2 4870X2's Power Requirement

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Azx619, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Azx619

Azx619 New Member

GPU:
    Ati X1250
    What Is 2 4870X2's Power Requirement.

Is Enermax Galaxy 850 Watts Enough For Two Of Them. I'm Asking You This Cause I Bought The Galaxy In March Then Heard The Rumours Of New Graphics Cards From ATI, Now I Think I'm Going To Regret Getting The 850 Watts One I Think. Also With The Power Supply I Got Antec Nine Hundred,So Will The Cards Fit In It.

By The Way,This Is Going To Be My First Build.

Thx In Advance And Sorry If Its In The Wrong Section.

2. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    Well it's difficult to say without knowing you PC specs but i would hazard a guess and say...no

Sorry mate. Although, i pray to God you are not going to use an AMD Turion X2 2Ghz with these two 4870x2's?

3. Mochen

Mochen Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX275 OCX
    No, I wouldn't even try it. I'd say 1000w is the bare minimum for that kind of setup.

4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    What's the +12v rail(s) like?

5. Azx619

Azx619 New Member

GPU:
    Ati X1250
    obviously not,that's just the specs of my laptop,im going to build a pc from scratch

edit 1:here are the specs:[​IMG]

and now that i went to their site,theres two of them crossfire and sli and i think i have the sli one,would it matter.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, I think your Galaxy PSU is sufficient for CFX 4870 X2....just don't add too many other devices like a ton of HDD, WC pumps and such. I believe you should be more than fine with that PSU....now, IF it were a generic POS PSU, then I would not be as confident.

7. tHe_HyBrId

tHe_HyBrId Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6950 (Unlocked)
    I rekon if you don't overclock, you might just be able to have CrossfireX 4870X2's, but that means, don't overclock anything. Even if you had a G0 Stepping Q6600.

Also the next time you build a PC I suggest you buy all of the parts at the same time. Then mishaps like this will not happen. Since March Antec have brought out their Twelve Hundred case which looks relatively good. But you have the case and PSU now, although I would wait and see if otehr people are in your position and see how they cope, if you can wait :)

HyBrId

8. sw4242

sw4242 New Member

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD4850
    I think you'll be fine.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=266095

AtillaKing says that his Enermax 650w can handle 4870 in crossfire. (You have the same brand with more wattage.)

You'll need to use the molex-to-PCIE adapters but you should be ok. In fact, on the side of my 4870 box, it says 650watts minimum for crossfire. A lot of test systems in reviews seem to draw much less than 650 watts. (For stability, it's always good to have more, of course.) Also, I found this link informative: http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354

I have an Enermax Infinity 720 watt PSU, and I'm receiving my 2nd 4870 sometime today, but I probably won't be able to install it until next week.

I'll let you know if I find that my 720 watts is insufficient. But I've researched this somewhat, and I'm fairly certain that your PSU will be fine.

9. Chris85

Chris85 Member Guru

GPU:
    Club3D HD5800
    i don't get why you guys don't use the info that is found on this very same site.

Hilbert tested a beta engineeringsample, which reached 448 watts across the system.
    now, let's say that another 4870x2 uses another 250 watts at max (although it's forseen to use 300 with that 8-pin connector).
    that would mean the entire system would take up 700 watts and that would be under extreme conditions.

so, imo, you'ld be pretty safe