Auznetech Prelude Popping with Drivers 175.16+

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by xXJumbaXx, Jul 20, 2008.

1. xXJumbaXx

xXJumbaXx Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2
    Hi,

First post. Sorry if this has been said before, but I am getting crackling and popping noises from Auzentech X-fi Prelude. There is no crackling when I start the computer. The crackling only starts when I run a game. Source engine games have minor crackles in the background, but Crysis had severe cracling and sound looping witch often coincendided with stuttering on screen. The sound would eventually stop completely. After I have run a game all music and even WIndos sounds are now corrupt and crcakle until I reboot the computer. I have the latest sound drivers and video drivers, 176.66. I finally worked out the problem was caused by the drivers. All drivers above 174.74 caused the crackling sound. Is this because the driver has a bug and will be fixed in a more recent driver? Has anyone else had this problem and found a fix to make it work under newer drivers? Or is it just something wrong with my comp?

Cheers

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I used the 175.16 and didnt get popping noise. I dont get it with the 177.66. In fact I never got it with any of the drivers over the 174.74.

3. Postalisback

Postalisback Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 TwinFrozr 2GB
    Are you saying you got popping noise with drivers previous to 174.74?

@Jumba, it could be caused by your Nvidia-based chipset, there have been problems with those and X-Fi's in the past :3eyes:

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    No i saying I never got poping noise at all with any drivers. I guess I worded it wrong.

5. xXJumbaXx

xXJumbaXx Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2
    If it is a problem with a nvidia chipset, I do have the nforce driver 15.17. Is it possible it could be this driver? Are there more recent drivers or hotfixes available?

Cheers

6. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It shouldn't be the Nvidia chipset, Nvidia drivers or the card itself. I'm running those without bigger problems.
    What OS are you running? On my machine, Vista does have far more sound problems than XP (both 64-bit).
    Maybe a security software you're running? Or full VRAM?

7. xXJumbaXx

xXJumbaXx Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2
    I am running Vista 64-bit, so that could be the cause. I am using the 64 bit version of BitDefender Total Security 2008 though I usually disable it when I run certain offline applications like Crysis.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  8. xXJumbaXx

xXJumbaXx Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2
    I suppose full VRAM could be happening as the popping occurs majorly in Crysis and minorly in TF2. However the sound after running an application keeps popping. Because only 175.16 and above drivers are causing this is it possible they have changed the way VRAM is used and could be causing it to become full? Or could it be that becuase I need both cores to work in SLI in 9800 GX2 to get the full amount of VRAM, something isn't working with SLI in the new drivers? If this is possible is there a test I can run to ensure both cores are wroking together properly?

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  9. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Funny thing, I'm using the same security suite. Right now I'm using 2 8800 GTS in SLI mode and Crysis does happily use the relatively small VRAM that's available.
    Do you have these problems outside games also? Like when you're listening to music or a movie and eventually the monitor turns off, when you move your mouse to turn it back on?

10. xXJumbaXx

xXJumbaXx Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2
    When I first turn on the computer and the Vista logo appears and plays its little theme, there is one tiny little click. When I run music there are small clicks and pops in the background, not usually noticeable. Same for movies. When I run a game like Crysis, in which the sound pops and eventually just turns off. There is no sound at all anywhere. Eventually it returns and even Windows System Sounds have pops. It goes back to normal if I restart the computer. I have done some tests and all my speakers are working fine as I have them plugged into a reciever. Other devices plugged into it have perfect sound. Is it possible becuase I have it connected it to my reciever via a TOSLINK cable in Dobly Digital Live. DTS interactive produces the same resulsts as well though.

Cheers

11. xXJumbaXx

xXJumbaXx Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2
    I was looking at the drivers for the Auznetech Prelude and I found that a section was added called Known Bugs.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/download/experimental.php#beta1_1_bugs

Uninstallation problem. Set Restore Point before install.
    DDL and/or DTS may fail to activate after Installation
    DDL sound stops
    DDL sound "pops or crackles"
    Mic sound problem (Ventrilo, VOIP in games)

This seems to be all of my problems though DTS Interactive pops and crackles aren't there. Do you think it could be these bugs in the sound driver causing all my problems, despite it's certain video drivers in which these problems occur.

Cheers

12. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Yes, that's the most plausible solution. If you can, try to hook up your receiver with the analog connection.
    I am using 5.1 analog and a pair of headphones, so I really guess the connection is what causes those problems.

13. xXJumbaXx

xXJumbaXx Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GX2
    I tried using a pair of headphones and there was no popping whatsoever. It looks like the problem was the digital connection. I'll have to try an analog connection to my reciever now. Thanks for all of your help in finding the cause of my problem.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008