Vista start menu bug confirmed

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by gdeliana, Jul 1, 2008.

1. gdeliana

gdeliana Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1660 Ti
    The best system coming from the multi milliardaire Bill Gates has a very criticall and eye catchable bug in the start menu. I'm pretty sure that a lot of u has noticed it.The start menu laaaags a lot at the All programs list. It takes a while for each item to open and to show the contents inside. Although once u disable the "Highlight newly added progrmas in the start menu" Everything magically works faster. This has nothing to do with the delay time of start menu, or smth like this. This is pure laaagging. And to come and believe that it didn't got fixed even with the first service pack. Oh yeah that is because they are focused on DX10. Which is crap even in visuals. :bang:

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    to be honest i dont have lagg on the start menu. where did you read this ?

3. gdeliana

gdeliana Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1660 Ti
    I red only the way how to solve it. Because it was really irritating. This doesn't happne in the beggining but after u install like more than 30 programs maybe or smth like that. Anyway it happens. Also don't look at my system specs because i don't have it updated, but i own a intel core2duo 6400 processor and VGA: 8800 GTS 640MB. So don't tell me it could be because the drivers or because my system is slooow, i have the latest drivers and stuff. The system rocks and goes well everywhere like a Ferrari. Also other people have it try searching in google. It sucks the way how vista start menu shows the ALL PROGRAMS list. I like the start menu itself but the way how it shows selfcontained (i mean in xp it opened a menu aside, whereas here is inside). I wish i could change that behaviour to show them like in xp. I don't mean the classic strt menu by that.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    i changed the start menu back to the old one in my other rig with Vista, pain in the butt looking for programs if you ask me( yes you can used the search but as that rig is hooked upto the tv its easier to use mouse and no keyboard )

5. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    I got hundreds of programs installed... no lag.
    Wouldn't be suprised if it was your RAID setup causing the problem.

6. cette

cette Active Member

GPU:
    How can it really be such a pain, when the menu opens downwards instead of sideways as it does in xp. up , down , left , right. Man why am I even commenting on the start menu.

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    lol, nah, its easier to group them with the old menu

8. Steven Hone

Steven Hone Paolo the Gun

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3090 3X OC
    Since when has SP1 been about DX10? :3eyes:

I get no lag and I have been running Vista since it came out on the same installation. The fastest and most stable OS I have ever used. I am using the 64 bit ultimate edition ftw

9. gdeliana

gdeliana Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1660 Ti
    This is very odd. I tried it on my laptop the same also on friends pc (he's not using raid) happens the same after sometime. It takes about 5 secs to open one subcatagory. There is an option in start menu settings called "Highlight newly installed programs" When i uncheck it it opens everything fast. So let's suppose that is the raid fault. How do u connect the raid with this small visual ability that highlights only entries. Makes no sense. The only eplanation is calling it a BUG. Ok guys so i'm glad 4 u i thought that maybe is a normal problem. By the way thanks 4 the responses

10. gdeliana

gdeliana Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1660 Ti
    Yes it was said that dx10.1 would have been added in the infrastructure. But all i see in dxdiag is saying that i have version 10

11. Rochin

Rochin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX460 EE 1GB
    I also have a hundred or so applications installed. No lagg. Near instant switch. Bug my ass.

12. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    No problems here also.

13. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Vista Ultimate x64 SP1. I see no problem. I think it's because you only have 2GB of RAM. I use over 2GB of RAM just sitting at idle in Vista. And i bet your friend has 2GB as well.

2GB is just not enough in Vista (imho)

14. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    I just checked it and i have loads of apps installed (around 45) and nope, i'm not experiencing any lag, same thing on my laptop. Using Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 on both my main rig as my laptop.

Don't know where the fuss is all about. Sounds like FUD to me. :boozer:
    Of course, the OP doesn't have a (legit?) source.

Could be one of those Vista bashing thread in the sense of "Vista is bad because i tell you so!". :)

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    the startmenu is used mostly for the shortcuts than anything. i use objectdock and put all the shortcuts i need in it. its quicker and looks nicer. i have my entire startbar disabled.

16. Loster

Loster Master Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
  17. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    Vista is so good my head fell off :) :pc1:

<<joke>>

Vista Ultimate FTW :biggun:

18. CorNeLL

CorNeLL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon Graphics
    another basher.

19. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    yeah mines fine, im thinking another basher too.

20. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Works fine here.
    Although I never have that personalized menus enabled, always bugs the crap out of me.

Plus I don't hover my mouse over All Programs, I'm too impatient to wait, even a split second, just click on it and BAM!