Bad Batch or what?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by redserv, Jul 19, 2008.

1. redserv

redserv Member

hello guys i am living all the way in the caribbean islands, and about to buy my EVGA GTX280 video card i have been reading lately that alot off the GTX280's have heating issues, my question is,
    1. Was it a BAD batch of video cards in the first place?
    2. is evga admitting there are bad cards out there still?
    3. has evga and the rest off the guys sorted this problem yet?

just abit worried, dont really want to have to RMA a card back to EVGA all the way from the caribbean, they would chareg me a TON, thanks and hope to get some advice on this soon.

2. simo2k

simo2k Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780ti sc
    heat issues

what is it with these so called heat issues on the gtx280 i have one and it only runs 48 degrees idle a lot cooler than my old 8800gtx...

so a bad batch who knows...

3. redserv

redserv Member

well its kinda strange that no one is saying why we are getting so many GTX280 video cards with the HEAT issues, maybe i missed it but havent heard anyone fro evga, XFX, etc... saying anything about if indeed it was a bad Batch or not, kinda freaked out buying my card knowing that there might be a chance i can get a faulty card.

4. simo2k

simo2k Guest

GPU:
    Evga gtx 780ti sc

well from what i read in early reviews it was the 4850/4870 with heat issues having problems with artifacting and things but thats just what i read but seriously no problems that i know too with heat issues.

5. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Sounds like a repeat of EVGA's 7900 GT problems when they came out. They either have bad luck with new cards, or quality control is failing somewhere.

6. redserv

redserv Member

ya now i gotta make a decision what to do, if i should get the GTX280 or wait, wonder when Nvidia would release there new 55nm GPU's?

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Welcome to Guru3D :) ,In my opinion it is safer to wait for next card , it will be out in August ~ September and surely it will perform better :). * It would be nice if you fill in your current hardware in your profile, that way if you need help we can assist you better*

Good Day and Good Luck.

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

OP: Can't say if it's a bad batch but I ordered two GTX 280 cards, One is pefectly fine but the other is getting a lot hotter when running a certain application or crysis when overclocked, so I am gonna rma. To test whether you have one of the overheating cards you need to run a utility called ozone3d furmark as it's one of the most demanding utilities available.

Normal cards will hit a max of around 90c under full load at high resolutions, the bad ones will however keeps heating until you physicaly stop the test, My second card hit 100c before I turned the test off, all other applications run fine and many people will never even notice until they reach a temp point where the chip simply cannot keep itself cool under stress.

Seems a lot of people have had such cards and the same thing happened back when the 8800 GTX was launched aswell as the 8800GT. If you want to be sure to avoid such cards the safest bet is to wait for the next revision or refresh.

9. Hollow27

Hollow27 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 Core216@FTW+
    Well i ran furmark stability test for like 20-30 min on my gtx260 with 32x aa @ 1440x900 and its was starting to get to 100 with the fan at 80%!! LOL i was like WTH!!! During normal gaming it stays nice and cool. I haven't read much about the gtx280 heat problems but are people taking them apart to look at the tim as we all know the 8800gtx's had problems because of bad tim application. Of course i know alot of people won't or can't because the manufacter's warranty on some brands. I'm still debating on whether or not i should go to the trouble of taking mine apart.:) Oh yeah,mine is overclocked to though.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  10. AmigaFan

AmigaFan Member

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 580
    Well I recently brought my gainward gtx 280 & I thought it was bugged as I ran the crysis benchmarking tool & the card hit 101c after about a minute or so & at that point I stopped the test, while the benchmark was running I noticed it was very stuttery & not what I was expecting from a gtx 280!

I decided to wipe vista & re-install it, I put the same version of the video card drivers on & played for hours on crysis with the card now overclocked to 670/1458/1215 (core/shaders/mem) & the max load temp I get is 75c & the fan rpm hovers around the 70% mark.

Furmark maxed out at 83c after leaving it running for 15 mins, that was at stock speeds @ 1920x1200 with 8xmsaa, I only run the card overclocked while playing crysis. The load temps are 3/4c higher if I leave my case fans on idle, but on high they move a bucket load of air!

That 101c reading I had initially must of been bogus, I'm 100% sure there's nothing wrong with the card.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008

11. redserv

redserv Member

hmm, ya if i could get some information as to when the 55nm GPU will be out then i can probably hold out.

12. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX280 SCC
    From what I have seen, it seems like late August/early September is their target... but when have they ever really hit their target. I would expect to see them for sale, by early October, but that's just my opinion.

As for the overheating. I've heard of an EARLY batch of cards having some heat issues, but most of the later cards seem to be good, as far as I can tell. As I am typing this, the GTX280 I received last week, from Newegg, is idling at 44C(and this is an EVGA SSC version OC'd to run at FTW speeds).

13. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Update on the overheating issue I was having on one of my cards, well it seems to have miraculously fixed itself, all I did was leave it out for a few hours then plug it in change drivers and leave the case panels off. Seems other people have had the same thing happen on the sli zone forums. Last test I ran with the furmark utility I was getting 90C max after around 10 minutes of 1920x1200 16xmsaa.

14. redserv

redserv Member

hmm... thats pretty interesting, however maybe the thermal stuff thay had on the heat sink maybe just settle it down.