changed then Zyrocenus!?!, in regard to drivers not being ready for release etc

never had a Banshee but what I would have to call my very first 3D card, which only supported D3D was the Creative Graphics Blaster 4Mb

I remember getting a MS Direct3D game with it (or it could have been a CD with MS demos on it)

it was that card that came out when the Voodoo2 went in, I noticed a difference there but more in terms of speed and although the graphics were better with the V2, the initial awe at this 3D world I was free to roam in was past

that first very visually obvious improvement in my games seemed amazing and yes, even made the old Cyrix PR-200 look damn decent lol

it's that level of improvement, replacing a component to see that much of a difference I personally haven't had for sooo long
    okay, going from 2Ghz single-core to 3.2Ghz dual-core (AMD64 3200+ to X2 6400+) did make a noticeable difference or replacing a GF6600 with a GF8800 makes a hell of a difference but overall you are going to know pretty much what to expect?

I'm rambling but I'm sure you know what I mean

4. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    I had a cyrix 6x86 M233+

I went from an Ati Rage 2 meg to an Ati RageII 4meg that I "swapped" out at school.... its been over 10 years they cant bust me now can they? lol I went from that to a GIGANTIC Cirrus Logic -8meg i think?- card that ran the length of my moms old AEG Olympia desktop case. That case had more steel in it than most of todays cars! The banshee was a HUGE improvement over any of those cards and aside from having to download 4 meg patches -GASP it was @ 14.4 speeds so it was HUGE- to get anything I wanted to play working , the card was earthshattering in terms of IQ and performance. It had 16megs on it and could 3d accelerate without a 2nd card...left everything i had before that in the dust....thats when I started living 24\7 as far onto the cutting edge as possible...

Thats how I found cyrix.... stupid M233+.....

My cutting edge attitude cost me a bit with a sobering experiance from cyrix... it was labeled 6x86 on the chip and as far as my knowledge at the time told me that was next gen! wrong wrong wrong.... lol it was a glitchy lil wanna be that had terrible heat issues! It was the strangest thing I ever saw a cpu do... it never outright froze or crashed...which i guess was good. However, it would hang and wait for about 30-60 seconds sometimes -cooling down!? :3eyes:- and then resume. It was hilarious witnessing this phenomenon while running a windows defrag in win 95B. It'd do a couple lines in defrag and then wait....then resume....then wait.... never saw ANYTHING quite like that before or since.

I owned that cpu \ board for 3 days before throwing it back thru the door....the return was like pulling teeth! but thats a diff story...good thing the guy that sold it to me proved my point for me. heh

Zyro

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008

5. Nucleardesire

Nucleardesire Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 4850
    Here's a few blasts from the past. A Rendition Verite V2200, an Ali Magic 8 Meg(I think) and an Ati Mach 32 1 MB EISA. I also have a Diamond Viper 2 kicking around somewhere, but no pic. Sorry about the pic quality, my bad. A lot of hours of gaming on these cards. Lots of Liesure Suit Larry, Space Quest, and Police Quest on that Mach 32........:p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the soundcard to rule them all......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008

6. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    C'mon guys, lets put this thread back on track.
    3dfx Voodoo!!! 3dfx forum. How the 3dfx cards were like...

7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  8. Nucleardesire

Nucleardesire Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 4850
    Indeed, I was just posting a couple of cards that were around in that era, with a couple that are just cool.

Last Voodoo card I seen still in the box was a 5500 and I wish I had bought it. It was a couple of years after they went under. Amzing how things go full circle and both major card manufacturers are reviving what 3Dfx had started.

Anyone have a 5500, I'd like to see a pic of one!

