q6600 oc nightmares on 790i (GTL's)

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by SS_FireHawk, Jun 29, 2008.

1. SS_FireHawk

SS_FireHawk Member

GPU:
    gtx 280 @ 783/1566/2450
    Let me put it in basic terms for you MOFO64. When I decide to purchase retardedly expensive items, there comes something expected with it. Your not gonna buy a 540 cubic inch engine and use it to make grocery runs. Just like Im not gonna buy a 350+ dollar motherboard and have it run at stock speeds. All the parts I purchased, I bought at a local store and were all in working order. I tested each part to isolate the problem, if it wasn't the issue, I returned it to the store and they put it back for sale at a price 5% off the original. There is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with troubleshooting this way. Ive built computers long enough to know when something is not working as it should. Yeah th last motherboard worked, but not the way it was advertised to work (the baddest oc board around basically). When a prior gen 680i is curb stomping a state of the art 790i, I don't know about anyone else around here, but something just isin't quite right. I admit I push components hard sometimes. But thats why we have warranties and RMA's, we all mess up playing with fire. I killed 5 boards and never rma'd. I just bought another one. The defective ones, I returned to the store (DOA not induced).

I don't see any reason for bashing me because I was troubleshooting. Do me a favor; Imagine you buy $3,000 in computer parts and put it together, and then doesn't run right and you have no idea what it is. Tell me, how will you figure it out? Take it to the store so they can diag it and charge you oodles?

And yeah, about that q6600, its a pretty good one. I mentioned the 1.22 VID, I got lucky with that one. Now I have to order two more 320W meanwells for my Swiftech MCW-452 Water chiller. Im also ordering a 3rd PA 120.3 radiator, 9 aerocool 90cfm fans (push, pull), a 3rd pump, 2 reservoirs, tubing, splitters, gpu waterblock, a couple gaskets to replace on my Swiftech MCW-5000 tec cooler, vreg blocks, nb/sb block and some misc parts. Thats gonna hurt the wallet. But Who wouldnt want a water chilled tec block on their CPU? 700 watts of peltier power is boner inducing, but nightmarish power bills might hurt lol. With 2 more videocards, I think I can trip the circuit breakers WOOT!

So a bit over the top, but it will be fun putting it all together. I need to drop another 750 bucks in WC parts, and it will be ready. What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. Greggy

Greggy Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680 2GB
    I push my system a little, but you are on the knife edge, and I respect that. So long as you don't sell any parts you've hurt then all is fair in love and war when it comes to PC hardware!

I say go for it you bad boy!!!!

Greggy

3. SS_FireHawk

SS_FireHawk Member

GPU:
    gtx 280 @ 783/1566/2450
    Lol, no I don't return parts I broke. I usually give to a friend and what ever he does with em is his business.

I have to run 3 diff cooling loops for the stupid thing. One to cool the peltiers on the water chiller. That will needs it's own seperate pump and reservoir.

The second is going straight to the cpu which also has a tec on it. Im putting a splitter before and after the Tec so I can inject the sub zero chilled water to cool the tec and pull fluid back in Then it dumps off into the Vregs and back through the rad into a reservoir

The third will cool the NB/SB and the gtx 280, as well as any GPU's I add down the road. This also has it's own radiator, but shares the reservoir with the 2nd loop.

Im using all Koolance WC parts, 3 Thermochill PA 120.3 radiators, 3 mcp-350 pumps, one is in the koolance temp sensor, reservoir, and pump combo, and the peltier devices are all from swiftech.

I was thinking of waterchilling my GPU, but if I get 3, the first will be bone chilling cold, but the other two will progressively see less benefit unless I do some crazy 4 way splitting between the chiller, gpu's and NB/SB, which seems over complicated. So I decided on the CPU for some fun overclocking headroom.