I want to benchmark resolutions I can't display - how?

Discussion in 'Benchmark Mayhem' started by JMerrick, Jul 13, 2008.

1. JMerrick

JMerrick Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 7950 GT PCI-E 512 MB
    Thinking of going to a 1920x1200 24" LCD, but I want to be able to benchmark some of my games first to see if they can handle this resolution with okay framerates on my current machine.

Needless to say, my current display cannot handle this resolution. Is there some way I can bench it and see the results? It's probably a game dependant thing, but any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Phantom93

Phantom93 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285 700/1500/1375
    does 3damrk06 or vantage w\e ur using let u choose thse res's?

If it does just put them up there and ur moniter wont display antyhing but it shoudl still bench

if it dont u could find a way to crack the res file and manualy add 1920x1200

Or simply g online and find benchmarks for ur hardware that have already been done. IMO if you are wonderign for liek crysis I would predictu could do med\high in DX9 with that 7950, if u upgraded to a GTS 512 or a GT512 you coudl easily do high settings in DX10 at that res

3. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    If ur monitor cant support the res you are out of luck

EDIT

ACTUALLY!!!!!

Run the Game in Windowed Mode :)

Then you can put whatever Res you want !!!!

But keep in mind, you wont be able to see some parts of the screen

4. Joshua

Joshua Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX260 Core 216
    Not to mention, alot of games run slower in windowed mode, due to the card not only producing the image for the game, but still drawing the desktop.

5. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    But the desktop is hardly enough to tax it that much is it?

6. JMerrick

JMerrick Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 7950 GT PCI-E 512 MB
    I'll be buying a new monitor first, and later this year a new computer to use with it. Anyway I ran TF2 on my HDTV in 1920x1080 and it was decent, slower than 1024x768 4xAA on my CRT but very playable.

I was seriously considering Benq GW2400, but might hold off until I buy the whole kit and kaboodle.

7. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Well it will certainly run it a LOT slower, but I dont think it really has anything to do with rendering the desktop, I'd say more like the fact that its rendering in a 'viewport', rather than having the entire screen to itself.

But rest assured, if it runs ok in windowed, it will be superb fullscreen ;)