Questions Vista and ATI

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by serialmike, Jul 18, 2008.

1. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    I have pretty much always bought Nvidia. But I did have a 9800pro I loved once upon a time. Except for drivers and certain games which drove me nuts and back to nvidia I went.

Anyway. Here are my questions.....

I run vista 64 on a 24 inch LG monitor thru dvi connection.

Does ATI on 4000 series cards Have a WORKING option for Fixed aspect ratio?
    Dpes ATI on 4000 series cards have WORKING control or colors and gamma from the driver that effects in game also?

Let me clarify on the questions a bit.

Is there an option that lets you have 1 to 1 pixel map. In other words can i set fixed aspect and play old diablo2 and see a little square of 1024x800 in the middle of my screen?

And

For the color control You used to be able to say drop the brightness thru the controls of the video card and then when you start the game that adjustment thru the driver would hold. and be the same in game.

If the answers of these are both yes you can. Ill be running to the newegg sight. You cant do this in nvidia cards in vista at all. And They say in thier notes its a vista issue. I want to know if ATI suffers this too or if nvidia is talkin BS.

Thanks for your answers guys.

EDIT-PLease , I dont give a crap if you can in xp. So can I. I need to know about vista and monitors hooked thru dvi connect and these issues. Thanks

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. dudikaz

dudikaz Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX480
    the answer to both of your questions is YES.

3. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    You got me dying here. ITs like a dream. I dont even believe it. Im thinking of running out to bb right now. lol.

Again I dont want to just go blow 300 for nothing.

The color is a big issue to me. I can adjust the Brightness contrast and gamma of the desktop and if I say lower brightness in the driver and start the game the game will be darker. correct?

4. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    confirm also

5. dudikaz

dudikaz Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX480
    Correct

6. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    TY TY TY.

Call to bank, i mean wife going in now for 300 approval.

by And fu nvidia.

7. dudikaz

dudikaz Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX480
    i wouldn't be so happy :D i mean i'm having some problems with that card... like driver has stopped responding error every few minutes :D of course it should get fixed soon cause there's still no real 4870 driver release only beta and hotfix releases... and both of them suck

8. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    Got the 4870 in a box right here. Intall it later when the baby goes to sleep.
    In case you guys don't know there is No restock fee on BB. So im gonna try this puppy :)

Ty guys again.

9. Mochen

Mochen Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX275 OCX
    You won't be disappointed :)

10. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    OK, I installed it all. I have not fired anything up. Still watching the kids :)

1 Question.

How do I turn off AA in the driver panel. Sometimes I prefer to overide app settings and turn it off in the driver. I just don't see off. I see 2x or app setting.

I dont trust my apps to do anything. Probably because I played wow for 3.5 years. Get my point hehe.

Anyway, Im running 8.7 beta from here. And I thank you in advance. Im no rookie so lay it on me. Just tell me thye didnt leave that out. God please tell me thye didnt leave that out.

11. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    Ty guys for all your answers. I sent the card packing back to bb. I could not get it working with lotro which for me at this time is the most important game I have to run.

I gave then thier shot to make me not an nvidia guy and again I see they released a card with no drivers. Drivers were the reason i left em flat 5 yrs ago. Since I used to play that game of waiting for that new driver that never comes I went back to my old card.

Thanks again for the help Im sure its a good card for many of you. but I jsut couldnt get it right for me.

12. lognoronon

lognoronon Member

GPU:
    Is this some kind of joke post lol? The card runs just fine with the hot fix drivers and also the 8.7's got released today.

13. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    Nope, not a joke. there a quite a few people that I saw post on the internet with similar type issues with 4000 series and Lotro.

Now way to get dx10 and lotro working. I was upgrading form a 8800gtx which ran dx10 fine.

Since I could not get the 4870 working wioth any driver 8.6, or 8.7 I snet it back to the store while they would not charge me for returning.

Agian I had a 9800 pro back in the day that i did like alot but alas using one driver for one game and thne another for other games drove me freakin nuts so I went back to nvidia.

Not meaning to start nothing hear. I tried it, It doesnt work for me. Back to the store it went.

Thanks again for the help. Also didnt like that I cant turn off AA from the ccc panel.

14. bummerman

bummerman Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 tri-crossfire
    just set as to "application only@ .
    setting
    Also, scanning corrections are handled muchbetter by ati in hd tv resolutions

15. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    Im not here to argue anything about Video, blah blah blah. Please dont tunr this into somekind of flame war thread.

Setting to app controlled is not OFF override and YES there is a difference, a very big difference.

Either way the card does not do dx10 in lotro well for as it seems quite a few people.

16. bummerman

bummerman Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 tri-crossfire
    nvisia has had a lot of inconsistency with their over- scan underscan option as well as custom saturation settings . Iwas simply pointing out that ati is ahead here . As I have computers with nvidia cards as well, I have experienced off and on problems in this area possibly, having Ali cfg exaserbates this

17. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    This thread is not about movie playback.

It was some questions relating to games and I had issue with Lotro my game of choice. I had to return the card as Im not prepared to wait for it to be playable.

18. bummerman

bummerman Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 tri-crossfire
    Actually, Lotro was never brought up until much later. Had nothing to do with your initial thread post

19. serialmike

serialmike Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GF FX 8800gtx
    IF the powers that be on these forums wonder how all the ati vs nvidia war threads get started, look no further than here.

This guys only goal is to draw me into some kind of fued. Not gonna happen.

And what does video playback have to do with the original post, nothing! Ty for the useless info that has nothing to do with nothing.