Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Hmmm, now im a bit depressed. Yesterday I got a TDR with even the 169.44, was playing GRID when it happened. 169.44 worked beautifully until yesterday. Oh well....

2. Nays

Nays Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GTS 512mb
    I get this error a lot with my 8800GTS 512mb. But what works for me is to disable any program that has pop-ups in the background while you're in a game. For Example I always sign out of MSN messenger before I enter a game. This has seemed to stop the crashes for me.

3. awins1

awins1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 Ultra
    I kept getting CTD while playing GTR2 on 177.79. Switched to 177.66 and played for 2hrs without a hickup. This is on XFX 8800GTS 512mb card, factory overclocked.

4. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Im so tired of this whole ordeal so I went back to XP on my HTPC, as you guessed it, ROCK SOLID STABLE. But its so strange, I have another system that has 2 HD4850´s in Crossfire with Vista x64 and that system has ZER0 issues with TDR´s?? I dont understand why because both systems actually are pretty similar. And it cant be my hardware on the HTPC, because it works so great on XP?? What is it with this system and Vista that doesnt want to work?? Maybe its my bios is too immature? Its the P5Q-E (p45), maybe its the new chipset from Intel?? Or the new Soutbridge ICH10R??? I have seen many with P45 that also have this issue?? Or maybe PCI-E 2.0??? I almost feel sorry for MS and ATI/NV, it must be impossible to go through all those different possibilities for this problem??

5. Zloth

Zloth Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Nvidia GTX 780
    Has anyone tried out this Microsoft hotfix? The fact that a lot of folks can make this crash vanish by underclocking the card makes me think this timing fix might just help out. I installed it last night but haven't had time to test it out real well.

Beware, it's a largely untested Hotfix.

6. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Yeah I tested that hotfix, does nothing for me and many others im afraid.. Its a shame, because Im 99.9% sure this is something MS needs to fix in Vista.

7. Jammed_Death

Jammed_Death Guest

GPU:
    Gtx560 TI Hawk
    i solved changin the vga cooler...put a hurricane hc92 from zerotherm...get temps 20° lower and error vanished...tried with all the 177.xx series and no problem so far...

8. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

That's dangerous talk; the people here don't want to hear things like this error being caused by heat. Or the fact that Vista has a safeguard to halt a driver in case of overheating, with different drivers having different sensitivity to heat. That would be too simple of a solution, so this must be microsoft/nvidia/KFC's fault.

9. Greggy

Greggy Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680 2GB
    I've said this before, but anyone getting this issue just needs to back of the core and/or shader clocks a slight amount (maybe 5%) and 99% of the time the problem will be gone.

I run my SLI'd 8800GTX's at 500MHz core clock & 1300MHz shader clock and it's 100% stable. At stock 575/1350 I get the driver stopped responding error.

I don't even notice the tiny drop in performance.

I do notice it is 100% stable though!

Regards,

Greggy

10. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    That is total BS! I think its the other way around, most ppl think its heat first and then start blaiming MS/ATI. I have this issue, my card´s, all three of them have aftermarket coolers that keep em cool. None of them is overheating, max temps I ever seen on them is 60c, ok 65c this summer, but its really hot here(35c) so that is to be expected. Im pretty sure this issues isnt caused by one singel problem (heat/drivers/OS/whatever), but instead happens when many small issues work together to make it a big issue. This is why so many ppl have temporary fixes that work for some and dont work for most ppl. So this will take a long time before there is ONE ultimate fix for everyone.

11. Jammed_Death

Jammed_Death Guest

GPU:
    Gtx560 TI Hawk
    agreed

even power supply is one of the possible problem...but in facts, i changed the vga cooler and the problem is vanished...before that i've tried every driver beta, i have changed psu, mb, ram...

12. Zloth

Zloth Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Nvidia GTX 780
    Heat would make sense. Underclocking also takes the heat down. If that is the problem, though, I really wish Vista would SAY that it stopped them because the card is getting too hot. Maybe it does, somewhere deep in the event log?

I'm also quite sure this is more than one problem. It's what Vista does instead of giving you a blue screen of death pointing to the drivers, so assuming this has one cause is like assuming there's only one way to get a BSoD that points to video drivers.

13. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

Hardware instability in general, you must have gotten an unlucky card from the batch. Where you would normally see "snow," "artifacts," or "crashing" in XP you will now get a driver restart to ensure system stability. When these GPUs are made they are created under a rounded lens, those chips closer to the center of the lens are generally of higher quality. Your card is not capable of running with the stock voltage, clocks, or other stats and I would suggest an RMA to resolve the issue. I'm not saying it's "your fault," but please try to look for solutions outside of software patches.

14. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    lol of course thousand of card from 7 series over 88 gtx ultra over 9800 gx2 and 260 280 have all the same defect rofl

cant u figure out that this isnt possible by yourself? when it were only 1 serie ok maybe bu this affects all series and so IT IS NOT A GPU DEFECT

next point y its not a gpu defect is that the most ppl dont have the bug from beginning of buying and implementing it in the system it came for me 1.5 years after buying 1.5 years all was ok no problems so it cant be that its cause u have a chip from the ouside of a waver
    ok now i think u will go the overheat way my 88 ultra has 50 degrees its water cooled;) so no its not an overheating

i say its an incompatibility for me it seems its an incompatibility to x48 on my old mobo wit 975x chipset all was fine but i dont have it atm its my fathers now and i cant test it easyly cause of 50 km distance and no car ^^

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  15. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

It worked for me, my BSOD is 100% gone ( so far ) doing benches with World In Conflict at maxed settings 1680x1050 and not one single crash yet, and my average fps is higher then pre the hotfix, more stable and my max fps in benches does not go down anymore each run ( heat gimping the electornics I guess? ).

My CPU works diffrently in games aswell, not toddling up and down anymore ( yet nothing but the hotfix has changed ). Example is WiC where it now is glued to 75-76% cpu usage while pre hotfix it went up and down in spikes depending on how far into the bench you where.
    Love this fix, had bsod problems more or less in all games since 07, now its finally looking like they have a solution.

16. Kill4L

Kill4L Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Laptop
    hi can any one give me the link for the Hotfix for Vista 64-SP1 ? plz
    because there is only x86 platform
    thanks in advance

17. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    http://thehotfixshare.net/board/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=8295

You need to log in, but its free membership so that shouldnt be a issue.

I have a question for all of you who have this issue, could you please tell me what "Codec Packs" you are using?? I was thinking, maybe it could be something all of us are using but not relating to this issue?? Im using Vista Codec Pack, please list what you are using and we´ll see if there are any similarities??
    Thx.

Edit: One more thing, what program do you use to defrag youre harddrives?? Maybe if we use the same, it could be that that program somehow destroys the important files that make this happen or whatever? Just trying to find something that we all have in common?! Oh btw, im using O&O Defrag 10 Pro Edition.

18. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

You just made an argument SUPPORTING my theory. The fact that it is GPU-independent and happens later in the card's life SUPPORTS the fact that there is hardware instability. Your post is very difficult to read; at least put some effort into your typing if you want to be taken seriously.

19. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    One more thing, what Anti-Virus are you guys using?? Im using Kaspersky, it could be maybe that the antivirus slows down the info between driver and hardware?? I dont know, just getting desperate for some clue to this damn thing??

20. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Well I'm not sure I agree with this theory.

I got my 8800 GTX in september of 07, I had a Gigabyte p35 DQ6 mobo back then and it was all fine gaming wise for maybe 1 month, then the main game I played ( World in Conflict ) got a bunch of new patches, then I started to get BSOD everyday, several times.

- At that time DX10 was brand new, and vista had no SP1.

- I had the same random BSOD during dx10 play for over 4-5 months trying all new drivers I could get my hands on, finally 169.44 came and my BSOD went away to 97%, happend occasionally when I had alot of applications running simultanously.

In March, I changed to an Nvidia 750i mobo, got a second 8800 GTX. Now I had problems again when in SLI but nothing when using single GPU. Was like the problem had dissapeared 100% when only using one card. So I thought it was my OCing, my memory timings, even suspected my PSU, wich isn't officially rated to cope with 2x 8800 GTXs and a 35% OCing. Inofficially it should well cope with it since it has 50 amps over the rails and can put out over 840 watts without failure or overly high temperatures.

So for me it was just a matter of plowing through as many drivers as I could, to try and make SLI stable with World in Conflict and Age of Conan, even BSODed with older games that don't even strain the comp.

Now with a 3 mb large file the problem is gone and I got better 3d performance without changing anything.

So really I got no clue whos fault it is since the problem is so fluent but still so many people have it. I think it is a software glitch, but I got no idea if it is intel related, chipset related or driver related. Probably it is abit of everything cuppled with a Vista that sometimes just doesn't work that well.

Bascially the manufactors need to communicate better with eachother if they want the PC to survive gamingwise else the consoles wich are fairly free from incompatability issues will rape this business.