9. Esskie

Esskie Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTS540
    Not me :(
    I jumped ship after the V3-3500 for my first NVidia card, I'm sure it was the Leadtek GF3 500-TDH or WinFast Titanium 500-TDH whatever name you knew it by

I've been hunting around for my Voodoo2 as if we're going to have pics then there should be at least one of the 12Mb V2!
    I've moved house twice since buying it so it could be anywhere :infinity:

btw Forsaken is a game I remember playing with a 3Dfx card that imho was very cool in terms of graphics?
    not in any amazing new technology way etc but just in the same way my reference to MotorHead was when played using the 3Dfx Glide drivers

oh what could have been........

if I can find my V2 I'm gonna put it into my P2-350 system for a giggle I think?,
    there's only 256Mb of RAM in it but I'm sure I have maybe another couple of 128Mb stiks I might be able to rob for the cause
    Win98SE as XP will crawl with that little RAM, maybe with a bit hunting around to to get half the mobo drivers etc now but.........

10. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    *sigh* I still regret the day i found a single Voodoo 5 5500 in a store and not getting it...
    just minutes ago i got a new burner and a Voodoo 3 3000 and didn't have enough money.
    I was just standing infront of the store's display looking at the V5...

11. Esskie

Esskie Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTS540
    did you not see the 5500 until after you'd bought the burner & Voodoo3 or did you go intending to buy the burner & V3?

what I'm getting at is, I'm sure they would've taken the V3 back if you were taking a V5 in it's place?

if it was a case of not having enough cash on you, I constantly find myself in that bloody position mate, in a shop with lots of the latest lovely, expensive hardware that I can't afford :uhoh:

12. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    I love my Voodoo2 12MB. Shame my another 1 is broken somehow so no SLI =(

13. Esskie

Esskie Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTS540
    What make is yours Mannerheim?, mine is the Diamond Monster 12Mb

have you checked the board for any capacitors that may have got knocked off or even a dry solder joint?
    I was unfortunate enough to bugger my GF4 while messing about with drives, I knocked a capacitor off but was able to replace it as I'd kept the original (phew)

What about that SLI connector that came with the Voodoo2 huh, man that's one thing I'm glad they've made smaller & less obtrusive!

14. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    card seems totally fine from outside. Checked it many times.
    Both are 12MB diamond monster 3D II

1 chance that i cant get em work together might be own made SLI cable.. Piece of art.
    Those are too hard to get =/

But most likely its not. Tested it alone few times and just dont work.
    SLI cable shoud work cause i got SLI "enabled" in windows

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  15. Esskie

Esskie Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTS540
    both have the same Diamond Monster Voodoo 2 cards :)

Don't understand what you mean about the SLI connector lead?, do you mean you don't have one so would need to make one to get SLI yes?

they are very hard to get hold of nowadays, ebay would be my first port of call but even then, I can't remember the last Voodoo 2 I saw on ebay??

16. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    nooo..

Its possible to make own SLI cable from OLD diskette cable and i made 1. It shoud be working cause i got SLI enabled in windows. Games crashed when SLi was ON.

Also "damaged" card didnt worked alone.

edit..

Just tried to get sli work and nothing =(

Atleast 1 voodoo2 is faster than integrated Matrox G200 8MB AGP that has own memory onboard.

P3 500 Voodoo2 = 3dmark99 3000+ points 800x600
    P3 500 G200 = 3dmark99 1900p 800x600

Soon 3dmark2000

P3 500 & voodoo2 = 2100p 3dmark2000
    P3 500 & G200 = 1100p 3dmark2000

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  17. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT

18. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    You can make a voodoo2 SLi cable from an old floppy cable. You have to twist the 6 center wires through 180 degrees though. Useful if you wish to use non-adjacent pci slots and need a longer than standard cable to do so.

Likewise you can use a vga-extension cable as the pass-through. It's a bit long for the job and the shielded types work best... but it works if you can't source the originals.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  19. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    NO. U need to twist 4 middle cable 180 degrees.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  20. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    [​IMG]

Aye, that's it! Blimey it was a few years ago...

21. fasteddy

fasteddy Guest

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dug out all of my old voodoo2 images.... may help someone resurrect an old dusty card!

I see good old Falconfly's site is still running for 3dfx stuff too! :)

http://www.falconfly.de/

22. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)