XP going bye bye soon...

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Slam, Jul 1, 2008.

1. demon148

demon148 Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d 512mb 8800GT
    I prefer Server 2008 to Vista, although I still think Vista is a good OS. XP was a good OS in the day, I have set it up on my brothers computer, and I cant believe I used to use it.

2. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Not true...you just need to "activate" your copy again, which costs nothing but a phone call. Pain in the arse yes, but no cost.

As greedy as MS is, they couldn't get away with doing something like forcing people to buy a new copy everytime they change hardware.

3. Meroth

Meroth Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 8800 GT
    Well... hm... but technically that's what MS is doing. OEM license anyone? Sure you have a good chance of reactivating with phone call, but technically if you bought an OEM and change most of your components, you should buy a new copy of the OS too (or buy retail and avoid all the hassle). But this was also true with any older Windows OEM versions too, it's not new to Vista.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  4. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    I understand what you're saying. But bottom line is, as long as you have purchased a copy (or not), and have a legit license key, you can activate it as many times as you need to...on any pc, as long as it's only on "one" pc at any given time.

5. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Stupid post...imho

6. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    Server 2008 for the win.

This is the version Vista (desktop) should have been released as in my opinion. Less, not more.

7. Intrepidx

Intrepidx Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA/9800GX2/1024MB
    Everyone that is waiting for windows 7 to come out, i dont understand whats the big deal windows 7 looks just like windows vista and im not exactly sure how its going to operate i just dont understand what do you find about windows 7 thats so much better then vista i would really like to see some facts please?

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's an evolution to the server 2008 kernel which as you can see from the post above yours is an evolution of the Vista kernel. Gonna ship with a whole bunch of new features, new UI, new input methods, VHD support stuff like that.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CommandrX [​IMG]
    Meh...XP still has some life left in it here so I'll just wait for Windows 7 to be released.

I'll fourth it.

I had Vista Ultimate installed for about a week, then uninstalled it and put XP back in. Couldn't be happier now. :)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  10. Meroth

Meroth Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 8800 GT
    I'm really curious what will happen when Windows 7 actually comes. Because I foresee the same problems at the beginning as Vista had: lack of drivers, unfamiliar UI, strange bugs... - and people will still pick that over a mature Vista? The same persons who won't change from XP now? But why?

11. Athanasios2104

Athanasios2104 Member

GPU:
    Ati x1950xtx
    I'm keeping my XP SP3 Pro till Windows 7 and then WE WILL SEE if they need replacement.

12. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    This is the thing though. Some of the people havent realized it yet so we are going to hear the same thing over and over again. It is a never ending process.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    well, supposedly the hypervisor thing was going on but may have been scrapped, i'm not sure.
    they planned on having the software sit on hardware layer then virtualize everything. ideally, virtulizing older windows OS's as well, so that would have been good news to gamers who have trouble running old games in vista.

Minwin was another new thing. basically its the smallest OS in the world so they say and very quick, it was to be the core of W7

quite a few other odds and ends. like explorer will look like I-phone. ya know the 3d folder scrolling thing.

now those may have been scrapped, likely depending on development time or maybe they didnt work out as planned but i hope all the intended features will make it.

if not then yes, it will be a remake of Vista with some minor features.
    i'd be happy if they would finally make single folder executable applications like OSX.

14. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    We have no real idea what Windows 7 will look like, as current pictures of 7 are alpha builds that use the Vista Interface. Hell, it could look like Vista in the end product, we don't know.

15. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Lots of XP hate here for some odd reason. What people need to understand is that there is only around 2% of games that even utilize features in Vista. There isn't anything wrong with XP and it functions much better than Vista on current hardware. The largest security feature that Vista has to offer over XP was the removal of IE from the OS and making it to its own thing like how Firefox is therefore if you get something through IE it doesn't hose the OS.

If you like Vista thats great....if you like XP thats great. I just rebuilt my gaming rig with XP32bit and I've not had any issues with it and nor have I thought once to look at my Vista Ultimate disk to install it cause I just don't see the need. None of the games I play including Crysis need DX10 or Vista only to allow me to play them and no games being released for the next year will require only Vista and not allow XP to run them. The licensing for Volumes for Vista is going to cause all kinds of problems with schools, businesses and others as well which is a major headache for not only IT but for the students or employee's.

So I say Xp is fine for now..and will be plenty to use for at least another year. I'll keep my Vista disk cause its a OEM and I use it for my side job of PC repair..but I don't think I'll ever use it and prob end up jumping to Windows 7 if the games and software force me to.

16. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Not really a true statement. Not sure what you consider "current hardware". But since the release of sp1 and updates for Vista etc....XP really has no advantage at all anymore...in any realm.

But XP does seem to have an endless cult following. Some people just can't let go of it. Why...it's beyond me.

17. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    True! So very true!
    Perhaps i'm not using every new Vista function, but IMHO i like Vista more than XP. For me Vista handles much more smooth than XP, but in the beginning Vista was crap, yes. I gave Vista 64 another go after SP1 and now i really love it. Plus it runs very stable on my system.

But what am i saying? The XP fanboys will still attack me with "But XP gives you exactly the same eXPerience".
    AFAIK, Vista is far the same as XP.

18. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    vista is great like it very much no really:), but when it comes to gaming it just sucks because of those compatibility issues, and some games run worse no matter what.
    Well I tested it prior sp1, so by your posts i got a picture that its a lot better now or ain't?

19. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I love Vista x64 but I also loved XP when I first used that OS.

There you go a balanced post! lol:)

20. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    It has indeed improved since SP1 and tbh, i haven't experienced gaming problems with Vista (yet, since you never know). The only problem with Vista 64 and that cripples your Windows as well is installing StarForce protected Ubisoft games. The SF on most of Ubi's cd's/dvd's isn't Vista compatible and i was greeted with an endless loop of bootup BSOD's. After removing that dreaded SF dll with a Linux live cd, Windows could boot again.

As for XP vs Vista performance, there were a couple of recent benches between XP and Vista and they showed that Vista is on par when it comes to gaming performance. There's also a thread about the subject here on Guru3D. I will see if i can find it again.