Last question = 280gtx sli able to play crysis @ 3840 by 1024 high / very high ????

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Frag-master, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Frag-master

Frag-master Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX960 Mini OC
    you not read first post did you :p

no looking at t 1280 by 1024 looking at 3 x 1280 by 1024 = 3840 by 1024 then that sorta power is needed :p

2. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    I've recently started using softTH to spread my games over 3 monitors. I'm using a 17" and a 19" for side monitors and a 22" widescreen as centre. FEAR plays great at 5040x1050 and looks fantastic.

Test Drive Unlimited, LFS, COD4, FEAR, ALPINE SKI RACING 2007 and RFACTOR all run perfectly at 5040x1050.

I'd go as far as to say softTH is the best tool I've seen as far as multi-monitor pc gaming is concerned. Beats paying £130-£300 for a matrox triple-head.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  3. jazziam

jazziam Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 260GTX
    The things is, you can wait, and wait and wait for new hardware to come out or wait till prices drop. But whats the point, 3 months time, there will probably be a 280 gx2 or a 280gtx+ that will dwarf the 280gtx. It's better to upgrade now and enjoy your games. At the res Fragmaster is playing 2x 280GTX's will be more than enough to play any game at that res for quite a while. In anycase, I run 2x 3870's but ill probably by myself either a single 4870 or just go and get a Nvidia 280gtx. 2 x 3870's are just a pain in the back side -_-

4. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    An uncommon 15 : 4

By the way: Sick set-up Frag-Master !!

5. Jenova_link

Jenova_link Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580
    I don't know about 3840x1024 but i know 3200x900 look really good with COD 4. 16/10:banana:
    Frag-Master go for man don't let these people talk you down its your money if you want to see Crysis at 3840x1024 with 4AA at 40+fps and got the money :biggun:GO FOR IT. I would do the same too if I have 3 screen and the money.

6. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    3200x900 (32 : 9) is twice as wide as a 16 : 9 display, I can't imagine that wouldn't look extremely stretched...

7. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    It wouldn't be too stretched, i guess you might lose some vertical sight, but the horizontal view will be rendered to match the custom width, at least most modern games would work. Seen a triple head playing FEAR and a few other games, looked brilliant, no stretching if setup properly (game config + matrox's driver? not sure)

8. Jigsore

Jigsore Active Member

GPU:
    3 x gtx 280 sli evga
    I have gtx 280 sli'ed and play crysis at 2560x1600 on Med at fps of 50-55. High is very choppy, and Very High is unplayable. I came from 2 8800gtx in sli, and get roughly the same performance as the 2 gtx 280's. The real difference is not frame rates, but the ability to use aa & af at high res. Drivers still need to come a long way.

9. WinMacLin

WinMacLin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    @ Jigsore
    With AMD giving NVIDIA real competition it may Spur NVIDIA to really push every frame out of these new cards (via drivers). It's an exciting time with so much competition and Intel on the brink of entering the dedicated graphics market with what looks to be a monster of a starting line.

10. Jigsore

Jigsore Active Member

GPU:
    3 x gtx 280 sli evga
    When I first got the gtx280's I expected a huge increase in fps. Nobody was doing comparisons from 8800gtx sli vs. gtx280 sli, and the topic was always "is 1 gtx280 better than 2 8800gtx?" so I didn't know what to expect from the new cards. I almost returned the new cards because my fps stayed virtually the same in most games. But then I saw that I could now use aa & af at max settings, and turn on some effects that I couldn't before. Bottom line is that if you get the new cards and play at high resolution you will NOT see higher fps, but the fps you get will just look better. This is my experience anyway...

11. WinMacLin

WinMacLin Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I had the same experience Jisore. My FPS didn't increase it stayed the same as when I had a single 8800GTX in most games (except like Crysis and COD4 and Team Fortress 2) I also play at 2560x1600. But when I increased settings for instance on my 8800GTX I could only play TF2 with all settings maxed at 2560x1600 if I didn't use any AA or AF. Which made textures in the distance look kind of smudged and there were a lot of jaggies. But with my dual-GTX260's I've been able to apply 8xAA 16xAF with smoother FPS. Less low-dips and around 80-120FPS with 50-60FPS with 12+ players on screen at once like around spawn areas at the beginning of a game.

Overall I'm impressed with my upgrade but then I went from an 8800GTX to Dual GTX260's so I feel like I got a lot of value out of the upgrade considering the huge performance increase I've experienced coupled with plummeting temperatures and higher stability :)

12. Jigsore

Jigsore Active Member

GPU:
    3 x gtx 280 sli evga
    The lower temps makes it worth the switch alone imo. With 2 8800gtx's running I could hardly stay in the room, and they heated the entire top floor of my house! With the A/C cranked up it was bearable, but the rest of the house was like an icebox.

13. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    FEAR @ 5040x1050
    [​IMG]

ALPINE SKI RACING 2007 @ 5040x1050
    [​IMG]

TEST DRIVE UNLIMITED @ 5040x1050
    [​IMG]

14. Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Cool!

Visit the Monty Python Servers for COD and visit our forums, alliesinarms.net. A bunch of fpser's are in TS every night, visit us, 69.93.34.18. I've been admining this for years and we're a strong fun group.

Lex aka AIA Daddy

PS If I have violated any EULA for advertisement, my apologies.

15. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    I have to say that looks very interesting, though 0_0 :nerd:

Altough I cannot see the picture very well on those vids, imo it's a bit stretched... I wouldn't expect different, cos the aspect ratio of the human eye is also not that wide :p, but I guess it's not that dramatic as I thought.

And aren't you just annoyed by those black bars between the screens?

16. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    tbh it took about 2hrs to get used to it. After adjusting my seating position for fear and cod4 (I moved back about 2ft) I found my rhythm again. The black bars don't come into it when playing fps games since all concentration is still focused on the centre screen with only fleeting glimpes needed from either sides screen.

It has breathed a whole new lease of life into my games which I'm more than happy with. I've always wanted a large screen to play on but could never really afford nor justify such an expensive purchase for such a luxury.
    This way I'm using spare monitors I had laying around and a software driver to split the image.

I've done some comparisons between games run over the three displays compared to a solitary monitor on a second pc I have with a 21" crt @ 1600x1200. Visually the triple-screen setup displays some extra image over the single display. I mean it shows the same image as the 1600x1200 21" display across the centre display and 50% of each side display.....the extra 50% of each side display is extra image.....not stretched.

17. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Good for you! :)
    But how did you attach 3 monitors to your videocard with just a software driver?

18. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    Sorry, the 3rd display runs off a 2nd pci-e graphics card I have from an older pc. I'm using a 7800gtx right now but any pci-e card will do. My mate uses an 8400GS for his 3rd display with an 8600gt as main. He mainly plays rfactor and see's very admirable ingame performance. The second card only displays what the main card renders...it needs to do no heavy work itself.....so no worries there. I can't do sli on this p5k-e but atleast I can run the cards seperately for spanning purposes :)

19. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Sweet! And you can download it for free! Thx for sharing, man ;)
    Gotta remember to try this when I get back from the USA in 4 weeks :banana:

20. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH

sure you can. get it here http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/

Gotta spread the love buddy :)