Better for Gaming: Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by spunkyXL, Jun 21, 2008.

1. spunkyXL

spunkyXL Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    My soundcard has an option for DDL or DTS Interactive, which one should I choose for my 5.1 Setup? I'm mostly using this for gaming.

Thanks!

2. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForceā„¢ 8800 GTS Fat
    Out of interest sake, which card is this? Might help since the card can do it in 2 completely different ways.

DTS is obviously more advanced but some receivers only support DDL thus you also need to tell us which receiver you use.

The performance between the 2 should theoretically be the same as both is "real time" technologies.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    DTS is "preferred" among many HT enthusiast as it has a bit better compression ratios..etc.

To note, with many of the modern cards like Prelude etc, analog to a receiver will sound much better in most cases then the same card and receiver using a digital connection. Unless you have a extremely high end receiver.

4. spunkyXL

spunkyXL Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    I'm using the Auzentech Xplosion Sound Card with Sony Bravia DAV-HDX275 Receiver via TOSLINK Cable.

[​IMG]

5. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    ive done a quick search, and i don't think you can hook up your computer with analog cables because it doesnt look like your reciever has the right connections for that.
    as far as dts vs ddl goes, listen to ROBSCIX, he is probably the best here about audio.

6. spunkyXL

spunkyXL Guest

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    Toslink Cable DOES NOT = Analog

7. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    wtf do you mean with that? i know perfectly well that toslink isnt analog. i was reffering to the comment ROBSCIX made:
    i meant to say that the OP's receiver doesnt have the nessecary inputs to do this, and so he had to use a digital connection. since the only way to get surround over toslink is dolby digital or dts, you need a card that can do ddl or dts interactive(or whatever its called).

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    @Kwak, yeah but he didn't mention that his system didn;t have analog inputs in the original post. Just a simple questions. I usually mention that anyways to people who ask about digital....

Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  9. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Dolby has the better compression ratio. That's why it's data stream isn't as wide as DTS.

try to do some A/B comparisons.

Off the top of my head, I'd pick DTS because it doesn't have to compress the sound as much; even though, the Dolby stream is smaller just because it's has a better compression ratio.

It's like comparing MPEG2 to MPEG4. You can get the same quality out of both, but it's up to how they're mastered.

Because of that, you have to see of the DTS or DDL sound bad in some situations.

10. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I will agree to some extent that saying one is better then the other is not quite black and white. When you consider the numbers, The default bit rate for DD is 384 kbps and the DTS bit rate is 1400 kbps. This means, atleast DTS has the ability to sound better then Dolby Digital but it depends one things such as your playback gear etc. One might have trouble telling the difference between the two one lesser quality equipment.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008

11. CJ3D

CJ3D Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX970 4GB
  12. MrBozack

MrBozack Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7850OC Windforce
    If I had to choose, I'd say dts.
    dts always sounds more "directional" for me.
    I suppose it depends on the source, the hardware and environment you're in...

13. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    DTS. Always use it when available in my Cinema.