Radeon HD 4850 Heat issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Cartman372, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Hmm...not finding the temps anywhere...directions?

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Excellent work !
    I hated that 80 degrees...

It works perfectly on 4870, and I found that 40% can be set without being audible.

At 45% it begins to be noisy but acceptable, and from 50% and above it's annoying.

@40%, default GPU/MEM speeds ( no overclock ) it cools the chip down to 50 on idle, 60 on load ( instead 80 idle -> 85 load ).

I say again, Bravo !

P.S.
    At 100% it's louder than my vacuum cleaner =)

3. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    But, it doesn't SUCK at all! :banana:

4. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    I ran Prime95 for four hours yesterday (it was quite warm). I've been concerned that my System temp has been 40C for the past while. Strange; after 4 hours of prime, it was only 41C! My CPU OTOH, was closer to 50. Cooling off my GPU by ~30C has definately dropped my system temps. :bigsmile:
    BTW: for all. With the power of these new components, the choice of case is of utmost importance; ie: my Stacker 832 has excellent cooling. If you cheap out on a case that doesn't have decent airflow - you will regret it. ;)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008

5. bokloz

bokloz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti
    yeah that is true, and i would not think that my case airflow has this big effect until i changed it with a good airflow one

6. Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Ive set mine on 30% on my 4870 and idle temps dropped from ~80 to just under 50. ;) Ive got great cooling coming from my Antec 900 and at 30% I cant hear the card over the case (both reasonably quiet). YMMV

7. TonyTG

TonyTG New Member

GPU:
    HIS Radeon HD 4870 512mb
    Worked like a charm

Had a bit of trouble finding the location at first (hate Vista btw), but if you copy/paste the path and replace Bretware with your username it'll take you where ya need to be.

My HIS 4870 card was set at 18%, kicked it to 68% and it sounded like a jet engine. Kicked it back to 40% and it's more tolerable. From 78c idle to 40c idle.

Thanks again. :banana:

8. Zippy911

Zippy911 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    Gpu-z ati 4850

:pirate:

I couldn't open your link to see your data, so I'm just replying on what you wrote here.

I took these GPU-Z data shots today with a room temp 0f 31.35C (89F) - No A/C in the house. There are two cards, crossfired, so I posted both cards' read outs. These are only in 2D, but are consistantly lower than yours and near what I posted earlier. I'll do a 3D update soon too. The Card which is slightly higher in Temp. is on the lower PCI-E slot, butting up against my sound card, so there is slightly less circulation of air there.

Link: http://picasaweb.google.com/zippy2arms/ATI4850

Please let me know if the pics aren't viewable.

My case is a ABS Aplus ABS-CS-Monolith Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811215009) with two 250mm side fans blowing straight at GPU's and CPU area, plus a 120mm intake at front and 120mm exhaust at back. Large volumes of air are circulated here. But, it was the fan speed hack which contributed to lowering the cards temps to what I posted.

Please note also that there are many other posts here with similar results, if not lower, to mine as well as those with temps at your levels too. Maybe others here with more experience can explain why, but these are my first ATI cards with Crossfire so I don't know all the variables involved.

The temp. for my room today is abnormally warm as it is normally 23.65C (75F) here as I live near the Coast - of California, not Alalska:)

-Zip

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  9. Zippy911

Zippy911 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  10. Strykerr

Strykerr Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE 1070
    Works good

11. bacan

bacan Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 470 SLI
    Your pic links are working fine.
    Well, those two 250mm side fans obviously put a light on a case.
    In an ordinary cases with usual 80, 92 or 120mm fans you cannot cool your cards so efficiently that's why I was suspicious.

You got a really nice air-cooled case, well done!

Cheers.

I see that many members with 4870 post in this thread too but their problem is completely different than ours with 4850.4870 has a dual slot cooler similar to 2900 that is very efficient, it only needs a small fan cycle boost.

When I mentioned ATI dual slot coolers here's my "dust experience" with 2900XT cooler.Every 3-4 months I had to disassemble the coolers to clean the "dust beards" collecting on a gpu copper block preventing air to circulate normally.So 4870 owners clean you room at least twice a week or your graphic card's cooler may "let it beard".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Setsunayaki

Setsunayaki New Member

GPU:
    4850 (ATI)
    Thank you, it worked....I posted how make to work in different forums in full on XP-32 and XP-64 bit.

Thanks for the help.

13. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    Same temps, here. What a great card! I had a Visiontek 3870, because that's the only one they had in stock. This time, I bought the HIS 4870 - the only one they had in stock; in fact, they had to bring it in from the warehouse! I'd say; AMD has made some major improvements here! :banana: :bigsmile:
    Sadly, I'm about at my limit, as far as GPUs go...any more power and I would have to go 1000W+. Probably, having my computer on and one lightbulb would blow the fuse in this '60s relic. ;) :banana:

14. XfVito

XfVito New Member

GPU:
    Visiontek/ATi HD4870/512
    I tried this fan fix with my HD 4870 VisionTek running the new HD 4870 HOTFIX drivers and it does not seem to work at all. I edited the profile like documented but no change in fan speed or temp still running idle at 79C.... Has anyone gotten this to work with the HotFix Drivers, I notice it installs the files in a weird place ( non standard ) but thats what the hotfix driver defaulted to..... Any help here would be Kewl no pun intended :)

Vito

15. Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Hmm...Im running a VTek card as well, with the hotfix drivers and it works for me. Not to insult your smarts, but did you follow the directions carefully? IE modded a created profile per the instructions and then load the profile?

16. XfVito

XfVito New Member

GPU:
    Visiontek/ATi HD4870/512
    Yeah followed step by step. dont see any change at all....
    Found my profile here C:\Documents and Settings\Vito\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE

and this is what I put in it... Named the file Fanfix and choose that one in the profile manager apply it and no change :-(

<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
    <Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
    <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" /> </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want" value="0" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want" value="65" />
    </Feature>

17. Irish Pilot

Irish Pilot Guest

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Hmm...lets try it one more time. Try it this way...

• Open the ATI CCC Center and start a new profile with it called Fanchange (or whatever)
    • Save whatever settings you want, etc. and leave the control center open
    • Navigate to your folder that has your profiles and find Fanchange (or whatever)
    • Open it and edit the appropriate areas, then save the file (dont change the name or anything).
    • Go back to the CCC which you have left open, reselect your Fanchange profile and click "apply and close" or whatever
    • You should hear your fan ramp up.

18. XfVito

XfVito New Member

GPU:
    Visiontek/ATi HD4870/512
    Thats exactly what I did mate :) not sure what I am missing here but no fan change.... you saw the 2 lines I tweaked in the profile I saved, looks like what he said to do.... I select it in the profile mgr and no diff... :-(

19. PersianPimp

PersianPimp New Member

GPU:
    Visiontek HD4870
    I have the same problem, i installed the 8.6 from AMD site, made my profile, no go, installed 8.7b no go, installed 8.6 from the cd, did all of the steps no go... :bang:

20. PersianPimp

PersianPimp New Member

GPU:
    Visiontek HD4870
    WOW man i got it! We have to unlock the overdrive first! ok don't do any of the steps, unlock the card, and then enable the overdrive, make a desktop shortcut of ur profile! run it! boom! :banana: