Quick question for those that got 5.1 sound working in "Mass Effect"

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by TheSisko, Jul 7, 2008.

1. TheSisko

TheSisko Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB
    In cutscenes and when engaged in dialogue, do the voices play from all speakers at once?

I'm asking because they do for me, and I'm wondering whether it's normal, because in most games voices play from the center speaker, while in Mass Effect voices seem to play from all speakers simultaneously when I'm talking to another character and during cutscenes.

2. lpedraja2002

lpedraja2002 New Member

GPU:
    SLI 8800gt 675/1687/975
    I'll have to check if the voices comes from all speakers, but make sure you have 5.1 setup correctly in the Windows options. Go to Control Panel Sound & Audio Devices and click on Advanced or Speaker setup and set it to 5.1.

When I played Assassin's Creed the noises came from all speakers and it was because I had it set at 2.0.

3. TheSisko

TheSisko Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB
    I believe I've set it up correctly and everything except the voices during cutscenes/dialog is properly positioned so my guess is that the voice track during cutscenes lacks positional data and Bioware just chose to play it through all speakers instead of the center speaker...but it would be nice if someone else could confirm that:)

4. djordje81

djordje81 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GS 260GTX 1792GB
    In my case voices are coming from center only, in cp setings 5.1.
    in sb audigy panel 5.1. set, new drivers installed from sb official site, in game sound set to hardware, detected eax in upper mid setcion of the screen

5. TheSisko

TheSisko Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB
    Interesting, something might be wrong with my setup then. Are you getting sounds properly from the rear speakers during combat gameplay?

Are you running Vista or XP ?

6. TheSisko

TheSisko Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 640MB
    Could someone with a 5.1 setup please try the following:

1. Verify that 5.1 is working by checking if sound is appropriately coming from your rear speakers when you are in control of your character(for instance by talking to someone and spinning around 180 degrees)

2. Start a conversation where you lose control of your character and check whether voices play from the rear speakers as well as the front. Note that you might think you only hear it from the front until you actually put your ear closer to the rear speakers or mute the front speakers.