so 3870x2 or 4870

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by TexasRebel, Jun 29, 2008.

1. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4 gig
    so its that time again to get a new video card. ive noticed both cards coast around the same price. so im wondering which one to get i was focused on a 3870 back in december. when i built this system but never had the money to get the card. now i do and ive seen a new one has come out so im wondering really is the 4870 woth it?? people say there better are they??

this is the one im looking at to buy here if i chose the 4870

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129113

tigerdirect has it the same price plus the 750watt powersupply i want i just have a 600 right now.

here is the power supply http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3556444

but really is the 4870s worth it?

2. XMerc

XMerc Member

GPU:
    PNY 7900GS 550/690
    The 4870. Hands down. It will be faster in almost every scenario, and you can even SLI it later on if you want more performance.

3. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    No you cant SLI... but you can crossfire

4. Waldo

Waldo Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 280
    From what I've seen of benchmarks with the 4870 it's slightly faster than a 3870x2 (with both gpus firing), but marginally. The real benefit of the 4870 over the 3870x2 is that it's a single gpu rather than having compatibility issues with running two gpus. Some games will work great with my x2, but some games run as if the card is a single 3870.

So if compatibility is an issue for you and you play alot of different games (like I do), then it would be a good fix, but not a huge improvement.

I'm waiting for the 4870x2's to come out. At least then if a game doesn't recognize 2 gpus then I'll still be running on a single 4870 which will still be good.

5. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Guest

GPU:
    ok now which brand i hear alot of good thigns about visontek. but right now im curently running a sapphire 1950xt. its never let me down and im running it with a 550w ps. for the new card one ofthem is an upgrade in power needed aswell?

6. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    Both Visiontek and Sapphire are good brands for ATi. My 2 most recent ATi purchases have been Sapphire, and they have been good to me.

7. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Guest

GPU:
    yeah the sapphire has been good to me also. i hear alot of good thigns bout visiontek too.

my main thing is will my 550w ps supply handle it ive got to pci x 6 pin connectors

8. Waldo

Waldo Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 280
    Depends on the rest of your system and how good your ps is. What processor and are you overclocking the cpu, gpu? How many drives, fans, etc.?

9. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Guest

GPU:
    omg i havnt ordered from tigerdirect in a a year. ive jsut noticed they strated charging taxes for texas. gay i guess ill order from the egg when the get. the visontek card in the eggs review. on the sapphire isnt bad but people have said they came dmaaged.

10. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Guest

GPU:

11. Waldo

Waldo Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 280
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  12. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Guest

GPU:
  13. Waldo

Waldo Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 280
    I'd be wary of ps's with lots of fancy features, it means they're cheaping out on the more important internal components. Just look at all the DOA comments. You really want something rock solid and stable, tried and tested, when you're counting on it to power all your other valuable assets. In my travels I've read that OCZ is a good brand. And just look at the reviews and the number of them.

14. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Guest

GPU:
    well i dont run any lights except for whats in the fan. and it was DOA with the eggs rma it be ok. that one has some feature Adjustable Output Voltage to fit special applications

whats that for is that good or what???

i liek the lights my currnt ps has lights

15. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Guest

GPU:

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The 3870X2 is strong, but you risk performance because the X2 is running in Crossfire, which is not perfect yet, where as a single card like the 4870, will do you just fine.

17. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Guest

GPU:
    yeha i got the video card im lookin for a powersupply now

18. xBeldin

xBeldin Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT 512MB / Zalman VF1000
  19. TexasRebel

TexasRebel Guest

GPU:
    im lookin for one with lights and bout 140 or so. like the one i got posted in the first post here second link bout that price range. and need one bout 750w or so

20. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    (S)calable (L)ink (I)nterface is for nVidia GPUs. You're thinking of Crossfire.
    Anyway, I happen to agree.