Radeon HD4870 User Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ottoyu34, Jun 28, 2008.

1. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    Radeon HD48XX series User Thread

Hi gurus!

I would like to start a user thread so all you can share experience
    on the new 48XXs. It would be like to share with us what you have done
    with the card ( OC clocks/ WC/ benchmarks, etc)

I just got my sapphire 4870 from a local shop and they only have 2 left.
    They told me 15 were shipped to them for the first shipment. They are
    hard to find.

So heres mine:
    [​IMG]

I am building a system for it. So i still need parts to complete

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. MileHighMilitia

MileHighMilitia Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD4850 + TT DuOrb 700/1135
    how about we switch this to an rv770 thread instead, and people can share everything that has to do with their rv770 based cards?

3. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Received my HIS HD 4870 yesterday from NewEgg and Wow! pretty much sums it up. :banana:

Initially I had a problem loading the 8.6 Hotfix drivers. l did a custom install of the Hotfix Cat 8.6 drivers and the installation failed. Re-installed from the Bin folder directly and then the screen blacked out on me and didn't come back. Let it sit until the hard driver stopped churning. Re-booted and everything was fine. Drivers were installed, Cat Control Center was functional. Perhaps I should have installed the HIS CD Drivers first before the Hotfix I don't know. Everything was working fine after that though.

Anyway, first thing I did was check my temps and they were at 80c. Ouch. Started sweating a bit. But then I ran a 3D Stress test and the temps soared to only 84c .:) So I didn't feel so bad after that. Also the ambient temperature in the room where my setup is runs 75F-77F. and is the warmest room in the house. Temp later dropped to 78C at idle after sun went down. My case airflow is fine by the way as my GTS 512MB idled at 42C and 62c underload. Also don't let the temps scare you off of this card. Card has been working great, no lockups, and temps maxxing out at 89C. I also heard over on Rage3D that a Beta Tester was using sone new Cats which dropped his temps to 49c at idle. You can also expect fan control utilities to start showing up in about a month.

Anyway, played a quick round of Prey, and I'll I can say is Wow! Thought my previous GTS 512MB looked great. This card looks phenominal. I was playing at 1680x1050 using 8X AA / 8X AF with V-Sync Always On. My Framerates NEVER dipped below 60 FPS. IQ off the hook.

Gave Turok a play which is a little more demanding than Prey. :) Also bumped up my settings to 8X AA / 16X AF all in game settings maxxed. FPS = 57-60 / V-Sync enabled. Smooth as butter. Never skipped a beat.

Played Call of Juarez with the same AA/AF settings as Turok. All in game settings maxxed except for the Shadow Map Size which I left at 1024 as 2048 caused a major drop in framerates.

Also tried "Land of the Dead" for kicks. Even this old game looks so much better using this card. Also happened to find out using Fraps that V-Sync doesn't work with this game as I was getting 215-310 FPS.

Here are a few pics. No comments on my wiring. :grin: My only goal is to keep the motherboard free of wires.

Also interesting note on the HIS. I read before buying it that it came with a screwdriver. At the time I thought it was pretty silly, but it's actually pretty cool extra as it's also a flashlight and level.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  4. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    And I just spent money on an 8800GT about 2 months ago... :(

Oh well, the 8800GT is still great performing for me, and price/performance wasn't bad back then either...
    Still, kinda makes me regret it now, since I can't afford to upgrade at the moment...
    Also, retailers in Denmark are ripping people off, it costs 200-300£ at the moment, which is up to 200% of the rated price... Sigh.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I am seriously considering getting one of these cards...

But I am still tempted by the GTX280... as they are the fastest cards around...

Im just not too sure...

Would an ATI 512MB 4870 be a good upgrade from my 768MB 8800GTX???

As my 8800GTX has more memory, and has a higher 383-bit interface opposed to 256-bit of the 4870. I will still be playing at 1680x1050 resolution and I like to have 4xAA/16xAF enabled, also V-Sync and Triple buffering enabled in most games....

Also these cards use PCI-E 2.0 would they work in a PCI-E 1.1 slot?

Answers on a post card to my inbox please... lol or just quote me and answer me here.

6. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Dude, the memory on the 4870 is about 4 times as performing as the memory on 8800GTX. You don't need more memory or a wider bus, GDDR5 can be clocked, as Hilbert said, to more than 4400MHz. The least thing you'll need is more memory / wider bus ;)

And yes, they're fully backwards compatible with PCI-E 1.1, and at most, you'll experience a 4FPS~ decrease compared to PCI-E 2.0. So no worries, buddy.

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    thank you... you are the only person that has been bothered to answer my question striaght forward like this. I am on my way back to TEAM RED once more! :)

8. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Yeah, me too... And last time I was on team red, was with the ATI Rage Pro 128... That's just centuries ago :)

No problem, by the way.

9. Kon$olE

Kon$olE Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Seriously, seriously considering buying one of these cards. Great stuff, I love seeing ATI comeing back really strong with there cards.
    Sadly I'm low on the dollars at the moment, having recently purchased an arsenal of new gadgets. Lowest I can find for is 310 for one of these which is jaw-droppingly good!

Choices, choices :(

10. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2008

11. MileHighMilitia

GPU:
    To the guy with the HIS 4870, i had the same exact problem when i installed the hotfix drivers on my card. Screen blacked out, but everything worked otherwise after restart. One thing about the HIS screwdriver is that i broke mine already. I was trying to install a fan with it and the plastic cracked around the top allowing the bit tip to spin. Nothing a little super glue couldnt fix though. Great cards overall!

12. MR.BONES

MR.BONES Master Guru

GPU:
    xfx6850
    Just ordered the Visiontek flavor...Cant wait to get rid of my A2 revision 8800gts640:) Havent had an ATI card since the 9800 pro era.:biggun:

13. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    my previous ATI card is a OEM ATI X850 XT PE. I think its pretty legendary.

I guess I will give the 8.6 drivers a try instead. Because ATI claims that the driver is not fully tested and cause some trouble here.

14. Fox McCloud

Fox McCloud Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI Radeon 3650
    Wow, that HIS card looks awesome.
    Nice simple elegant and RED :)
    <Much better than the ones addorned with radom 3d women.
    I think i also like the look of the Asus one, with the flowers. Its...different.

15. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Thanks Fox. You mentioned the Asus card, one of the pluses with that card is the SmartDoctor Utility which you can use to adjust the fan-speed on the card. I think they're the only ones that have this so far. Fan-control should be coming soon to all the cards one way or another though.....

16. TiesTorN

TiesTorN Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 285
    Will there be a HIS IceQ3 Turbo 4870 soon? 'cuz I wanna buy an overclocked version of this card and my choice will probably be HIS.

17. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Yeah, that plastic doesn't look very durable. I have one of those PC tool kits anyway. I like the flashlight part of it though. Should come in handy. Enjoy your card.

18. MileHighMilitia

GPU:
    And you as well! :)

19. PixelPerfect

PixelPerfect Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 285
    I have a 8800GT right now and are thinking about go ATI this round and a 4870 or 4870X2 but have wondering the same thing!

He says that 512Mb is enough couse the memory is that fast, I have thougt about that to but I aint so sure about that.

Do the speed really counts, as newer games sure gonna get more memory intensive with better more textures and shaders. 512Mb is 512 Mb how you cut it I think so what happens when the card cannot store all the goddies I wonder.

I think it's best to wait for a 1024Mb card or if some devs or other in the buisness says otherwise, just my 2 cents.

20. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Thats if the card can actually make use of the extra available bandwidth, which I doubt right now since cards weren't entirely held back with the previous standard apart from some cases.

Long time no see HJ.